Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Question about Cervical Length  (Read 12825 times)

arenee22

• View Profile
Question about Cervical Length
« on: January 28, 2011 at 09:02 AM »
Hello,

I am new to the board. I was having cramps and contractions at 26 weeks. I went to L&D and they said my cervix was closed and I was not dilated and the ffn was negative. At my follow up with my ob the next day they mesaured my cerv length and it was 22mm and she said that they want it no less than 25mm. So I was put on bedrest. I had my cervix remeasured yesterday and it measured 39mm. It was a different tech and I remember that the baby's head was down the first time so I was wondering if that could make a difference.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? My dr is still keeping me on bedrest and I go back on tuesday for another check.

JacErnst

• View Profile
Re: Question about Cervical Length
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011 at 11:53 AM »
Arenee,

I was put on bedrest initially for a short cervix. Mine was 21mm at 21 weeks.

Your cervix can change for the better - mine has gotten back up to 3.1 at one time while on bedrest. It just means that you're doing a great job on bedrest. Mine changes every apt. it's never the same.

you still have lots of cervix left  - so don't fret.
Praying for you and your little one!
Jac
www.babEblessings.com
proud momma to Grayson born Jan 30 2011 at 32+3
babE2 due April 16, 2013
Proud NICU survivor

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011 at 02:24 PM »
Thanks for replying. So since it can go up and down, will I probably still stay on bedrest. I know you probably can't answer that for me, but I was just wondering if you come off of bed rest after being put on it for cervix issues. Guess it depends on how it looks next week.

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011 at 06:07 PM »
It can get shorter AND longer?  Very interesting....
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011 at 08:52 AM »
Interesting indeed:). So far mine just seems to be disappearing...hmmmm....I'm feeling a google search spree coming on,  :D

elypineda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011 at 01:46 PM »
If you have a dynamic cervix, your best bet is probably to stay in bedrest.  If your cervix becomes non-measurable and open, it will not lengthen - that's my case, and have been in hosp. for 6 weeks 2 days now.  Take care of that cervix!  :)
Elizabeth

ML2011

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011 at 03:33 PM »
I have a dynamic cervix.  Yep, it can shorten and lengthen.   Fortunatley, my cervix length went back up a couple weeks ago and has actually stablized for now (it even went up by .1 @ today's u/s!)   My doctors believe me being on BR is taking the pressure off my cervix. However, I have a history of PTL and am contracting, so that contributes to the decison to keep me on HBR.

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011 at 03:37 PM »
ahh interesting I didnt know that. Well I guess we will see what happens tomorrow.

ML2011

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011 at 03:40 PM »
arenee -  I think I saw in another post that you are just over 27 weeks?  Me too..  27 wks and 1 day :)   You'll have to let us know what your doctor tells you tomorrow.  good luck!

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011 at 06:35 PM »
ML-yes I am 27weeks and 3 days

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011 at 10:32 PM »
I was put on bedrest last week b/c my cervix was only measuring 1.6 cm.  I went back today for a follow up and it remained unchanged, no worse, no better.  I am 26 weeks today and will be on bedrest until I deliver my baby.  It's only been a week and it's been extremely difficult.  I was hoping my cervix was longer today, but it wasn't :(.  I am also starting weekly progesterone shots next week so hopefully that will help.

At 41 years old and being my first pregnancy, I am petrified and hope to keep her cookin' as long as my body lets me!

Lori
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011 at 06:26 AM »
Good Luck Lanespoli.  Bed rest and 17p shots have helped me make it to 34 weeks!  Stay positive.  Bed rest is hard, but its worth it in the end.  This forum is a big support system.  We'll help you get through it. 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011 at 12:52 PM »
Hi ladies

Well my dr visit was good. My cervix stil measured at 22mm. I am still on modified bedrest. The dr was happy that it was stable.

Thanks for the support

elypineda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011 at 12:08 PM »
arenee22 - glad to here your cervix is unchanged.  Continue with your bedrest. 

lanespoli - My docs. are strong believers of the progestrone shots.  I started with the shots when i was 20 wks pregnant.  I haven't had a cervix and have been open since I was 22 wks, and with the combination of hospital bedrest and progestrone shots, I've held on to 30wks 4 days. Keep those legs up at all times!  I know how difficult bedrest is - you feel like it's never-ending, but time passes faster than you could imagine, and once that baby is out, it'll be a blurr in your mind.  I was on home bedrest with my 19 month old daughter for 3 month and have been on hospital bedrest for 46 days and it's probably been the most difficult thing i've done in my life.  But the fact that I've made it without a cervix, open, for soooo long is amazing to me and am grateful. 

Lots of strength and patience.
Elizabeth   

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011 at 07:58 AM »
Thank you Elizabeth, it's just the stories like yours that gives me the strength to get through each day!

Arenee - I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!