Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Monday Roll Call for February 7  (Read 27902 times)

Reaganh3

• View Profile
Re: Monday Roll Call for February 7
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011 at 10:48 AM »
Oh Lanespoli,  I'm so sorry that you are all alone and frustrated and not getting paid either.   
I wish I could think of some encouraging words for you.  I hope venting on the board will help you get through the next 6 weeks.  I have been getting the 17p injections - yesterday was the last one - I truly believe they work (at least they have in my case). 
Good luck. 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Aylw88

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011 at 10:51 AM »
I'm so sorry Lanespoli :( I can't begin to imagine how difficult this has been for you. Stay strong & hold on, you're truly doing your absolute best for you & lil Gia (((hugs)))

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2011 at 04:46 PM »
Thank you girls.... the one positive thing out of all this will hopefully be that labor and delivery will be a welcomed breeze compared to 3 months on bedrest.
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2011 at 04:49 PM »
I'm so sorry for all you're going through right now. I don't know what I would do without my support system. Thank goodness for your aunt. I understand about the junk food and takeout...I've gained 10 lbs in the last 2.5 weeks! All I can say is keep your eyes on the prize and thank God everyday for your little miracle. How lucky that you were able to conceive despite what the doctors told you! What a special thing. Focus on that and the excitement of meeting your little girl for the first time.
As far as income goes, have you thought about applying for short term disability? Surely there must be something you can do. Are you close with your parents? Maybe your mom could come and stay with you for a while. I wish there was more I could suggest.
I was miserable at my job so I'm super happy to not be there anymore. I was so unhappy that I started taking zoloft again. I had stopped taking all medications before I became pregnant and did pretty well for about 6 months. But then 4 months or so into the pregnancy, things at my job had me miserable.  I was crying everyday and wanted so badly to quit. And the pregnancy hormones turned me into a monster! My husband was very supportive, but he reached a point where he couldn't take it anymore either! The only thing keeping me there was my medical insurance. I talked to my doctor about it and she said it was safe for me to take zoloft at this stage in the pregnancy. I was also having sleep problems and she prescribed me ambien. I don't even take the ambien every night. I've taken it maybe 4 times total. And I noticed a difference in my mood almost immediately with the zoloft. Maybe it would help you too. Think about it and mention it to your doctor at your next appointment. Sometimes we just can't do it alone, ya know? Hope some of this helps. Good luck and we're all here for you!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011 at 04:50 PM by LoransMommy »
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2011 at 07:30 PM »
Thank you Loran....unfortunately, I live in Florida and my family are all up in Connecticut.  They all work so it is hard for them to leave work to come down.  I am currently trying for short term and numerous state programs so hopefully one of them will come through.  The problem with the short term is it would be considered a pre-existing condition.  Furthermore, my employer will only hold my job for 90 days (darn corporate world) and I won't even have her by then so I am PRAYING that I'll even be able to return to work after I do have her.  I'm just more frustrated than depressed or anything else and because she truly is my little miracle I am petrified to take any over the counter or prescription drugs, except my 17p shot.  I even stopped the procardia (with my doctors permission) b/c of some things I read on the internet.  I used to take Ambien prior to be being pregnant b/c I could never wind down (strong type A personality) and I stopped taking it the moment I found out I was pregnant.  I'm too scared to take it now b/c I know I would end up taking it every nite.

I know this will all seem like a horrible dream come May, it's just finding that ounce of strength everyday to get me to that magical month..:).
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).

keewee0630

• View Profile
    • our pregnancy blog
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2011 at 08:16 PM »
In regards to the Ambien, If you need to take it I'm pretty sure it safe while pregnant.  With my last pregnancy I was on HBR and the nurses were actually giving it to me every night to make sure that I was resting.  I would still ask your doctor of course, but I'm hoping that if they were giving it to me in the hospital that it was safe for both me and the baby. 

