Hello there, parents and parents-to-be!

We’ve moved the conversation to Facebook. Although we have turned off new registrations here, we have kept all prior posts for you to read for inspiration, information, and lots of success stories! We hope to see you on our public group or private group on Facebook.

Public Private
Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - EnglishRose23

Pages: [1]
So my drs had warned me when they started the steriods for baby's lungs that it can affect my glucose numbers...

Didn't seem so bad the first day since they were starving me anyway in case of emergency c-section, but yesterday after a long fought battle for food privileges I finally got to eat lunch and dinner and my post meal readings were sky high (mid 200's after 30 pathetic carbs) and my fasting this morning was 140. I'm already on insulin treatment anyway but I don't feel like my drs seem to be on top of adjusting my doses enough to keep this under control.

For those who've had to deal with this combination before how long did it take for your glucose to get back to its normal after steriods?  (I have my makena tomorrow too that always gives them a bump too!!)

On a related note one weird thing, the morning before my contractions and abruption started my numbers went off a cliff, like half my usual after breakfast and battling off hypoglycemia in the 50's with emergency candy and extra snacks all morning. I'm convinced that was somehow a warning sign of something being wrong with my placenta before it started detaching but the drs I mentioned it to on admission were completely dismissive of the idea. Thoughts?

So after feeling slightly off yesterday I now have a full blown head cold. But besides the expected snot, sinus headache, loss of appetite,  painful ears and throat, and chesty cough my uterus seems very irritated by the situation with a big increase in cramping, pressure and back pain. For those of you with an irritable uterus have you noticed things getting temporarily worse when you catch a virus? Really don't want to go in to get poked and prodded at just for a cold that will resolve itself.

Preterm Labor: Anything and Everything / Pelvic pressure?
« on: April 05, 2018 at 08:23 AM »
Hi Ladies,

20+3 right now, should I be worried about a significant increase in pelvic/vaginal pressure this week? Since Monday I've been having a heaviness between my legs with a something-could-just-fall-out kind of feeling. My last cervical length was still great at 3.5cm, and my next one is scheduled a week from today. Really don't want to go to the dr's if it is just an irrational worry because now I'm switched to the MFM it's a long drive for an appointment. Bothers me most when I'm standing, but is still enough pressure when I'm laying down that it is waking me at night so I get up to pee and try and relieve the pressure which doesn't seem to help.  My guess is my girl is just in an uncomfortable position for me, but I do still worry about any change in symptoms.


Making the Best of Bed Rest / Nesting
« on: March 25, 2018 at 03:07 PM »
Hi ladies

Does anyone have any advice on containing crazy nesting instincts when you are supposed to be resting? It's kicked in so strong for me the past few days. I'm behaving myself so far but the urge to deep clean is ridiculously strong. A part of me is nervous that the nesting itself is a warning sign since I ppromed with my daughter at 21 weeks after nesting set in at 20 weeks (i'm 19 weeks along now)

Preterm Labor: Anything and Everything / Road trip??
« on: March 06, 2018 at 08:17 PM »
So a very brief background (my full story is on another thread) I'm here on self-imposed modified bed-rest after extensive bleeding and cramping this pregnancy and a history of preterm labor (daughter delivered @ 24 weeks, son @ 28 weeks).

I have a dilemma approaching: next week I'm supposed to be taking my 3 year old son to see a geneticist, problem is it is almost a 4 hour drive each way, and one of the long list of things that sets off very painful cramping for me is bumpy car rides (and this will be backroads of Vermont for me to get there). I asked my OB about it at my 16 week check-up today and she wasn't too thrilled with the idea of her high-risk patient going for a long bumpy car ride but didn't say no-definitely-not either.

If it was anything else I'd have cancelled it already, but it's taken us 8 months to get this appointment, and it's likely our son won't be able to continue in the program that pays for his twice weekly PT unless we have a definitive diagnosis by his annual review coming up in a few weeks. I just hate taking a risk like this for something that is non-urgent. Not really something I can productively send my husband on alone since I've been the one managing our sons medical care from day one it would be hard from him to fill my shoes on this (its a rather complicated medical history).

Thoughts? Cancel or go for it and hope the ride doesn't trigger another bleed or worse?

