Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Constant contractions with no cervix change  (Read 6561 times)

callen82

• View Profile
Constant contractions with no cervix change
« on: February 24, 2011 at 04:47 PM »
Ugh.  Went in again for a cervical check.  Still closed, still posterior.  Still contracting.  EVERY 2 MINUTES.  My husband finds this somewhat hysterical, I really don't see the humor, but then again, he's not the one wondering if every other contraction is the start of actual labor or not.  He's just along for the ride - and the occasional backrub.

I still don't understand how someone can contract for 8 freaking weeks and not have ANY cervical change.  Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to not be delivering prematurely, yet.  I want this little man to cook for as long as possible and put on as much weight because he'll be looking at brain surgery for a shunt shortly after delivery for hydrocephalus.  I am just exhausted.  I contract when laying down (which is most of the time, because of bed rest), I contract when I stand, I contract in a warm bathtub.  I try to tell people...imagine doing stomach crunches, holding them for a minute to a minute and a half.  Then doing it again 2 minutes later.  Every day.  For 8 weeks.  Now, imagine doing that with a two year old hanging on to you, asking you to play, read, lift her up onto the bed, etc.  It's enough to make anyone go insane. 

At least I've managed to stay out of the hospital for most of the month of Feb. I've been hospitalized 5 times since New Years, and my OB finally decided to start having me come in for cervical checks 3 times a week, plus a weekly ultrasound to check fluids and an NST.  My doctor visits are the highlight of my week and seem to be the only exciting status updates on Facebook.

Has anyone else had this frequent of contractions with no dilation?  I don't know if I can take this for another 5 weeks.  Right now we have a c-section scheduled for April 5 if I don't go into labor before then and attempt a VBAC.

mama6

• View Profile
Re: Constant contractions with no cervix change
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011 at 01:00 AM »
I had a nasty irritable uterus throughout my last 4 pregnancies, and yet I went full term (but with baby #2 I did spend 35 days in the hospital on mag sulfate to slow them down). I did ALOT of bedrest, and like you, still contracted nonstop. Now, with this baby (I am 14 weeks along), the doc has put me on Prometrium to keep my uterus quiet (just found out I have complete placenta previa). I am worried about being on drugs during pregnancy, but I am even more worried about not taking them and having contractions pushing on this placenta. There are meds you can take to calm down your uterus. I know how exhausting all those contractions can be! Hope you are doing alright.

Silvereyez

• View Profile
Re: Constant contractions with no cervix change
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011 at 08:55 PM »
If i'm not on bed rest i have them constantly and at 25 weeks my cervix is still very closed and very long at 4.9!  I'm also glad nothing is changing but an irritable uterus is just.. IRRITATING lol.  The contractions do get exhausting! I am sorry they dont get better with bed rest, thats the only relief I have!