I'm really sorry that things are so tough.  Good luck and just so that you know, I'll be here hopefully until the end of May (due date June 4th) So I'll be here for a while along with some of these other wonderful ladies to keep you company and listen when you need an ear to listen to.

Kiah
Aniya Mckenzie - due June 4, bed rest since 14wks (12/7/10), due to IC: cerclage

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2011 at 08:32 PM »
I understand about not wanting to take any meds! I know I need it though, and my doctor has said that ambien and zoloft are both safe to take, so I take them.
I am also due in May, so I will be around!
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2011 at 08:53 PM »
@Lanespoli,
I cannot imagine what I would do without my support system. Comparatively speaking, I would much rather go through HBR for 4+months (as I am now) WITH my support system, then go through 6 weeks alone. So I totally sympathize with you.
Through my company I pay for short & long term disability insurance, one of those freaky things you never think you're going to use. I just filed for it today because I have 6 weeks sick time and that's it. You may want to see if you have something like that through work.
Another thing... my employer told me after the 90days or 12 weeks FMLA, I could reapply for an additional 12weeks FMLA and have my physician fill out the paperwork so you may want to look into that.
As many patients as I see that don't work and have babies on welfare, there's GOT to be a government program out there that can assist you financially. Also, if you get "let go" at work for this,would you qualify for unemployment?
As far as the junk food goes... I understand. I've eaten more takeout lately when I'm home alone then I'd care to mention. My husband travels a lot, so I'm home quite a bit by myself (with my five- year old), so junk food is simply going to have to stay on the menu. My doctor on Monday commented about how next visit if everything is still stable, he will have to have a "chat" with me about my weight (I've gained 25lbs at 19weeks). I almost hit him. WHO CARES?!?!?! If my babies are staying healthy inside, WHO GIVES A FLIP about my weight?! I'll worry about that after they're born healthy! I'd recommend you do the same!
You made an awesome statement when you said God Himself has made your dream come true and allowed you to conceive. That means He'll get you through it as well. Don't doubt Him now! What you do now, staying strong and adhering to the bedrest, you're doing for little Gia. And let me tell you, coming from someone who has a little girl. I cannot tell you the joy she will bring you. My daughter is the light of my life. I still cry when I look at her sometimes. I had MULTIPLE miscarriages so she was a little miracle. I can see God all over her.
As far as the ambien goes.... it won't hurt you or her. I am a labor & delivery nurse and we give it all the time. And we don't give medicines that will hurt the babies. A lot of what you read online isn't necessarily founded. The only articles I would put ANY stock in are "evidenced based practice" articles published by medical journals.
Procardia and brethine are two drugs which haven't been approved by the FDA for preterm labor, but they still help a lot with the "background" contractions and braxton hicks contractions which may/may not be part of why your cervix is thinning. That's why they are so commonly used in preterm labor. I'm in a similar situation with mine. At 18weeks with twins I started having mild contractions, just tightening, really. I went on a Monday and my cervix was 3.68cm, on that following Friday it was 2.7cm. I was admitted, started on injections of brethine, then sent home on brethine. Procardia would have been the best medicine to put me on, but I have a heart condition and really low blood pressure and it is contraindicated in those conditions.
 Not telling you what to do, and by all means, read online, especially medical journals. But the last thing your doctor wants to do is hurt you or your baby. I hate to say this as well, but the last thing they want to have is a lawsuit. They won't prescribe anything that would hurt you or the baby. Always ask them too exactly what effects the medicine has, and what are the side effects and adverse reactions, and how common are they.
Keep on praying and hang in there. Know God is in control, and nothing you do can change that. Think of what a miracle story you have to tell! You're 41 and pregnant. If she was born now, she'd live. Little Gia needs more time, and no matter what the cost to you, it's worth it. Something I've learned since I had my daughter is NOTHING is about ME anymore! Part of motherhood 101. You learn it pretty quick after they're born. Unfortunately, you're having to learn this a little earlier.
 This is my second week of bedrest, and I've already have 3 emotional breakdowns (all in one weekend). I've heard they get better, and about one a week is actually therapeutic.  ;) You're grieving many things right now, one being the beautiful, stress-free pregnancy some mothers get to have. I understand that and I grieve with you for you and for myself. It'll get better. It will. I'm already finding strength in encouraging other mothers on this forum.
Please forgive my ramblings.... my heart goes out to you.
Melody
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