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Keeping entertained!
« on: February 16, 2018 at 06:51 PM »
Thought I'd share this since it's one distraction I've been enjoying while stuck in bed, I've downloaded a few retro computer games I remember from my childhood, enjoying the nostalgia while I play them (for me little big adventure 1 & 2 and Abe's Exodus). I found them on www.gog.com but I'm sure there are other vendors out there too.

What were your favorite computer games when you were younger?

Sometimes it's hard to feel like you are accomplishing anything during long days on bedrest, I've been doing constructive things too (like our taxes, cleaning out emails) but video games definitely give you that instant and artificial sense of accomplishment for your mental health when you level up, beat the bad-guy etc.

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Back for round 3
« on: December 26, 2017 at 09:46 PM »
Here I am again!

This is pregnancy #5 for me.

#1 early miscarriage
#2 Heavy first trimester bleeding, PPROM at 21 weeks 6 days, vaginal birth at 24 weeks 1 day. Daughter Sophie lived almost 24 hours.
#3 early miscarriage
#4 First trimester bleeding, placenta previa from 12 weeks, cervical length scans (normal) and progesterone shots from 16 weeks, first round of preterm labor at 18 weeks 3 days, multiple rounds of heavy bleeding and preterm labor to follow, steroids at 24 weeks when they thought I'd deliver, ended up making it to 28 weeks 6 days and had an emergency c-section due to a placental abruption. Son Vincent initially spent 11 weeks in the NICU, he's had many trips back to the hospital since, but overall he is a happy thriving 3.5yr old.

#5 Crazily enough this is a planned pregnancy, I'm 6 weeks along now but it's not been going smoothly. Bad cramping from before I even had my first pregnancy test, gets much worse with even light activity. Sunday night I had my first bleed and it was a massive one, I was up all night changing pads and passing golf ball sized clots of blood in the toilet. It stopped as suddenly as it started, had an ultrasound today to confirm the miscarriage and baby was still in there, healthy and normal with a heartbeat. It was right at the 6 week mark I bled heavily with my other children, so apparently this is something I do. So now I'm on bedrest for the week, I'm sure there will be more to follow. I've lost track of how many weeks of bedrest and hospital bedrest I clocked up between Vincent and Sophie but it was A LOT. I have a uterine septum that I've had surgery to remove but some still remains, I'm being considered "high-risk" again and being seen by MFM once I've made it past my first trimester.

It's going to be a bumpy ride! I'm already finding bedrest so much harder than I did before, I stay home to care for my son so it's not something I can take a break from really. He's trying his best to help mom out so far though <3

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Feedback on business idea please!
« on: June 22, 2016 at 03:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,

So I lurk here from time to time when I need an extra reminder of how hard bedrest and pregnancy is (we want more kids, but it would not be a good idea!)

Anyway, I'm currently a stay-home mama to my two year old son, and had been thinking of doing some childcare in my home to help make ends meet...but I was thinking maybe instead of being just another child care provider that I would specifically tailor my services to bedridden mothers. Below is a rough draft of what I was thinking of offering, I would love some input from this group on what services you would value most from a care provider. Thanks!

Resting Mama

Experiencing a high-risk pregnancy?
Doctor put you on bedrest?
Help is here!

My name is Shona Elliott, I am new to the Saratoga area and starting up my own business offering bespoke services to expectant moms who need some extra help.
As a two-time graduate of extended bedrest myself, I know how hard this time in your life is. You are not alone, and I can work with you to put together a package that meets your needs without breaking your budget.
Services Available Include:
Childcare at your place or mine
School pickups/drop offs
Grocery shopping
Errand running
Light Cleaning
Meal Preparation
Pet care
Emotional support (free!)
Nursery preparation (everything from décor to crib assembly)
24 hour emergency childcare when you go into labor
Post-partum assistance during your recovery
Extended hours available if your little one needs a NICU stay

All services include the extra assistance of my very enthusiastic two year old son Vincent. Our goal is to provide you with the full-spectrum of services you need so you can truly relax and stay off your feet; every single day you can keep your child in the womb is an incredible gift to them. Do not try to do this on your own!

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Care for other children during bedrest??
« on: September 08, 2015 at 01:11 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I posted on here a little while back while pregnant and on hospital bedrest with my son Vincent. He was born at 28 weeks and 6 days. He's 15 months adjusted now and doing amazingly well. My daughter Sophie was born at 24 weeks and 1 day and passed away on her second day of life (she would have been 3 years old now). Needless to say, both pregnancies were complicated.

