Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - andi-pants

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: Monday Roll Call for July 8
« on: July 08, 2013 at 05:12 PM »
Glad to see that everyone is doing well! :)

I am 33 weeks and 1 day pregnant now :D. I'm allowed up for an hour or so every day now, which is nice. I have another appointment next week and I will probably get more "up" time then, and when I hit 36 weeks I'm free! :D Only 3 more weeks to go, my baby boy and I have got this in the bag! :D

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: What did you do today?
« on: July 07, 2013 at 07:19 PM »
Ahh, we just moved down the shore in April but we used to live in Bedford, just off of Rocky Lake Drive (the road in between the Petro-Can and the Shopper's, across from the Super Store). I go for my appointments at a smaller hospital, really hoping everything stays stable. The IWK is wonderful but it is 3 hours from home! I am kind of disappointed that we had to move though, the IWK staff has been wonderful every time I've had to go there. My daughter has a problem with her immune system so we have spent many weeks with her on the children's side and everyone over there is fabulous as well :), it was no different when I was admitted onto the maternity ward. Wonderful people up there, they took great care of my LO and I while we were there.

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: What did you do today?
« on: July 05, 2013 at 06:02 PM »
@KristaL I'm a Nova Scotian too! I'm about 3 hours outside of Halifax on the Eastern shore! :D

When I went into preterm labor at 29 weeks I had a fun (sarcasm fully intended) ambulance ride up to the IWK :), on the plus side they have the best hospital food I've ever had up there :D

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: Monday Roll Call for July 1
« on: July 01, 2013 at 06:09 PM »
I'm 32+1 now and still pregnant! 3 weeks of bed rest down, 3 weeks, 6 days left :D

I'm back from the hospital now, they managed to get my labor stopped again. I have an appointment tomorrow so they will repeat the fFN then to see what is up with that.

Also, to all my fellow Canadians: Happy Canada day :D

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: Monday Roll Cal for June 24
« on: June 26, 2013 at 06:53 AM »
Thanks Natalie :)

My little guy is breech so if the labor progressed despite the drugs I would need a c-section to get him out safely. Thankfully everything has settled down and they are FINALLY feeding me! I'm still in hospital but I'm back down to adalat every 4 hours and I should get to go home tomorrow morning :D. My mom is also bringing my daughter to visit me this afternoon so I'm really excited about that!

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: Monday Roll Cal for June 24
« on: June 24, 2013 at 04:29 PM »
I'm still pregnant (31 weeks now) and still on bed rest, but in hospital now. I started contracting early this morning along with some spotting and back pain. When I got to the hospital I was contracting every 4 minutes, but no change in my cervix (still 1-2cm dilated and soft). So, I'm on adalat every 2 hours, so far my contractions have slowed to every 8 minutes. I had the fFN, it was positive (again). I'm not allowed to eat until they have slowed to no more than 4-5/hour (I'm STARVING but I guess I can't eat in case I need a c-section). I've avoided the mag. sulfate so far (thankfully) and as long as the increased adalat keeps my contractions under control I can stay off of the mag. I'm on IV fluids and antibiotics but hopefully I can get the IV out tomorrow, and hopefully the adalat can go back down to every 4 hours tomorrow.

I'll be in hospital until tomorrow at the very earliest, but I've been told to expect to get discharged on Wednesday or Thursday. It sucks leaving my daughter again :( I wish she could stay in the hospital with me, these hospital stays and have been the longest I've ever been away from her and it is really starting to wear me down :(

My doctor hasn't said anything about it but I've only been on bed rest since 29 weeks and I can get off of bed rest when I hit 36 weeks (5 more weeks!!! :D but who's counting? haha); maybe it is recommended for ladies who have a really long period of bed rest ahead of them?

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: New to this forum!
« on: June 21, 2013 at 04:18 PM »
I'm new to bed rest, and this forum, so I don't have a lot of advice. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for all of your losses, it must be really tough to have to go through all that and now be dealing with preterm labor again. I hope that you can keep your baby cooking until full term. Sending positive thoughts to you and your baby :).

