Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - sarahker

Pages: [1]
Making the Best of Bed Rest / New Arrivals - twin boys 7/14/2011
« on: July 16, 2011 at 09:20 AM »
Just wanted to provide a quick update  - Our boys arrived around 9:30 on Thursday morning at 33+6, after my water broke unexpectedly.  Kellan James and William Archer arrived via c-section (little Will was transverse), weighing in at 4lbs5oz and 3lbs9oz respectively.  They both recieved 9 out of 9 Apgars, and were screamers at birth.  I was able to hold them briefly before they were wisked off to the NICU.  Kellan required a nasal canula for the first night, but has been breathing completely on his own since then.  Little Will required a little help and was on the vent the first night, CPAP the second night, and this morning had graduated to a canula.  They aren't nippling/sucking so well at this point, but we are working on it, and I'm trying to get the hang of this whole pumping thing.  The boys are absolutely adorable, and I can't wait until I can bring them home. 

I just wanted to thank everyone in this online community - when was admitted to the hospital almost 10 weeks ago with preterm labor, I was frightened and discouraged, and everyone here was so supportive and helpful during a bleak time.  This site has provided such a wonderful forum for me to vent my frustrations and questions and concerns, as well as learn from and gain encouragement from other's success stories.  I hope to post pictures of my little darlings soon.  They are so worth the 5 weeks of hospital, then 4+ weeks of home bed rest.   

Best wishes to all the other bed resting mommas out there! 

Preterm Labor: Anything and Everything / Repeat Steroid Dose?
« on: June 04, 2011 at 10:24 AM »
Hi Ladies,
Just as a little background, I'm 28w1d with twin boys, currently on hospital bedrest for preterm labor and short cervix (2cm w/out pressure, 1.6 with).  My doctors have discussed sending me home after 29 weeks (Yay!) if things remain stable, and my cervix remains steady at more than 1cm.  One of the physicians mentioned that before they send me home, they would give me a repeat dose of corticosteroids (I had one round when I was admitted to the hospital at 24w3d).  I have been doing some research, and it seems that the ACOG and others don't recommend giving repeat rounds of steriods unless it apppears that birth will occur within the next 7 days due to risks to the baby. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, or provide some guidance?  It just seems odd to me - if they are comfortable enough to discharge me, I would assume that they are confident that I will NOT give birth that week, so not sure what the point of the repeat steroid dose is. 

Please let me know your thoughts, or if you can recommend any sites that have additional information on this topic.  I would prefer to not recieve the steroids if clinical data/medical research does not support it. 


What's Your Story? Tell us. / 25w3d w/Twins, Hospital Bedrest
« on: May 15, 2011 at 08:52 PM »
Hello everyone - I'm new to this forum and just wanted to share my story to see if anyone else out there had a similar experience - I'm especially eager to hear success stories.  I'm 25 weeks preganant with twin boys and have spent about a week on hospital bedrest due to shortened cervix and contractions. 

On Monday during my routine CL exam (transvag ultrasound) my physician noticed that my cervix had shortened significantly from my last check up 2 weeks prior - from 2.7cm to 2.3.  She immediately sent me to L&D at the hospital for further evaluation, where they found that I was also having contractions, which were about 3-5 minutes apart, but not painful.  After a shot of terbutaline the contractions subsided quickly, and I was put on nifediprene.  I was kept in the hospital for observation, with the expectation that I would be released to home bedrest within a few days, but a subsequent examinaton found that my cervix had shortened even further to 1.7/1.4 with pressure, and continue to have intermittent contractions, so the doctor prescribed hospital bedrest, likely until I deliver.  I'm not dilated, and membranes seem to be intact, so we at least have that in our favor, but so much else seems to be going wrong. 

I'm absolutely terrified about the prognosis, and have been trying to be brave throughout this process.  I'm hoping I can keep these little guys cooking AT LEAST until 28 weeks, hopefully much longer.  It's so hard to be positive when there's so much uncertainty, and I'm so afraid.  I have a follow up CL exam tomorrow, and hoping that I still have some cervix left.

I would love to hear other's stories and advice on how to get through this. 

Pages: [1]