My husband and I are talking about the idea of attempting another pregnancy, but given my history I am almost sure to need to spend at least some time on bedrest. It was bad enough before, but I can't imagine doing it and taking care of an extremely active toddler. I gave up my job to take care of Vincent while he's little, and we aren't wealthy enough to pay for in  home childcare and have me not working. Moms with kids...how do you do it? If we were to think about trying again I would want to have a plan for what we do during bedrest and hospitalizations, so I would love to hear any of your experiences and ideas.

Thank you!    :D

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Hospital Bedrest: 4 legged friends
« on: March 16, 2014 at 07:48 PM »
I know one of the hardest things for  me about being on hospital bedrest is missing my dogs; on home bedrest they would lay at my side all day and were a wonderful source of comfort to me.

Today, I was able to have a special visit from my youngest (a 3 yr old beagle mix), and it cheered me up a lot. He cuddled up on my hospital bed for most of the afternoon. I just wanted to share this with everyone here, because no doctors/nurses will suggest it to you, but if you ask for pet visits you may be surprised at what can be arranged (it is OK to be pushy!). Even if you don't have pets at home, consider requesting a visit from a therapy dog.

Good luck!

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Poem for you
« on: February 20, 2014 at 08:02 PM »
A poem written by my great-great aunt. It's always one I think of when facing hard times and impossible odds. Stay strong ladies.

O, take this solace for the bitterest cup,

There is no failure, save in giving up,

No real fall, as long as one still tries,

For seeming set-backs make the strong man wise,

There's no defeat, in truth, save from within,

Unless you're beaten there, you're bound to win.

Hi everyone,

I came across this site a while ago but have never got around to posting before. Now I'm stuck on hospital bed rest I figure I have the time to say hi and share my story.

I am currently 24 weeks and 2 days into my fourth pregnancy. Like many on here I have a messy OB history. Baby #1 and #3 were early miscarriages.

My daughter Sophie was baby #2, with her I had HEAVY bleeding for over a month late in my first trimester so we were constantly expecting to miscarry. Miraculously when we had our mid-pregnancy scan at 18 weeks she was perfect and healthy head to toe. Our relief was short lived though, because at 21 weeks and 6 days my waters broke out of the blue. Neither myself or DH actually believed I could have broken my waters...we thought it HAD to be an embarrassing leak of urine or something, but we went to get it checked out at the hospital just in case.

Once at the hospital they hooked me up to all the monitors and swabbed me to test for amniotic fluid. When the test came back positive we asked the doctor what that meant for our baby girl. He told us it was too early for them to do anything. I would deliver within the next 24 hours and she would not survive. As we broke down over the news, the doctor gave us the option of waiting 24 hours for nature to take it's course or to get it over with now by induction. I refused induction and argued with the doctor, insisting there had to be more options since I was not having any labor contractions and was not dilated. I remembered stories of 23 weekers surviving and I did not want to give up on my daughter. The hospital near my house is a good enough facility but they did not have any high risk maternal fetal medicine specialists, or a NICU that could deal with micro-preemies. Despite the doctors repeated warnings that there was no hope he finally listened to my demands and called the hospital across the lake which did have those facilities. They agreed to take me in for evaluation.

After being loaded up with antibiotics, and waiting what seemed like forever for my ambulance ride I finally transferred (don't even get me started on the ride over...backwards in an ambulance on a rocky ferry at 2am). Once at my destination they once again checked me for dilation (none), amniotic fluid (tested positive) ,put me on continuous monitoring for contractions and signs of stress in baby (none) and did an ultrasound to assess my fluid levels (none left).

Several doctors came in to consult with me and my husband, explaining the bleak odds, the dangers of infection, and they all agreed that induction was the recommended course of action. What was different is that they did give us the OPTION, to wait it out and see how things progressed after explaining how statistically unlikely it would be for me to go more than 72 hours. My husband and I agreed that despite the outlook that we wanted to do whatever it took to give our daughter a chance so we decided to wait it out. I was checked in as an inpatient, and after a few nights of showing no signs of going into labor they moved me from the L&D ward to the maternity ward to camp out.

