Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Roll Call for Monday January 17th  (Read 6850 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Roll Call for Monday January 17th
« on: January 17, 2011 at 09:59 AM »
How are you, my dears? I'm thinking we should be getting some updates today on some full-term newborns! And how is everyone else doing? If you need to vent, then vent. And if you've found something to help you through the hard work of bedrest (a mantra, a movie, a new routine) please share that too!

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!
Angela

Follow Keep 'Em Cookin' on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KeepEmCookin
Check out the Idea of the Day each weekday here: http://www.keepemcookin.com/bedrest.aspx

JacErnst

• View Profile
Re: Roll Call for Monday January 17th
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM »
I'm still here cooking away.

We spent last week in the hospital praying that Gray would wait a bit longer. Now we're back at home on strict bedrest - bathroom breaks only. I have a feeling that by the end of the week we'll be moving in with my parents so my dad can take care of me. He's home most of the time - and my mom only works 2 minutes away.

I'm not enjoying this new regime. plus i have to deal with a work situation - my boss told the whole staff we were in the ICU before we had told our siblings yet - total breach of privacy - so off to HR I go to put it on the record.

oh well - time to get out of the dumps and let the sunshine in. Goodness..

hugs ladies - praying as always. !
jac
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
Jac - wow what a week and half that you've had. I was a bit concerned cause I hadn't seen you post anything in a while and normally you're online more often though I am very glad to hear things are going better for you and that you are keeping Gray cooking. I know from experience how hard it is when you you have to go on 'stricter' bedrest than before. I ended up staying at my mom's during my bedrest and although it feels like you've taken a step back it really does ease the pressure off of you since you don't have to worry about running a household and therefore keeps your stress down (something that I really thinks helps with the PTL).

As for me I'm still cooking. 39 weeks and 6 days - tomorrow's my EDD. I went to the midwife today and she checked me and I am at least 2 cm dialated, 100% effaced and baby is nice and low ( I think in the states you call it zero station if my OB/GYN knowledge from the baby story is anything to go by LOL :) ) so hopefully it should be any day now especially since she said it is very uncommon for a first time mom to be where I am at right now. It would be nice to have the baby tomorrow only because it is grandma's birthday and i think it would be a nice present but one thing i know for sure is that this baby is coming only when IT'S ready and not a moment sooner.

I had my shower on Saturday and it was really nice. It looks like a baby store exploded in my house! I think all of my friends breathed a sigh of relief that I didn't go into labour as we were really pushing it with dates but between bedrest and the holidays having it any earlier wasn't very feasible.

I hope the rest of you ladies have had another good week cooking away. I think the nice thing is that for any of you further north (and maybe even south given the crazy weather everyone's having lately) is that it's a nice time of year to be stuck inside cause who would want to go out anyway. I no longer have to be on bedrest anymore but I have to confess there are some days where all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket and with a book or a movie.

All the best until next week!! Keep em cooking ladies!!!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011 at 04:36 PM »
Pillowqueen: You got me! Really thought we'd be getting a birth announcement from you today. I am SO glad you got to enjoy your shower. For a lot of bedrest moms it often doesn't work out to have one. Yay!

Jac: So relieved to hear you are still cookin'. These last couple weeks have been tough. I know it'll be stressful to adjust again when you get to your parents' place, but really let them handle things. Just do what you can to really let go, accept this temporary situation, and find the bliss wherever you can. It can take effort, but you CAN do it. March 1st. March 1st. March 1st...

ML2011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011 at 04:40 PM »
Hi Ladies - I am new here and this is my first role call!  I posted my story last week.

I was 25 weeks yesterday and have been on HBR since 23 weeks.  I will most likely stay on HBR until delivery.  They have found the right combination/dosage to calm my contractions.  I had an u/s today and received good news that my cervix still looks good :)  They are monitoring my cervix often because it is a dynamic cervix.  The fact that I am now on 3 meds to control contractions, have a dynamic cervix, and a previous preterm birth make me a HBR candidate. 

I have been passing the time reading LOTS of books - my husband surprised me last week and bought me a kindle!  He brought in lots of pictures and photo frames and other goodies to make my room more homey.  OT was in today and taught me some arm exercises with a band.  Looking foward to getting a chance to stretch a little.   

Taking it day by day.  Miss my 2 yr old like crazy!!  She was sick this weekend, so I haven't seen her for a couple days :( 

Best wishes to all you ladies - you are doing a great job- keep em cooking!!! 

BedrestPractitioner

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011 at 05:39 PM »
Mommies,

As you keep cookin, I have a suggestion that may add a little sunshine to your days! Some of you may be familiar with Aromatherapy (essential oils)...well, the oils are extracted from plant parts and help us feel better on all levels, physically, emotionally and so on.  Just inhaling the aroma helps to adjust moods.  I recommend that you keep certain essential oils with you on the bed or side of bed; for example, Sweet Orange essential oil helps to promote a cheery mood and ease nausea, Lavender helps to relax your nerves.  Inhale the aroma as often as desired. Start with those two and tell me how they help you.

