Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - GeekWife

Pages: [1]
Hi Britta!
I just want to say that while I don't have any advice for you, I totally know how you're feeling. I'm on my second week of bed rest myself due to preterm labor and irritable uterus. I'm also on a 2x a day Terb pill after three shots of the stuff on three separate visits and the stuff makes me really shaky. I still have 8 weeks left (six to make it to the 38 weeks my doc wants), and until next Monday whether or not I'll be on BR for the rest of my pregnancy. My husband set up a twin bed in our living room for me, which puts me in front of the HDTV and the video games, so that at least gives me something to do with my day, as well as my trusty laptop :)

I also know what you mean by the pressure down low... geezey pete! My little guy is breech and loves to stick his head out far up under my "girls", and I would swear sometimes a foot is just going to pop out! It's really uncomfortable to sit up or walk.

Anyway, great to meet you! We can support each other :)


I'm doing mine in our master bedroom at home, second floor. We have a bathroom in the room, and my hubby hooked me up with a cooler full of drinks and snacks so I don't have to go downstairs as often (I'm allowed to go down for meals as long as I'm sitting when I get there). Lucky for me I have a laptop with wireless internet, and a TV with a shared DVR to keep me occupied, although at some points in the day I get bored with those things too. I feel like I have the most "options" when laying in bed... I can sit up for a while when my back gets stiff, and I can easily stretch out without moving around too much. Some crochet projects are sure in the works for me though!


Hi! I'm not that far behind you (31 weeks tomorrow) and just had a bout of preterm labor this weekend that was severe enough to land me on bedrest for the next two weeks. The big thing that made me call was the amount of ctx I was having in a short period of time. Some weren't that strong, some were really painful. And NOTHING I did made them go away. I tried all the "tricks" you hear about.... lay on left side, drink water, eat something with carbs, walk around... a hot shower quieted them down long enough that I could go to church (it was Easter and I'm stubborn lol), but they came back. However, I have learned that it's okay to call and demand that someone see you or go to L&D if you feel something isn't right. That's what nurses' lines and L&D are there for, and you and/or your insurance are paying for it, so might as well use it! It's always better in our case to be safe versus sorry. Plus, for as early as ladies like us are, any signs of preterm labor, even the minor ones, are enough cause for concern. They want to keep those babies in there until their lungs are mature enough, and you and I both still have a few weeks each on that front.

I also know exactly how you feel with the pressure and the not being able to breathe. I would swear this kid is up in my lungs half the time! With the ctx I had, he did drop down, so now there's more pressure and less not being able to breathe, and I know it's really uncomfortable. We don't have that much longer to go though is the way I'm looking at it.

If nothing else, I hope you feel better soon and get some answers out of your stubborn doc! Good luck!


Hi Erica! I'm Tori and I'm on a pretty similar path as you, just a couple weeks behind ya! This is only my first (a boy too!), so I am very thankful that I don't have other kids to worry about while I'm on my bed rest. Good to meet you and can't wait to get to know you! I will add you to my prayers :)

What's Your Story? Tell us. / 30.5 weeks with preterm labor
« on: April 13, 2009 at 01:05 PM »
Found this site through a Twitter follow and am super excited to talk to other ladies going through the same thing. First, a quick intro: My name is Tori. I'm 25 and expecting my first, a little boy named Zach, on June 18th... the day after my third wedding anniversary. :)

The first time I felt "real" (as in non-BH) contractions was at 24 weeks. Was sent to L&D then and found out that they were being caused by kidney stones. Once the stone was passed, the ctx stopped on the spot. I thought I was in the clear.

Flash forward to Easter morning, yesterday. I woke up at about 5 with sharp pains. They were familiar. They were pretty consistent. Hubby woke up an hour later and convinced me to start timing them. Sure enough, 6-7 minutes apart and lasting about 1 min 40 sec each. I'm really stubborn so I tried everything in every book to get them to calm down. A hot shower did help and made me at least functional. We went to church (I really didn't want to miss Easter service) and while there, the contractions came back. We got home and called the doctor, who informed me that I should have really gone in earlier.

We got to the hospital and I was hooked up to the monitors, and had a cervical check and fFN test. There was no change in the cervix, so they decided not to send the fFN test to the lab (which I plan on asking about later today at my follow up appointment, because that darn swab hurt so I want something out of it!). My contractions were almost textbook patterns. They gave me a Terb shot after a few hours of monitoring to calm the ctx and sent me home.

My mom was sweet and brought over some Easter ham and other treats. We were starving by this point, especially after having missed two other family events full of food. After eating, I started having contractions again, only this time they were way more sharp. I figured it had something to do with the fact I just ate a ton of food after not having eaten all day... indigestion or gas, something like that. After a couple trips to the restroom, the contractions were getting worse and closer together again. I tried to lay down to sleep and ended up running for the bathroom to throw up. My husband called the doctor who told us to go immediately back to L&D.

This time I ended up with an IV, another Terb shot, and some anti-nausea medication. My ctx stopped again and I was sent home with instructions to stay on bedrest for the rest of the day until my follow-up doctor appointment in the afternoon (which I already had scheduled anyways).

After reading a whole bunch of the links on this site, it's a wonder I didn't do something sooner. I have that "constantly hard tummy" issue, but always chalked it up to Braxton Hicks, since it was just a little uncomfortable and not painful. Now I'm wondering if I don't have an Irritable Uterus or something like that, since I have pretty much every single one of the descriptions of symptoms. Even after having slept most of the night (a couple contractions woke me up, but weren't bad enough to keep me that way) I'm still in a little pain today, especially in my back, and a bit crampy. I am curious what I will learn at my doctor appointment today. We shall see!


Pages: [1]