Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bedrest due to contractions since 26 weeks  (Read 2919 times)

callen82

• View Profile
Bedrest due to contractions since 26 weeks
« on: February 24, 2011 at 04:33 PM »
Hey everyone!  I've been on hospital/strict/modified bed rest off and on since 26 weeks.  Finally made it to 34 weeks today!!!  I have had consistent contractions since 26 weeks.  Consistent meaning every 2-5 minutes...non-stop.  We tried Turb, we tried Procardia.  Fortunately, my cervix is closed up tighter than Ft. Knox, but the contractions can be very very painful at times and with the frequency, there is no way to tell if I am in active labor or not except for cervical checks.

During a 27 week ultrasound to check cervical length and amniotic fluid, we learned that our son has hydrocephalus.  So, we get to add that to the mix!  I was already high risk to begin with, as I had pre-term labor with my daughter back in '09.  I had gestational diabetes, oligohydramnios with an AFI of 3 (hospitalized for a week before we delivered via c-section), and she was breech.  This time around, I don't have gestational diabetes, but my fluids are being checked weekly, not to mention 2-3 times a week going in for cervical checks to try to keep me out of hospital bedrest. 

It is so hard to explain to everyone that bed rest is not a cake walk!  I have a two year old daughter who would climb back into my uterus if she could, and no one really denies her spending time with me.  So, during my bed rest, I end up with the dog laying across my tummy, with my daughter laying on top of the dog (Napping House, anyone?)   I also get guilt from my mom who watches my daughter during the day, but also takes care of my 88 year old grandmother.

Reaganh3

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest due to contractions since 26 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011 at 06:58 AM »
That's tough.  Hang in there.  At least you are at 34 weeks now, bed rest will be over soon.
I sent out an email every couple of days to my family & friends, the subject line was always "Day XX of Bed Rest", when it got past Day 60 people finally started to realize that it wasn't just a big happy pajama party!
Good Luck & remember to use this board to vent as much as possible - it will help keep you sane.
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Yvonne

• View Profile
Re: Bedrest due to contractions since 26 weeks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
The life of a Bed Rest Mom is no Cake walk, that is for certain!

You've made it to 34 weeks!  That is amazing!  I am 34 weeks too and have had an uber challenging week, so I can relate with your stress a bit even though my situation is different than yours.

Keep on cookin' that baby boy!  When he is born healthy strong and wonderful, you won't regret one second of the sacrifice you are making.

You ROCK!

Yvonne