Lots of monitoring for infection revealed an ever so slightly elevated white blood cell count, but no other signs of infection so they started me on some really intensive antibiotics to try to prevent infection setting in. I don't recall the name, just that it felt like ice cold poison being pumped through my veins. I was on very strict bedrest to try to let gravity hold new fluid in for baby, but it just kept leaking out anyway. After I amazed all the doctors by making it past the 72 hour window they began to talk about steroids if I made it to 24 weeks, and had neonatal and ethics consultants come to talk to us about survival and disability at 23 weeks. The recommendation for a 23 week delivery was "comfort care" only, but they would attempt resuscitation at the parents wishes. We asked for every measure to be taken if I reached the magic 23 week mark. We celebrated 23 weeks. More consultations followed, and one of my high-risk doctors was willing to push the envelope and start steroids before 24 weeks so I got those fun shots.

Yet another week in hospital and I had officially amazed all the doctors by not going into labor, not even hinting at going into labor. Things were starting to look more hopeful. Then at 24 weeks and 1 day the contractions started. I had a vaginal birth 9 hours later which I can remember in vivid detail to this day. The magnesium they gave me for babies brain gave me a unpleasant flu like feeling, but I otherwise delivered smoothly without medication. My girl was whisked away to be tubed, but we heard the tiniest and most reassuring little cry from her first. After what seemed like an eternity they had her tubed and breathing, and rolled her over to say hi to me and hubby before getting sent down to the NICU. She was so tiny at 1 lb, 10.5 oz, but not how I had expected a preemie to look, she was so well filled out with muscular arms and legs, her skin was a beautiful delicate pink, her little face like a dolls with whispers of fine blond hair on her head. As they wheeled her out of the room I turned to the doctor and asked if I was supposed to be bleeding this heavily. All eyes had been fixed on my daughter for the past ten minutes, so no one had noticed the increasing pool of blood between my legs. The placenta was not coming out on it's own, and without being able to wait for pain meds the doctor had to reach in and rip it out, something incredible painful given how sore I was from the birth, and that by the time I delivered the placenta and uterus were both brewing nasty infections.

The fun of the birth was not yet over, because they immediately hooked up more antibiotics to my IV. Unfortunately the nurse forget that there was still a bag of magnesium hanging on my IV and accidentally turned that on at the same time. I had been starved for the past 9 hours, so sent my husband for toast and apple juice. By the time he came back I was flat on the delivery table with doctors yelling at me to stay with them. A massive overdose of magnesium had progressed me quickly from being feverish and throwing up to fading away on the table with all my muscles shutting down. I could hear everyone yelling, but couldn't move my mouth to respond. I remember seeing them hit my knee to test my reflexes and my leg just hanging there limp. I remember how hard I had to concentrate not to fall asleep, and to remember to keep breathing in and out. Someone finally realized what had happened and pulled the magnesium, switching it out for calcium which acts as an antidote. I slowly came back to the land of the living.

My daughter was born at 9:36 pm. We didn't hear any news until almost 3am, when they finally let me go from labor and delivery, and the NICU sent up word she was stabilized and we could visit her. It was different seeing her there, all hooked up with tubes and the ventilator pumping fast unnatural breathes into her tiny lungs. The doctor told us she was critically ill, but holding her own so far. We sat there with her for a few hours, dazed and in love, but completely overwhelmed and frightened. At last I dragged myself away back to my room, I wanted her to have breast milk, and my time window to get things going was running out. So at 4 in the morning the lactation nurse came in and showed me how to use the electronic breast pump. The tiny vials I expressed were sent up to the NICU for my daughter. Exhausted I managed about 2 hours sleep.

Showered and ready to go, we spent most of the next day at my daughter's side. I had to keep leaving to pump, and we took a lunch break to keep up our strength, but otherwise we stayed there, gently holding her hand or stroking her feet. Reading her stories softly that we had read to her when she was in my belly. All the nurses said how good she looked, more like a 25 or a 26 weeker with her build. Her weeks without fluids though had taken a toll on her lungs, and things got progressively worse during the day. The doctors used many big medical terms, but basically even on maximum settings the ventilator wasn't getting her enough oxygen, and her other vital organs were beginning to shut down. She was on her way out and there was nothing else they could do. They suggested taking her off ventilation so she could die more comfortably in our arms. After getting a second opinion we finally understood there was really no hope left. They took detached her from all the tubes and wires, and late that evening she died our arms.