Wishing you empowerment, clarity, and improved health while on bedrest, and in general,

Nicole

lynsrich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011 at 07:15 PM »
Happy Roll Call Ladies!

We made it to 36 weeks yesterday! Phew, what a relief!  My baby is already between 6 & 7 lbs. I think bedrest helped pack on those baby pounds quicker than if I were able to be active- and normally I would have been.  I think I have hit that burst of energy right before you go into labor (as I am told) because I really want to get up and do laundry and cook, etc. even though I can't.  I don't know, maybe I am just raring to get back to normal activity.  Either way it is refreshing in a way.  I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  With this website, twitter and facebook keeping me busy the time really flew by and I hope it is the same for all of you as well.  I take things day by day and don't let myself get overwhelmed with how long I have been on bedrest or how long I have to go.  I have my bad days of course but I like to chalk that up to hormones!  We are all keeping our babies safe and healthy, what more can a (soon to be) mommy ask for!

ML2011- Welcome! I hope you end up getting to go home after all.  Keep up the great attitude!
Pillowqueen- Wow! Amazing job! I pray your delivery will be safe and easy!  Good luck!
JacErnst-I'm glad Gray has changed his mind and is still cookin'.  I was worried when I didn't see you on here or see tweets for a few days, I'm glad you are safe at home. I understand your HR dilemma, they and the short term disability company were a nightmare for me too.  I hope tomorrow starts a new great day for you.  You are doing a great job!

Hugs and best wishes to everyone!
Lyns

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM »
I'm still cooking - 32 weeks & 5 days. 
54th day of HBR for me.  Time seems like its going SO slowly lately.
Getting my weekly 17p shot tomorrow - after tomorrow only 3 shots to go! 
I have an ultrasound on Monday afternoon - can't wait for that.
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM »
Hey all!

I have officially survived my 1st week on bed rest and as of today we 3 on home bed rest ( me +2 boys) are 29w+3days pregnant.

The start to week 2 has been an emotional one.  I broke down in a full on tears, boogers and drool meltdown during a conversation with my 6yo's teacher this morning.  VERY embarrassing, and it made her so uncomfortable... She's clearly not too comfy with pregnancy hormones.  If she'd stop trying to force my kid into a (figurative) box, then she'd be free and clear from my meltdowns...just saying...

Here's hoping for a tear free, positive minded rest of week two!

Upwards and onwards to our first keep 'em cookin goal and next growth and cervix length follow up appointment @ wk 30!

Have a great week ladies!

Yvonne

elypineda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011 at 07:58 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm 28 wks 3 days today and am happy to have reached my first goal!  I'm feeling  emotionally better after receiving the news of not going home for bedrest - I have to say, the news hit me hard, but feel better now.  My husband has been taking me out to the bay every other day, and I think it's really helping.  The weather is absolutely beautiful!  It's amazing how my eye sight felt relieved when I went out for the first time after 1 month - I guess from being in the hospital room, watching tv, on computer, my eyes were confined, and the first day I looked out to the bay, I felt such a sense of relief in my eyesight.  Really glad I could go out for 30 minutes everyday.     
I'm really glad to hear everyones doing well!!
As always, praying for lots of strenth and patience to all the mommies!!
Elizabeth (elypineda)

pixie

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011 at 08:16 PM »
Congrats on another week, mamas!

@lynsrich, it's so fun to have another one so close to me in dates.

I'm 36 weeks today! (Wednesday.)
My regular monday check with my OBGYN was good on baby front. He was estimated to 2.5 kg. (5 lbs 8.5 oz)! And my OBGYN called him perfect and vital. He really is. :D
Everything is good inside. Pee was clear (well, traces of protein, but that's ok), BP a tad more than we like (139/93), but ok for now with no other symptoms.
The big, huge goal is just one week away, I can't believe it's just one more week until I'm 37 weeks and have a fullborn baby! It actually is in sight now.
My OBGYN was gonna have the whole next week off (she has to have some time off, or she works too many hours), but she decided to come in on monday JUST for me. Yeah, I was so touched by that. So that I won't have to see anyone else this close to birth, and we have to talk about when and how etc. re. possible induction/birth and stuff like that. Anyway, she is just so amazing!
But that means that she won't be there between my appointments with her on monday 24th and monday 31st. So the next goal, after 37 weeks, is that he has to stay in until the 31st. I keep telling him that.
He'll be a better size by then too, maybe 6.5-7 lbs, and closer to 38 weeks. That would be awesome!

JacErnst

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011 at 06:24 PM »
Thanks Ladies!

Congrats on making it another week - we have a few milestones here - 39 weeks, 36 weeks, 32! We're doing great.

Thanks for the kind words - I'm getting more used to being in bed more. I can still do some of my work from bed - just takes me a bit longer and i end up writing it and scanning it rather than typing.