Making the Best of Bed Rest / Re: Monday Roll Call for June 17
« on: June 17, 2013 at 09:32 AM »
Hello, I'm Andi and I'm new here. I posted what brought me here in the "share your story" section so I won't bore you with the nitty gritty here. Long story short I went into premature labor last Saturday, ended up staying in hospital on Adalat, IV fluids and antibiotics for 4 days before being released on bed rest, I have good cervical length at 2.7cm (my OB said that is great considering the contractions I was having) and I am 1cm dilated but holding steady so far.

I'm 30 weeks pregnant now, due August 25th with a boy, this is the beginning of week two of bed rest for me. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday, and I am looking forward to my 4 year old daughter coming home from a week long trip to Ontario on Tuesday (I was supposed to go too but Harrison had other plans, haha).

What's Your Story? Tell us. / Re: new here
« on: June 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM »
Thanks! It was such a relief when the contractions stopped.

And my daughter is fairly independent but used to being outside and very active (we don't have TV or satellite/cable or anything, just see it as a needless expense). We live on the waterfront so I'm not comfortable allowing my daughter to play outside unsupervised just yet (she knows to not mess with the water, but knowing it and actually staying away are two different things). So, I think I will accept my mom's offer to come and stay for a while. Unfortunately that means bringing my great aunt to stay too (I know it isn't her fault but it is very stressful living with someone who is very capable physically  but isn't there mentally), so hopefully it will work out ok.

I also spent 4 days in hospital (Saturday-Tuesday), so this is day 7 on bed rest for me. I had some bleeding yesterday (brown spotting) so I had to go in for monitoring for a couple of hours. All looks good, a few contractions showed up on the monitor but nothing regular. fFN test is still positive but there was no change in my cervix so I was allowed to come back home. Since then though I am scared to get up for anything. I made my husband bring a plastic chair inside for me so I can sit while I'm in the shower (yes, I feel REALLY stupid doing it). So now I'm hungry, out of instant food and bread for sandwiches, but too scared to cook anything. So (I am also out of milk, can't go grocery shopping and DH's only day off this week is tomorrow) I'm laying on my couch eating dry all-bran cereal.

Moral of the story: Bed rest sucks :(

I feel awful having this pity party. I am so beyond thankful that Harrison is still cooking, but I'm just having an off-day I guess. I miss my daughter, I'm sad I had to miss this vacation (it was a mother-daughter trip, so my mom, my grandmother, myself and my daughter were all supposed to go; we have had this trip planned for over a year and I was very much looking forward to it), I'm lonely because I haven't seen anyone all week, my butt hurts, and I am just so sick of not knowing what is going to happen. I think that is the worst part, this not knowing what to prepare for. If I knew 100% that I will have Harrison prematurely I could prepare and I feel like, while it wouldn't be easy, I could deal with it. This not knowing just sucks, because I am hopeful that I can carry him full term, but at the same time I don't want to get my hopes up, and at the same time as all that I am terrified at every tightening, every twinge, every little thing that could possibly signal that something isn't right.

Tomorrow will be better, but today I guess I just needed to have a little melt-down. Sorry for the rant.

What's Your Story? Tell us. / new here
« on: June 14, 2013 at 09:18 AM »
Hello everyone :),

I'm new here, this is day 6 of bed rest for me.

Everything started on Saturday June 8th. I was 28+6 (29 weeks on the Sunday) and had woken up with menstrual type cramping that morning. I didn't really think too much of it. My husband and I had planned a family day-trip with our 4 year old and I didn't want to stay home because our daughter was very much looking forward to the trip.

We went to a science center for kids, which involved a lot of walking. Shortly after lunch time I started feeling contractions. At this point I was getting a little worried, so my husband and I decided to cut the day short and head home (about 3 hours away from the science center). Upon getting home my I started timing the contractions and realized that they were coming every 8-9 minutes. At this point my husband and I were getting very worried so we took our daughter to her grandparent's place and headed in to the hospital.

