Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New to bedrest...eeep!  (Read 5812 times)

Yvonne

• View Profile
New to bedrest...eeep!
« on: January 11, 2011 at 07:17 PM »
Hi All!

I'm so happy to have found this forum!  Here's my story!

I am a very proud mommy of 2 little girls, age 3 & 6 and we are expecting identical twin boys - 40 due date is April 3rd, 2011:). We found out we had 2 buns in the oven when we were 19 weeks pregnant- it was a HUGE shocker!  At our 24 week appointment the boys looks strong, and so did my cervix...alas...we had our 28 week appointment yesterday.  Our boys are amazing, strong and active...my cervix on the other hand has shortened and the opening is shaped like a "y"(is that the same as funneling?) So here I am, at 28 weeks on full bedrest.  I've been told, I am only to rise from 90% to 100% horizontal for bathroom breaks, to get a drink for myself or to get myself something to eat.  This is a very challenging concept to me...but honestly, anything for these boys  :)

I do have a few questions I must admit...for instance - my doctor said no sex - does that mean no orgasms?  Or just no penetration/ semen?i like to ask frank and honest questions so i hope that's ok with all you mommies sharing this situation with me.

I am looking forward to hearing your stories, advice and tips for maintaining sanity .

My mantra is gravity is the enemy - I have assumed the anti-gravity position.

Way to go all you champion mommies!  Every one of you amaze me :)

• View Profile
Re: New to bedrest...eeep!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011 at 02:08 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

I"m a bedrest grad, started at 26 weeks (my story also on this board)
my doctor specified that no sex meant absolutely no orgasms for me of any other kind of stimulation as this could cause my uterus to contract (I was also on procardia to decrease risk of contractions as my cervix funneled to 0.1 cm) 

good luck,
take care,
helen.

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011 at 02:20 PM »
Thanks Helen,

My doctor was not so specific, so I appreciate you sharing your experiences.  Thanks a lot for the well wishes and take care.

Yvonne :)

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011 at 03:28 PM »
Hi Yvonne,

You should really ask your doctor as it probably depends on your specific situation. I just had a short cervix with funneling ( no incompetence, no irritibility and no cerclage) and while the doctors said no intercourse orgasms were ok, which in my case was a good cause I get them in my sleep. But you don't want to be aggravating anything if your doc is worried about contractions just to be safe so don't be afraid to ask. Actually i think it's a bit demeaning to women overall when doctors can't seperate between intercourse and orgasms in the first place but that's another issue!!

Good luck and whatever your doctor there shouldn't be any restrictions on intimacy and massage which I'd never say no to!

Christine

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011 at 03:46 PM »
Thanks, Christine.

Our situations sound similar.  I'm thinking I will obstain until my next appointment then get more specific with my doctor.  I also agree that there is a real problem with health care professionals who do not differentiate between intercourse and orgasms...that may be worth addressing should it come up...I'm glad to know we share similar thoughts on that.

Your support and kind words of support are so very appreciated.

Yvonne :)

twins2beintx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM »
Hey, Yvonne.  Same situation as you.  Bed rest for me, however, started at 25 weeks with preterm labor (shortened and dilated cervix with contractions).  Anyway...no intercourse, no stimulation to include orgasms as this can start contractions as I was told.  Hope you get some clarification.  Good luck with the bed rest and hang in there!!