We're doing great girls - lets keep it positive.

hugs! and prayers as always!
Jac
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

pillowqueen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011 at 10:59 AM »
Hi Ladies, looks like everyone seems to be having a pretty good week. Elizabeth I am sorry that you can't go home but it's good that your husband has been able to help you change your scene - I can read in your post and your words how good it has been for you to get the views and the sunshine.

I'm still cooking away at 40 weeks and 2 days! Good grief! Every night I keep thinking (or hoping) that this is gonna be the night but every morning I wake up no contractions. At least I can prove to some of you ladies with a very short cervix that you can go full term and beyond!

In the meantime I found this article which I hope will cheer you up. Hope it helps. I sure you all could add to this list though i partocularly like number 15. Happy cooking.

BED REST'S SILVER LINING:
15 BENEFITS OF TAKING PREGNANCY LYING DOWN

By Laurie Krauth

How often do the one in five pregnant women assigned to bed rest get to brag about the experience? Yet here we lie, accumulating perks unknown to our mobile counterparts. So here's a reminder to horizontal pregnant women, and a lesson to our vertical sisters, about just 15 of the benefits I've accrued in taking pregnancy lying down.

1. My husband has learned to cook. And not just in the microwave.

2. He can run the house. (He no longer puts the first load of wash in the machine and leaves it to mold. He regularly fills--and empties--the dishwasher, notices when we're out of milk, creates a shopping list, hits more than one store to get the goods, buys in bulk and looks out for sales.)

3. I am amassing a quantity of sleep-time that I won't see again until my baby is 2.

4. I am tearing through novels, mastering (in theory) the football hold for breastfeeding and gossiping with friends with a laziness that my baby won't permit again until preschool.

5. I'm losing my type A-ness. Is it possible? Before this bed rest thing, I couldn't talk on the phone or have a friend over without also cooking or filing papers.

6. My old definition of a top-flight evening--one spent eviscerating eight items on my to-do list has been replaced by one spent watching two videos with my husband.

7. I can stare aimlessly into space (without mentally adding tasks to said to-do list).

8. My athletic virtuosity no longer depends upon at least one sweaty set of tennis, three jogs and a night of swing dancing a week. Tackling the stairs now makes me proud..

9. Lying on the couch in the living room (aka Bed Rest Central), I savor sightings of cardinals and chubby snowflakes. Gone is the muttering about barren, skinny trees and steel gray sky. This is a cornucopia of earthly delights compared with the medical building that stared back at me from the hospital bed I occupied the other week (and could occupy again any time).

10. I relish my baby's increasingly zealous kick-boxing because I know he's well and happy, and that matters more than anything.

11. Forget any worries that my new husband loves me conditionally for the sex, or how I take care of business around the house, for my fanatical energy, or for my lithe body. These are a distant memory and still he treats me like his bride.

12. No doubts left about how he'll handle Real Life with me. As our honeymoon giddiness has been replaced by his holding me from 3 to 5 a.m. while I await crisis-level bleeding, as well as preparing my meals and cleaning up after me, we've cruised seamlessly through a decade's worth of marital developmental stages in less than a year.

13. Improbably, he still makes me feel like a honeymooner, despite my girth, exhaustion and periodic fear. Curling up together on Bed Rest Central beats a night at a Parisian café with a new lover. I feel this exquisite bittersweet appreciation of each moment we spend together that's intensified by the knowledge that a hospital bed may beckon at any moment.

14. I am finally ready to have my baby. All this lying around finally put a stop to my obsessive worries about handling the transition to motherhood, leaving in its wake the searing desire to get on with toughening up my nipples and changing diapers for the kick-boxer I'm carrying.

15. I'm actually looking forward to being liberated by childbirth. While my fellow expectant mothers anticipate losing mobility and independence, I can't wait to be off bed rest and carry my baby and his hundreds of accoutrements through the house and out into the world. I'll be free!

Laurie Krauth is a psychotherapist and writer in Ann Arbor, Michigan, whose complete placenta previa required that the last month of pregnancy be spent at Bed Rest Central. She has a healthy, delicious seven-month-old boy.

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM »
Wow!  That was great!  # 15 is awesome!  I also am a resident of bed rest central :)

Yvonne

tntmom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011 at 09:10 PM »
We've been having some computer problems this past week and I somehow lost my recent post.  :(

Anyhow. Had an eventful week. Had my 17P injection, glucose test, and FFN test on Wednesday. Awesome news: FFN test came back negative. So I feel a little bit more relaxed regarding that. Not so good news: I failed both the one hour and three hour glucose tests. So starting next week I have to start going to the diabetic clinic weekly along with taking my blood sugars, etc. I admittedly don't know much of what I'm going to have to do until I meet with them next week Thursday (the soonest the could get me in). I'm going to try to restrict sweets in general, which is soooo hard as I LOVE chocolate! But it has to be done. I'm also trying to drink some extra water, on top of the 60+ ounces I was already drinking.

I'm just sad that I have to deal with this on top of everything else. Just another thing to worry about.

pillowqueen: Thank you for sharing that article!

Hope to check in again next week to see everyone doing well!