Roll on forward through all the anguish and grief of losing a child, past the tiny coffin, past the return to work and college, to the part where we try again, after many failed attempts by me to try to convince my husband that adoption was a better option.

The doctors were able to tell us from examining the placenta that it was not an infection that caused my membranes to rupture although it was infection that caused the labor over two weeks later. They're best explanation was my abnormal uterus. It was discovered early in my second pregnancy, they thought it was bicornuate at the time, but evaluations afterwards determined it was in fact a large septum. It was heavy with a wide base, dividing my uterus almost completely in two. The sheer weight of it gave the exterior of the uterus a bicornuate shape. I had surgery to remove the septum, which was hailed as a complete success by my overconfident surgeon who was convinced he got the whole thing.

We started trying again 6 months after the surgery, almost a year after my daughter's birth. We had no idea how long it would take for us to get pregnant again as I have a whole host of fertility issues, including PCOS and endometriosis. Amazingly we got pregnant quickly, only to miscarry again. Months later of tracking ovulation cycles and peeing on sticks obsessively we got another positive.

Heavy bleeding and cramping at 6 weeks got us into the doctors quickly, but they decided I wasn't miscarrying yet but guess what showed up on the scan...my septum, turns out they only managed to remove 7mm of it. This time round we went to the hospital across the lake for all our appointments, as a high risk patient of the maternal-fetal-medicine team. Plan of action was cervical length scans every two weeks from 16 weeks and weekly progesterone shots starting at 16 weeks. I had many trips in for ultrasounds in my first trimester, as the bleeding and cramping kept returning sporadically. They found my placenta was completely covering my cervix at 12 weeks, but I was reassured that it was almost certain to move as the pregnancy progressed.

The second trimester started out well. I was on pelvic rest and taking it easy around the house and we went weeks without problems. At 18 weeks 3 days I sat in the breakroom at work with a glass of water, a co-worker saw I was distracted and asked what was wrong, my answer: "I'm timing my contractions, I think I may need to call my doctor". They were about 5 mins apart, over a minute long, painful, and coming from my back round to my front. Off to labor and delivery for evaluation, but my cervix looked great so they sent me home. They contractions continued for 4 solid days and nights, and then seemed to ease up after my weekly progesterone shot on Sunday night. After a few days of no contractions, there was suddenly blood in the toilet, and 30 mins later the contractions were back with vengeance. Into labor and delivery again. Cervix looked good, the active bleed stopped and they sent me home on bedrest. I went two weeks before my second bleed; the story was the same, contractions and bleeding but no dilation. They sent me home again, as it was still too early for them to help my baby boy if things took a turn for the worse.

Another five days and I was on the phone to the hospital again, after seeing what I was sure was my mucus plug in the toilet. Sent home again since cervix looked good. 3 more days brought me to this past Sunday, my official 24 week mark of viability. Saturday night the cramping had started up again, and I was so relieved to see no blood in my first morning urine on Sunday, but bam, an hour later I sprung a fresh bleed. Off to the hospital. I had one bleed too many for the doctors comfort, and now I was at viability they decided to keep me in. The bleed was not too big, and stopped not long after I got the the hospital. They put me and high risk for early delivery given my history, and the intense contractions the bleeds have been triggering, in addition my white blood cell count is coming back high and they think I could be brewing an infection at the site of the repeated bleed. And then there's my septum of course, who knows what trouble that is planning on causing.

Despite the reassurances at 12 weeks, the placenta previa is still complete. All my cervical length scans came back great, so no cervical incompetence at least. They've given me steroids for my little boys lungs, and I'm still getting my weekly progesterone shots. I''m on hospitalized bedrest for a week minimum to see if I bleed or go into labor. So far things have went smoothly and uneventfully during my hospital stay, so I am hoping I will get discharged at the end of the week, it is very strange being back here, where I have so many memories. At this point all I can do is watch and wait and drink lots of water.

 My hearts go out to the rest of you in these scary impossible situations. Wishing you all the best outcomes. Sorry for the super long post, which I was too lazy to check for spelling and grammar.


Pages: [1]