Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Freshview

Pages: [1]
What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: 18 weeks with a preventative cerclage
« on: February 15, 2018 at 10:26 PM »
How many weeks are you now? 20?

Hi, thanks for sharing your stories.
OBmom - I can so relate. I’m a registered midwife and laboured at 24 weeks (anatomy scan at 20 weeks shows 4cm cvx trans abdo) and was 70% effaced and 4cm dilated on admission with moderate ctxs. For 2 days I was looked after by my colleagues and consultants. I received excellent care, but it ended in the birth and death of my son - in my workplace amongst my colleagues. Needless to say I haven’t gone back to work.
We won’t know if it was cervical incompetence or labour for some other reason, but my MFM has said she’d do a cerclage next pregnancy, in large part to support my mental health. She hasn’t mentioned a pessary. Are both of you in the UK? I’m wondering if it’s just a European intervention. I’m in Canada.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you and a nice, long pregnancy. 
Thank you.

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: 18 weeks with a preventative cerclage
« on: February 12, 2018 at 07:33 PM »
Thinking of you and wishing you well. Fingers crossed for >3cm on your next scan

I’m in Canada. The MFM I spoke to never mentioned that. Her plan would be a cerclage at around 14-16 weeks. I don’t think I can do the pre pregnancy one because we are doing an embryo transfer. I guess it depends how big the hole is.
Thanks for the info.

Hi Natlg,

You wrote in an earlier post here that you had a pre-pregnancy cerclage.  I’ve never heard of that. How did you get pregnant if your cervix was stitched closed? I’m trying to make plans for a next pregnancy (PTL at 24 weeks in October) and want to know about all my options. Thanks very much.

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: Preterm birth and loss at 27+4
« on: January 20, 2018 at 09:24 AM »
Thank you. Your story and that if your aunt’s are very empowering and inspiring.
My partner is still leaning toward surrogacy, but says he’s not saying no to us trying again. Well, me. He’s already done his part. :)
All the best in your pregnancy.

What's Your Story? Tell us. / What to do next after 24 week loss
« on: January 18, 2018 at 02:15 PM »
Hi everyone, I’m hoping to gain some confidence or at least opinions from others to help the decision on where to go from here.
On October 25th at 23+5 I started having what I thought was a UTI. Backache and waves of urinary urgency. I’d been having pain in the left side of my rib cage for a couple of weeks so I saw an osteopath earlier that day. After that appt I found I had more lower back pain than normal.  Anyway, this “pee pressure” sensation started feeling crampy and despite pushing fluids and having a bath they were every 3-4 minutes for 35-45 seconds. Still thinking it was a UTI we went to triage. My urine and blood work were normal but the cramps were ramping up very quickly in intensity. A speculum exam showed bulging membranes and a digital exam showed I was 3-4cm and 70% effaced. I lost my mind at this news. This was pregnancy number 5 for my partner and I. After 2 early miscarriages, surgery on a septum, and 20 week induction to end a pregnancy with a baby boy with a genetic condition, an IVF cycle and a failed embryo transfer with our only healthy embryo, a 14 weeks D&E for another genetically affected baby boy (accidental pregnancy)... we had two more IVF cycles and 3 healthy embryos total from those 2 cycles. We transferred one and it worked!! So, when I was told I was in labour with that “miracle” I just couldn’t believe it. Anyway.... they threw all the medications at me - morphine, indomethasine, steroids for baby, an epidural, magnesium sulphate... labour stopped and I was about 5-7cm (by ultrasound, they didn’t want to do further ultrasounds). So for 24 more hours things were quiet. I got my second dose of steroids. Then my water broke. I spiked a high fever and went into crazy labour. Jonas was born 2 hours later. He was 1lb 12oz at 24+0 weeks. My placenta was retained and after 3 hours in the OR they finally gave me a general and did a manual removal. After I woke up my partner was by my bedside to tell me Jonas had suffered a severe bleed in his brain and wasn’t going to be ok. 8 hours after his birth we took him off life support. He died within an hour.
Now we’re faced with what to do next. The MFM has a hunch it was cervical incompetence because of watery vaginal discharge I’d been having that week, but has no way of knowing for sure. My 20week trans abdominal ultrasound showed a 4cm cervix. So could be IC that led to uterine infection and labour, something related to my septum/surgery, labour for unknown reason... nobody knows. Which means this could all happen again if we try again. We have 2 embryos waiting for us. I just don’t know if we should try with me or with a surrogate.
Sorry this is so long. It’s a long story.
Any and all opinions are welcome (unless they are about my pregnancy terminations. Please keep those to yourself. Hardest decisions of my life).

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: Preterm birth and loss at 27+4
« on: January 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM »
I think you’re both incredibly brave. Thank you for sharing your stories. Not having answers is the most frustrating and paralyzingly thing.
I lost my son at 24+0 in October. He was our first successful IVF pregnancy. We have no real answers either. I had a small septum reduced in 2015. That was my only real risk factor.
Can I ask you both, what was it that made you able to suppress your fear and try again knowing it could all happen the same way. Wren, your description of taking Oskar off life support after his brain bleed mirrors my experience with Jonas exactly. He was 8 hours old. I also don’t know if I’d survive that again.

Pages: [1]