Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed Rest for Incompetent Cervix? Necessary or not?  (Read 8753 times)

wannabeamom

• View Profile
Bed Rest for Incompetent Cervix? Necessary or not?
« on: February 14, 2011 at 06:17 PM »
I posted another post in pregnancy complications. I am 18 weeks and supposed to have a cerclage this week. My cervix is at 2.3 cm and my doctor and nurse said I can go back to work without restrictions after the surgery. I was just laid off this week, so I have the capability of being in bed rest. My nurse said they don't normally order bed rest unless the cervix is dialated or funneled. I want to do what's best for the baby.

Have you been put on bed rest for an incompetent cervix? Was it strict bed rest or modified? what did your doctor say?

Thank you!

LoransMommy

• View Profile
Re: Bed Rest for Incompetent Cervix? Necessary or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011 at 06:33 PM »
I am on STRICT bed rest for incompetent cervix. I have remained at 2.6 since 25 weeks (will be 29 tomorrow). I couldn't do a cerclage because I was already in 2nd trimester when shortening was discovered. I know someone else who got a cerclage very early on (like around 14 wks or so) because she was having twins (she had them last week) and had already had a miscarriage once before. She was on house rest. She had to leave her job and stay home. She didn't have to lay down all day like most of us and could leave her house a little. But she did have to mostly rest. Towards the end though I think she stayed in bed.
From what I gather, if you get the cerclage, you may not have to do bed rest. If you can't get a cerclage (like me), the only option is bed rest. They will monitor your cervix and take it week to week I bet. If it gets worse, you may have to do bed rest. If not, then I'm sure the cerclage will be enough. But since you're not working, you might just try to take it easy since you can.
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

wannabeamom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011 at 06:41 PM »
Thank you LoransMommy!

Aylw88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM »
I am on complete bed rest due to an incompetent cervix but I am measuring much less than you. However at my 12 week scan I was 2.8cms & wasn't told to be on bed rest nor given any cerclage. I ended up at 1.1cms at my 20 wk scan! I would suggest modified bed rest since youre able to, just in case you shorten down like me. I wish I had been told much earlier, perhaps my cervix would've lengthened & I wouldn't be in my current situation :(

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM »
Also, keep in mind that as your baby gets bigger s/he will put more pressure on your cervix. It might get shorter or it might not. Luckily, the cerclage will keep it closed. Always talk to your doctor about any and all concerns, no matter how bad you feel asking - just ask. Every doctor is different and so is every pregnancy, so there's no telling what will happen in your personal situation.
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

kristinenicolle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011 at 01:20 AM »
i was diagnosed w IC after my losing my 2 previous pregnancies at 20 weeks (no cerclage). im 20 weeks now so im not that far ahead of you but i did have a cercalge on new years eve (around 13 weeks) when my doctor noticed i was already dilating my cervix had ripened.

anyways i was put on strict bed rest for 2 weeks after the procedure to heal up. after my post op appointment my doctor said im to be on modified bed rest. im not allowed up for more that 15 minutes at any given time and to just lay down and keep cookin. basically the only times i get up are to pee and make myself a snack if no one is around. i guess i could get up more often but id rather play it safe and rest as much as i can.

but i agree with the other ladies. each doctor is different as is each pregnancy. the nurse at the ob office actually had a cerclage done by the doctor i see (who she works for). she told me that shes seen people who didnt adhere to activity restrictions and did more than what their body could handle and while their cerclage didnt fail their membranes ruptured prematurely or they started funneling. im sure theres more to each story but it was enough to make me nervous and scare me into resting a lot more lol

good luck with your pregnancy! if you need anyone to talk to feel free me to message me!
Bed rest since 12/31/10 - cerclage placed (13 weeks)
2 angel babies: Baby Sean Anthony born on 05/25/09 (20 weeks) & Baby Nicholas James born on 05/16/10 (18 weeks)
Due on 7/3/11 to a baby girl: Madelyn Leann

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011 at 04:20 PM »
Wow, my cervix was measuring 2.2 and they didn't put me on bedrest.  When it went down to 1.6, that's when they made me go on strict bedrest.  I could only get up to pee, eat and shower.  No standing or sitting for more than 15 minutes at a time.  I went today, and my cervix is up to 2.6 which I am ELATED about!  They would like me to continue bedrest until 32 weeks, and if everything stays the way it is, they will release me from house arrest to at least be able to go out to eat dinner, yea!!
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!