tntmom

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2011 at 09:49 PM »
It's been busy in here this week. Welcome to the new members - it sucks to be in our situation but hopefully you will gain a lot of support through this board. It's one of the few places I've found where other people really get what it's like to be on bed rest. It's not a vacation by any means and it is sooo hard physically and mentally that I don't think unless you've lived it you could possibly understand it.

I had an appt today. 31+4 weeks today. Will officially have made it two more weeks than I did with my son as of tomorrow! Had my last FFN test and it came back negative. Since I also have gestational diabetes I will start to have NST twice weekly in a couple of weeks...however, my blood glucose levels have been within normal limits since I started testing so my OB isn't horribly concerned about that. My OB has changed her mind a bit about allowing me off of bed rest before baby is born so I'm going to be applying for short term disability tomorrow and praying that it goes through otherwise I'm not sure what's going to happen.

Someone had mentioned having meltdowns. I totally can relate. In fact I have at least one meltdown a week if not more depending on what has happened. Then I have days like today where I'm pretty content....I'm excited that my appt went well and I'm so relieved to have made it this far.

To all of our new members: Keep your eye on the prize. You can do this.....we all can! In the next few months we will be able to hold our babes and realize that every moment was well worth it! 

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2011 at 06:38 AM »
Thank you all for all your support, I really appreciate it.  And thank you too Melody, feel free to ramble anytime, I enjoyed reading everything you and everyone else had to say, it's nice to hear everyone's stories.  I really thought I had cleared all the big hurdles once I made it past the 12 weeks, then after the CVS test, then the spina bifida etc..etc....  I never saw this obstacle coming that's for sure.  I guess it's a good lesson and a reality check in becoming a mother now - that there will ALWAYS be unexpected hurdles and obstacles and all you can do is say your prayers and hope for the best.  I hope for a long and healthy life for my little Gia, and for myself so I can enjoy our time on this earth together.  I hope the same for all of you as well......

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2011 at 06:56 AM »
Thats a good way to look at bed rest - its preparing us for motherhood with this extra-long exercise in patience.  :)

My bed rest is almost over now ladies.  I am 36 weeks today.  No more 17p injections - my baby girl is more than welcome to make her appearance any time now.  If I can do it, you can do it too.  Finding this board made my 11 week bed rest sentence easier.  Its nice to be able to vent after those meltdowns to people who completely understand the rollercoaster of emotions.  The women on this board have been very gracious and kind, and no one has ever written one bad word or any negative comment in response to one of my posts - I've never found another place online like that!!!!
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011 at 09:01 AM »
@Reagan - How exciting! So happy for you.  :D You have definitely come a long way. We tell patients every day they keep the premature baby inside is 5-7 days less they'll have to be in a NICU. Think of how much time you've bought her with your bedrest! You'll probably leave the hospital with her within 2 days of having her! That's something every mother on here yearns for! Congratulations!
Keep us posted of when you have her and how much she weighs, etc.
Melody
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2011 at 01:14 PM »
Wow, congrats Reagan!  I totally envy you right now and I can't wait for the day that I am writing your exact same post!  Congratulations!!

keewee0630

• View Profile
    • our pregnancy blog
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011 at 01:18 PM »
What a great achievement Reagan.  Can't wait to make it there...so happy for you!
Aniya Mckenzie - due June 4, bed rest since 14wks (12/7/10), due to IC: cerclage

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011 at 01:26 PM »
I was on bed rest a full month before I found this website.  If only I had found it sooner....it has really kept me sane.