Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed rest from 22 weeks for uncommon condition  (Read 2233 times)

Lupita.0709

• View Profile
Bed rest from 22 weeks for uncommon condition
« on: April 17, 2009 at 01:13 PM »
Hello everyone my name is Lupita.  I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have been on bed rest since 22 weeks.  This is the first addition for DH and I.  Our little star Alyssa Kayleen is due July 29th. 
I have been diagnoised with Inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST).  IST is an uncommon type of cardiac arryhthmia.  The heart rhythm in IST appears to arise from within the sinus node, the cardiac structure that generates the normal heart rhythm.  Nobody knows what causes it since it's only been a recognized syndrome for the last 10 years.  And since it is a new diagnosis it's treatment options are not proven to be successful.  That being said, risking taking a drug medication for this is not recommended by doctors since it will also affect the baby's heartrate rhythm and blood pressure.  Due to this condition my heart-rate is constantly at 170-180 bpm when doing something as simple as taking a shower.  Though the doctors have noted that Alyssa Kayleen is growing properly they are still concerned about her health.  So I will have to keep my heart rate below 120, which is difficult for me since my resting is around 110-115, and bed rest is the only solution the doctors hope will help. 
I have been to many different doctors (primary care, cardiology and severl midwifes and OB doctors) and am fianlly set up to see a perinatologist in two weeks.  I am happy to have come across this site (thanks to twitter) and look forward to all the support and help.