Hello there, parents and parents-to-be!

We’ve moved the conversation to Facebook. Although we have turned off new registrations here, we have kept all prior posts for you to read for inspiration, information, and lots of success stories! We hope to see you on our public group or private group on Facebook.

Public Private
Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Message icon:


shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

Topic Summary

Posted by: wylee
« on: May 04, 2017 at 02:33 PM »

Hello Tink27,

How are you holding up? Are you on bedrest in the hospital or at home? I'm on modified bedrest still. They switched me from strict to modified at 32 weeks, and I'm now 36 weeks.  I tried to be diligent with my strict bedrest and do what the doctor said. I know when I got switched to modified, I probably did more walking than what he would like, but I was going stir crazy.  I'm still taking it day by day, and really listening to my body.

Take Care and I hope it turns out for you!!
Posted by: Tink27
« on: April 29, 2017 at 05:12 AM »

Hi Angela. Yes I got the stitch yesterday, just in time too I think, the surgeon said that there wasn't a lot of cervix to work with. I'm very glad I got it now, I'm just praying it does it's job and keeps our baby girl where she's meant to be for a few more weeks. I'm 22+1 today and really hoping time goes quickly.

Wylee it's good to hear your stitch has held up well for you, you've done so well. If I could get to 34 weeks I'd be more than happy xx
Posted by: Angela
« on: April 27, 2017 at 08:53 AM »

Hello, Tink27. How is everything going for you? Did you get the stitch?
Posted by: wylee
« on: April 24, 2017 at 02:04 PM »

Hello Tink27,

I had bulging membranes and was dilated 2 cm at 20 weeks with no warning, so they gave me an emergency cerclage called a hefner or wurm cerclage since I had little cervix left.  My amniotic sac had slipped through and they had to push it back up very carefully. It was so scary because of the risk of my water breaking and infection.  If I had the chance to get it in a non-emergency situation I would have definitely went that route.  I've been on bedrest for more than 100 days, but I know this cerclage and bedrest saved my baby.  I'm 34 weeks + 5 today. I'm an ivf patient and never been pregnant on my own, so I'm so happy my baby was spared, but they didn't give me good odds back at 20 weeks.

I have a friend who knew her cervix was shortening and her doctor put in a pessary instead and not a cerclage and she had her baby at 25 weeks. Everyone's situation is different, and it's hard to know all of the facts of other people's successes and failures or why doctor's recommendations vary, but I  hope your decision will become clearer to you. I have heard other people who've done well with pessaries, so who really knows!!

Take Care,


Posted by: Tink27
« on: April 23, 2017 at 07:37 AM »

Thank you for your reply monkeygirl. I'm definitely swaying towards the stitch, it just scares me so much incase something happens because of the stitch.glad to hear the stitch is working for you, how far along are you now?xx
Posted by: Monkeygirl
« on: April 22, 2017 at 09:37 AM »

Hi Tink!
I know the decision to get a stitch is a tough one. I had an emergent one placed at 18 weeks, 6 days with only 5 mm of cervix remaining. The chances of the stitch working are better when you have more cervix remaining. I would rather do it when you still have some cervical length to prevent further shortening. The procedure itself isn't bad and the recovery isn't bad either. They monitor you closely after for signs of preterm labor and infection and also start you on progesterone to help with cervical closure and prevent preterm contractions. The cervix can shorten and dialate without warning. The stitch is the only thing holding my baby in right now. Sorry for the rambling but I hope this is helpful! I'll be keeping you and your babe in my prayers!
Posted by: Tink27
« on: April 22, 2017 at 06:05 AM »

Hi, hoping some of you ladies can help me. I had lletz treatment for CIN3 about 10 years ago so when I told my consultant this he booked me in to have a cervical length scan at 16 weeks which was 34mm, I was told to have another scan at 20 weeks which was 18mm, so quite a big drop. I'm now 21+1 weeks and I'm booked in to have another scan Monday but I'm also booked in to have the stitch on Tuesday. My consultant hasn't told me what's best to do, he just keeps saying it's up to me and that there is risks to having the stitch, it could send me into preterm labour. This is mine and my husbands first baby and it's taken a while to get here, 3 ectopics, 2 failed ivf, and this little miracle happened naturally. Now I feel it could be snatched away at any point. What would you ladies do in my position, would you take the risk and have the stitch or just wait and see? Thanks for reading xx