When we got to the hospital they gave me a shot to stop the contractions and admitted me for the night. Over night I had really no contractions to speak of and was feeling pretty good. On Sunday morning I woke up with painful contractions and immediately hit the call button for the nurse. They put me on the monitor and could see that I was having contractions every 7-8 minutes. At this point they paged my doctor to come in early. When my doctor got there she did a fFN test, we would later find out that the results were positive, and checked my cervix which was thinned out as compared with Saturday night but still tightly closed. So the my doctor gave me another med (a suppository) to try to stop the contractions and gave me the first steroid shot for our LO's lungs. They also started an IV for fluids and antibiotics. I stayed on the monitor but the contractions didn't slow or stop at all, so at this point my doctor decided that I needed a transfer to the IWK (a bigger hospital with a NICU, about 3 hours away from my home town, ironically in the same city as the science center we visited the day before). So it took another hour or two to get the ambulance situated; they were originally going to take me via helicopter but I got bumped because they needed to transport a higher priority patient who was having a heart attack (or so I was told). At this point my contractions were hurting a lot and I was having contractions every 4 minutes and they were lasting about a minute.

On the way to the IWK, about half way through the trip, we had to stop at another hospital because my contractions were getting worse and the paramedics wanted to have me checked to ensure that Harrison (our LO) wasn't trying to come out any time soon. When they checked me at that hospital I was dilated a finger tip and had thinned out some more. The doctor there felt like we could definitely make it the hour and 20 minutes or so to the IWK so off we went (this time lights and sirens).

When we got to the IWK I was still contracting every 4 minutes. They gave me some more antibiotics and fluids in my IV and started me on Adalat (Procardia in the US) to try to halt the contractions. At this point it is 8 or 9pm on the Sunday. I continued contracting and around midnight they checked me again and I was a little over 1 cm dilated. At this point they did an ultrasound to see what position our LO was in, he was breech. So they started talking about a c-section and they had the NICU team come to talk to us about what would happen with our little boy if he were born now and what we could expect and everything. It was honestly the most terrifying moment up to that point. Up until then I felt like the whole thing was just a dream, or like bad luck or something. That there was no way our baby boy would come out yet. Up until that point I was 100% confident that they would stop the labor, I wasn't even sure I WAS in real labor up until then, I just kind of thought it was much ado about nothing. So at this point my husband and I are getting very scared. They continued to monitor my contractions and dilation and I received some pain medication. Thankfully I did not dilate any more throughout the rest of the night and around 4 or 5 Monday morning the contractions just stopped, all at once. I had been contracting every 4 minutes and then they just left, as quickly as they had started.

So they kept me on the Adalat and let us get some sleep (it had been a very long day/night before). On Monday afternoon I had the second steroid shot and an ultrasound which showed that Harrison was 3lbs6ozs (estimated), was no longer breech (at least not when they did his scan, haha), and that our cervical length was "good". It wasn't optimal for this stage in the pregnancy but it wasn't horribly thin either at 2.7cm. I was still about 1cm dilated, but neither my cervical length or my dilation had changed since around midnight on Sunday (or early Monday morning?).

Fast forward to today and I'm home on bed rest and off of the Adalat. So far so good, the contractions are staying away for now. I still have the menstrual type cramping and the occasional "real" contraction but nothing regular or consistent. I am allowed up to use the bathroom and to shower (no more than 30 minutes) but other than that I'm stuck laying down or sitting in a recliner with my feet up. I have to stay on bed rest until I am 36 weeks (I will be 30 weeks this Sunday).

I was supposed to go to Ontario to visit family with my mother and my 4 year old this week, but obviously I didn't get to go on the trip. So my daughter is away this week, but she will be home on Tuesday of next week.

Do any of you moms have other children? If so, how do you cope with looking after them while on bed rest? My mother has been more than helpful and has offered to stay and help me as long as I need, but I feel terrible because she is also the full time caregiver to my great aunt (who has dementia, so it isn't an easy job to look after her) so she is spread thin as it is. Do you ladies think it is possible for me to manage on my own, or would you recommend letting my mom stay to help? My DH works 10 hour days, 5 days/week, 6 days every other week, so it is really just me and my 4 year old 90% of the time.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, my last pregnancy was perfect so this is all new to me. Any suggestions on things I can do to keep myself and my daughter busy would be greatly appreciated!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]