Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Signs of Pre-term labor? Not feeling well.  (Read 6404 times)

BoyDueJune7th

• View Profile
Signs of Pre-term labor? Not feeling well.
« on: April 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM »
I'll be 33 weeks on Sunday.  Baby measures slightly bigger, 60th percentile, and according to charts I've seen online, he could be
2 weeks ahead.   

I've been having contractions for 2 months now.  They always started at 5pm, so I would drink water and rest.  No big deal.
Now, they are stronger and happen all day.  Today, I feel a *tremendous* amount of pressure when I stand.  I am also tired
and nauseated.  Baby feels huge.  I feel every tiny movement.  Last night, I had 4 strong contractions in one hour, but they
were irregularly timed.  They lasted a minute each.  I also feel like I have asthma or that baby is sitting on my lungs. It's
hard to breathe out and makes me cough.  No discharge.  No signs of losing plug or water, although I do leak urine quite a bit and pee every 10 mins or so.

I go in for my appointment on Friday, but I do not like my doctors.  They get me in and out as fast as possible and don't measure me or check my cervix.  The doctor simply says "drink water" every time I tell her about the contractions.  The visit wtih the doc is probably
less than 2 mins. (The nurses take my vitals and listen to the baby's heartbeat before that).

Right now, I feel the pressure while sitting.  I've been so uncomfortable I can hardly stand it.   I feel car sick.

Sorry for whining, but I just want some opinions.  I will definitely try to tell my doc on Friday.

This is my 2nd child.  First child was born at 37 weeks.  I didn't go into labor, but I was leaking fluid so they had to induce me.
I had a c-section because I wouldn't dialate.

firedancertat

• View Profile
Re: Signs of Pre-term labor? Not feeling well.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009 at 04:59 PM »
Have you asked your doctor to examine you?  some doctors do not like to examine because it can sometimes cause contractions, but they could definitely get a cervical length for your own piece of mind.  Express your concerns to your doctor. He is there to treat you.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009 at 05:10 PM »
I'm sorry you feel like your doctors aren't taking you seriously. That's SO frustrating. Here's some info I put together to help women be the best possible advocates for themselves and their babies when they are describing their symptoms:
http://www.keepemcookin.com/talk.aspx
 The page is called, "How to talk to Your Doctor and Be Heard."
With the amount of pressure you're feeling, you may even want to go to L&D before your appointment on Friday if you think you're having ANY contractions. There were several times when I thought my contrax had stopped and went to L&D "just in case" and when they hooked me up to the monitor I was STILL having contrax 3 to 5 minutes apart!

Feel free to ask me or the other ladies here anything, and vent whenever you need to. We're here for you!

GeekWife

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009 at 05:35 PM »
Hi! I'm not that far behind you (31 weeks tomorrow) and just had a bout of preterm labor this weekend that was severe enough to land me on bedrest for the next two weeks. The big thing that made me call was the amount of ctx I was having in a short period of time. Some weren't that strong, some were really painful. And NOTHING I did made them go away. I tried all the "tricks" you hear about.... lay on left side, drink water, eat something with carbs, walk around... a hot shower quieted them down long enough that I could go to church (it was Easter and I'm stubborn lol), but they came back. However, I have learned that it's okay to call and demand that someone see you or go to L&D if you feel something isn't right. That's what nurses' lines and L&D are there for, and you and/or your insurance are paying for it, so might as well use it! It's always better in our case to be safe versus sorry. Plus, for as early as ladies like us are, any signs of preterm labor, even the minor ones, are enough cause for concern. They want to keep those babies in there until their lungs are mature enough, and you and I both still have a few weeks each on that front.

I also know exactly how you feel with the pressure and the not being able to breathe. I would swear this kid is up in my lungs half the time! With the ctx I had, he did drop down, so now there's more pressure and less not being able to breathe, and I know it's really uncomfortable. We don't have that much longer to go though is the way I'm looking at it.

If nothing else, I hope you feel better soon and get some answers out of your stubborn doc! Good luck!

Tori

BoyDueJune7th

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009 at 07:40 AM »
The doctor's office never lets me speak to a nurse. They say I have to leave a message and it takes up to 48 hours for a response.

Anyway, I go in today and I am going to be a little mad and demanding today.   My contractions have stopped, but I still have lots of pressure and cannot stay on my feet very long without pain.

We'll see what happens.  Thanks for the support.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009 at 08:37 AM »
One thing that I found to be helpful was to write out a list of everything I wanted to discuss. My doc got used to seeing a list in my hand, and then she'd sit down rather than stand.
I'd write down all my questions, plus follow-up questions. Sometimes docs seem so quick to answer that we then even dismiss ourselves. Glad to hear you plan to be persistent!

Are you going to have the doc do a cervix check to see if you are dilating? Or an ultrasound to check the length of the cervix? ALSO, they can do a "fetal fibronectin" test, which can tell with 99% accuracy if you will deliver in the next 2 weeks...

Let us know how it goes!!!

P.S. That is crazy that they are taking so long to get back to you!

plmommy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009 at 01:15 PM »
I would go straight to labor and delivery and just see whatever on call doctor they have there. They'll take you a lot more seriously if you are in the hospital. Sorry you aren't getting much support - I would also INSIST on a TVU check of your cervix.