Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: High blood pressure postpartum  (Read 12071 times)

pixie

High blood pressure postpartum
« on: February 13, 2011 at 09:17 AM »
Anyone experience this?
When did it go down? Did you have to use meds?

My little boy is 11 days old, and my BP has just not gone down yet. It was high the last week before he was born.
When he was 7 days old, my OB convinced me to start a small dose of Trandate (labetalol), because my diastolic was 115 that morning. It had been between 102 and 110 since the day after he was born. We had made an agreement that if it stayed below 110 I could avoid meds. (I didn't want to take anything while nursing, even though it's safe for the baby, if I could avoid it, I think that's best.)
I trust my OB though, she's excellent, so when she said she really wanted me to try a small dose, I agreed in the end.
I couldn't leave the hospital either before we got it lower, and on the meds, my diastolic went below 100 at least. Between 91 and 98.
I'm going to the hospital to check it every other day, particularly if I have symptoms. I've had dizzy spells and headaches, so it'll be interesting to see what it is tomorrow. 

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: High blood pressure postpartum
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011 at 09:48 PM »
Hi, Pixie. How did your check up at the hospital go today?

It sounds like you have an excellent doctor who is helping you take the right precautions. The risk of preeclampsia remains 6 weeks after delivery, so based on your high blood pressure and your symptoms (headaches and dizzy spells), the medication is a good idea to help keep you safe.

I had symptoms of preeclampsia prior to delivery, but once I delivered was when I went downhill fast. My BP was in the same range you mention, I had the same symptoms you describe, and within days I was in kidney failure and at a high risk for stroke. Be sure to mention to your OB any bleeding gums, new sudden swelling, nausea, a foul/ammonia-like taste in your mouth, continued headaches, seeing spots or other visual disturbances, or a pain under your right rib that may come and go. Like you, I had to get my BP in a safe range to get out of the hospital, and then keep it lowered in order not to get sent back. I was on medication until my 6-week "traditional" follow-up with my OB. One more thing, ask them to check you for hyperactive reflexes, which is another sign of preeclampsia.

Keep me posted, okay?
Angela

madfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011 at 10:44 PM »
Yes, I was re-admitted to the hospital when my baby was 3 days old because my bp wouldn't go down. It's very dangerous -- no joke. I was put on nifedical , which is deemed safe for breastfeeding, and it got my bp under control. Is there a reason you're resisting meds? You can really do a lot of damage to your body with high blood pressure. Congratulations on yr babe and I'm sorry you have to deal with this stinky sitch! I know how stressful it can be!

pixie

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011 at 02:45 PM »
@Angela, diastolic was 95 yesterday, I was kinda hoping it would've gone down by now. No such luck.
Not that that is very high, but I think it's too high for being on meds. So my OB is keeping me on meds.
And btw, do you have any litterature about the risk of pre-e for up to 6 weeks after birth? I said so to one of the MW's on my ward, and she said that wasn't right, she said it was just 3-4 days. But I believe you over her, it would just be cool to show her.
And yeah, I'm reporting everything to my OB. The headaches might just be too little sleep and food at times too. Hard to tell with a newborn in the house.

@madfoot, I am on meds now like I said, and I was resisting because I don't really want to take any while nursing (even though they are nursing-safe). But when my OB really wanted me to try, I did, I trust her.

Thank you guys, it sucks to deal with this now after everything went so well in the end this time.

madfoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011 at 02:53 PM »
Oh good grief! That's so frustrating (about the midwife not knowing about the possibility of post-childbirth pre-e).

Here is the FAQ from the Pre-Eclampsia society -- the whole site is great:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/health-information/faq#eleven

And -- ugh. Okay. I am going to give you a link to an article I wrote, but you have to keep in mind that I purposely used inflammatory language to scare people into paying attention to this story. Please do not get scared, your blood pressure is low enough now that you surely aren't in imminent danger, but it is *vital* that you keep an eye on this (I know you are!) and that you educate yourself and your health-care professionals on the risk:

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/110040/preeclampsia_after_delivery_it_can

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011 at 06:34 PM »
Madfoot: You directed pixie to the exact organization I was going to refer her to. They are a phenomenal group!

Pixie: Unfortunately I'm not surprised by the MW's comment.  >:( My OB's office staff seemed rather shocked when they learned of my pre-e postpartum. And honestly, the OBs didn't seem to be looking for it either. I called every day for four days after being discharged describing my worsening symptoms without them wanting to see me; and then at the point where I was having severe chest pain and a nose bleed my husband saying "Screw this. I'm taking you back to the hospital!"

Thank goodness you have a wonderful team on your side! PLEASE don't hesitate to ask your family and friends for help during this time where you need to be limiting your activity. Sleeping and eating are critical to you being able to provide your doc with accurate info about your condition. Be safe! (((big hugs)))

pixie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011 at 09:51 AM »
Thank you guys, excellent info!

On thursday, my diastolic was down to 86, so now I'm on only half the dose of meds. Yay! Going the right way.
I have a bad headache and I'm dizzy today, but I hardly got any sleep last night because my little guy had a rough night (first one, though), so that's probably why.
I hope it's lower on tuesday so I can drop the meds completely.

HeatherGayle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011 at 11:32 PM »
Oy! What a journey! I just wanted to mention that when I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension at 11weeks, they prescribed Labetalol to me as well. I felt WORSE with these meds. The headaches!! The dizziness!! The nausea!! The creepy crawly feelings!! The chest pains!! I could go own and own. Eventually, I was switched to Adalat XL 30mg 2x a day (a large dose, but my diastolic was at 115!) Even medicated, my levels are 130/85, but the side effects were much more liveable.

I don't know it's safety with breastfeeding, but I just thought I'd let you know. 8) here's to your bp going down and ditching the meds forevah!! Congrats on the baby!

kadiera

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM »
I hate labetalol - headaches, just generally feeling off - and I'm on the max dose of it right now, plus procardia, and supposed to be telling my docs if I feel "any symptoms" of pre-e....but the side effects of the meds have a huge overlap with pre-e. *sigh*

With my first child, we went for an emergency c-section when I developed HELLP syndrome - I went from nearly uncontrollable BP to Pre-e to HELLP in about 30 hours. That was on a Friday; I went home the next Thursday on 2 different meds (max dose of procardia plus something else, not labetalol). It took....at least 3 weeks for my pressures to come down enough for us to talk about decreasing meds, but once it started, it was quick - maybe only a week or two to get off all the meds I was on.