Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest Restrictions for IC  (Read 8131 times)

Amy

• View Profile
Bedrest Restrictions for IC
« on: July 20, 2011 at 05:10 PM »
Ok ladies, I am going nuts this week trying to figure out how to handle my job (high school science teacher) if I can't go back until after the baby is born.  I could be out the entire semester since I am not due until the end of October.

My question is for those that had a rescue (or later) cerclage placed due to IC.  When did your doctor start to relax on your bedrest restrictions?  Did anyone go back to work at some point prior to baby's arrival?

I would LOVE to be able to start the school year - but I will only be 29 weeks, so I am hoping for after labor day - I would be 32 weeks then.  Is this an unreasonable hope?  I plan on asking tons of questions at my multiple appointments this Friday.  I have to know something - one way or the other - so my school district can prepare.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM by Amy »
Amy

Preg. #1 - Ivy born @ 39 weeks w/ no complications (12/06)
Preg. #2 - Missed Miscarriage around 8 weeks (10/08)
Preg. #3 - Lincoln due 10/29/2011
Shortened cervix @ 19 + 3
Pelvic rest and restricted activity since 6/8
Cerclage placed @ 22+4
Bedrest since 6/29

bonilovely

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest Restrictions for IC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011 at 05:54 AM »
Good Morning,
I was on and off bed rest for two months because I begged to go back to work. I was 24 weeks at the time so I did bed rest for a week and my cervice went back til about 3cm. I didn't need the procedure done. They lifted all restrictions then once I started doing regular thing. 3weeks later I was back on bedrest they finally put me on bedrest for good at 30 weeks and they said let nature take its course

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011 at 10:48 PM »
Hi there, I have IC and had an emergency cerclage at 21 weeks.  I was on pretty strict bedrest till about 32 weeks and then was given a little more mobility to move around.  I am currently 37 weeks and have been off bedrest for about a week or so.  I really believe in bedrest.  It's the best thing you can do for your little one.  I truly believe I wouldn't have made it this far without bedrest.  I also have to add that at each of my 2 week appts-my cervix was "recovering" length each time so I didn't experience any setbacks.  I had it pretty good.  Hang in there-work will be there when you are ready.  :)
Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

Alicia

• View Profile
    • Baby and Toddler Food
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011 at 04:59 PM »
I've been off bedrest for 3 days! yah.
After 15 weeks in bed (22 weeks to 37 weeks).
I thought I would be off at 34 weeks, but the doctor said to keep doing it as it was working!
My cervix was 3.7cm at 18 weeks then 1.7cm at 21 weeks!
Stitch in at 15 weeks and the cervic opened to stitch for the rest of the pregnancy and had flatten as well.
I guess this was the basis of the decision to keep bed rest (as 34 weeks is still very early).

Last pregnancy was emergency stitch at 20 weeks (cervix 9mm) and bedrest is hospital for 8 weeks.
Then modified bed rest at home (rest when I could).
Waters broke at 34+5 weeks.

Before that waters broke at 20 weeks and he didn't live.

Which makes me throughly believe in bed rest.
This is your one and only chnace for garanutee your babies health.
If you go back to work and baby comes early, all efforts need to be made outside the womb, and you'll be off work anyway visiting bub in special care or intensive care nursery.
BUT every case is different. My cervix never got longer. Some do which gives you more confidence to cease bedrest.
I do know that cervix can get short as well, as fast as they get long.
Good luck. Dont mean to scare you, and I totally understand how much bedrest SUCKS!
But I would do anything in a heart beat to save the baby after seeing our first one stillborn.
Bed Rest number 2 under way!
Jet - Still bith at 20 weeks
Sakura - Emergency stitch at 20 weeks for 9mm cervix with bedrest till 34 weeks when she was born
'Cisco'-  Stitch at 15 weeks and bedrest at 21 weeks with 1.7cm cervix. Finger crossed!
http://babyandtoddlerfoods.blogspot.com