Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Hi Ladies - New here- preterm labor  (Read 4672 times)

BWilson

• View Profile
Hi Ladies - New here- preterm labor
« on: February 24, 2011 at 06:40 PM »
Hi Ladies,
I cannot tell you how relieved I am to find this forum! I am looking forward to bonding with you as well as finding some women I can relate to!

Here is our story:

We were 20 weeks along when my husband and I went in for our 20 week ultrasound (really we just couldn’t wait to find out what we were having)! Well, we found out we were having a little girl but we found out a whole lot more than that. Within a ½ hour of my appt. I was across the street lying in a hospital bed. What a shocker!

I was having contractions and my cervix was shortening (at this point I was at 1.6cm). Up until this point we had a great pregnancy, basically we were none the wiser to our situation. So I stayed in the hospital on bed rest for 10 days. Within that period my cervix kept shortening, the shortest it got was .6cm. My husband and I were very scared. But we prayed about  it and felt the at that point the cerclage was our best option. So we went for it!  I stayed in the hospital and for about 4 days after the procedure to see how my body would adjust. At that point they sent me home.

I am so grateful that so far things are looking better. I am now home on strict bed rest (shower and bathroom only) but we have made it to 24 weeks! I have no idea what is to come, and I am sure there may be more challenges ahead but we are thankful to have made it this far.  There are good and bad days with this new adventure. Trying to find things to entertain yourself is interesting. (Thank goodness for TLC, Food Network and the Travel channel and books!) 

Thank you for letting me share my story, it feels wonderful to share our experience… and to see that I am not alone in this. Your stories are all so inspiring. 
Hugs,
BWilson

Reaganh3

• View Profile
Re: Hi Ladies - New here- preterm labor
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011 at 07:03 AM »
Welcome to the board.  Bed rest is tough - its nice to have a place like this to talk to other ladies who understand.  Having a place like this to write down what I'm feeling has helped me not take out my frustations and fears on people who are caring for me while I'm on bed rest.   I think you are very lucky that your health care providers checked your cervix during your 20 week ultrasound.  I wish that had happened during my last pregnancy. 
Congrats on making it to 24 weeks.  I'm having a little girl too!  :)
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Yvonne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011 at 08:43 AM »
Welcome!  ;D

You are rocking the Bed Rest thing for sure!  4 weeks into it, eh?  Great Job!  I've been resting for more than 6 weeks now and it has been challenging.  THere are good days and bad days  - it almost seems some days like the pregnancy hormones are 10fold because of the rest!

I love the food network too!  Do you have a favorite show?  Least favorite?  One of the chefs that you love or one that makes you nuts?

I hope today is a good day for both of us!

Take care,

Yvonne

BWilson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011 at 11:01 AM »
Hi Yvonee and Reagan,

Thank you for your thoughts and encouragement! It is so nice to meet similar ladies... We are all living such a day to day experience.

Yes Yvonne, the Food Network is awesome! I like a few shows, "The best thing I ate", Giada's cooking show, all the competition chef shows and occasionally even Paula Dean. The only show that bugs me a little is the Barfoot Contessa show. What about you? What shows do you like? Have you ever watched the show on HGTV called "House Hunters International". I really like that! You get to see all sorts of wonderful places from your couch. Hope today is a good one for you :).

Reagan, Yay for little girls!  Hope you are doing well this week. So nice to meet you both!

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011 at 11:24 AM »
Be sure to check out the Monday Roll Call posts - that is where a lot of the activity on the forum takes place.  Plus you can keep up with everyone's progress.

I'm scheduled to be induced on Friday (will make 39 weeks!), so I'll try to remember next Monday's Roll Call to tell everyone our happy ending - hopefully we have a healthy little girl.  :)
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

BWilson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011 at 01:01 PM »
Reagan,

Thanks for the update. I did see the roll call and checked in. I was a little tardy.

Aww, I do hope you check in next Mon. I would love to hear how everything goes. I will pray for a healthy baby girl and an easy delivery on Mom! :)

Take care,

kristinenicolle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011 at 11:11 PM »
Hi B!

welcome to the board! i have a similar story to you. im 22 weeks. had a cerclage placed a 13 weeks (incompetent cervix) and have been on bed rest since then. while this isnt the ideal situation in any pregnancy its nice to know that other people have been in the same situation and made it. i think its amazing when women have their stitch taken out and actually make it past their due date.

tv & netflix have become my best friend. i started watching every show on USA and most competition shows on the food network that i now want to become a pastry chef. lol. my all time fave show is chopped and im super excited for chopped all stars. im literally geeking out over it lol

anyways take care, God bless & keep cookin! We can do this!
Bed rest since 12/31/10 - cerclage placed (13 weeks)
2 angel babies: Baby Sean Anthony born on 05/25/09 (20 weeks) & Baby Nicholas James born on 05/16/10 (18 weeks)
Due on 7/3/11 to a baby girl: Madelyn Leann

BWilson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011 at 04:44 PM »
Hi Kristine,

Thanks for saying hi! Wow, we do have similar situations. I think you are amazing, bed rest since 13 weeks! If you don't mind me asking are you on complete bedrest (bathroom and shower only) or moderate bed rest? I am assuming complete but wasn't sure. I know, I would love to be one of those women that have to be induced after having a cerclage removed.  This whole situation is such a daily experience. I am just praying to make it to 35 weeks. This is my first baby, is this your first as well?  When is your original DD? Ours is June 15th. The doctors told me that if we have more kids I will have to have a cerclage put in at 12 weeks. Makes you reconsider how many kids you want! :) 

TLC, Food Network and Cook.  I have all of these recipes I am trying to keep track of for when I am free to cook again. A pastry chef, I think that is wonderful! I really like the show ''The best thing I ever ate", I used to travel for work a lot and I have seen a few restraunts and dishes that I have experienced myself. Almost makes you feel like you are getting out of the house for a 1/2 hour show ;)

When is chopped on? I need to add that to my DVR!

You take care too, I look forward to us keeping eachother company while we go through this journey! It is a blessing to have friends to relate too!

Hugs,
B

kristinenicolle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011 at 07:08 PM »
its my 4th pregnancy but i dont have any live babies. i lost my first at 20 weeks then 6 weeks then 20 weeks so this is the furthest ive been in a pregnancy. my doctor said i can get up for 15 minutes every few hours but i took it one step further and kinda placed myself on strict bed rest so i only get up to pee & shower.  i guess im a tad paranoid during this pregnancy so im limiting my activity to the bare minimum. im due july 3rd but hoping he holds on til the 4th lol but if he decides to come out the minute they take the stitch out i wont complain lol

my husbands currently in afghanistan so im living with my parents. bed rest has made me feel like a child all over again. always asking my parents for help. i pretty much broke down 2 weeks into it. i miss every day activities like coffee runs or going to watch a movie but i know its for the best and every moment i feel my son move & kick makes it all worth it since i never got to feel those kicks in my previous pregnancies. :)

chopped is on sundays and i think this sunday they start the all stars one. i always thought it was so amazing how they could make these dishes w the most absurd list of ingredients. i watch the best thing i ever ate. im in the Los Angeles area so everytime they have something on there thats local i write it down so once my husband comes home he can get me take out from those places lol i once saw peanut butter jelly french toast on the show and absolutely freaked out. i have got to try that sometime lol

as crappy of a situation as it is, its comforting knowing that im not alone :) its hard trying to talk to someone who knows nothing but an easy go lucky pregnancy. while im happy for them i just wish people understood what im going through and feeling. thats exactly what this forum does :)

take care! keep us updated :)
Bed rest since 12/31/10 - cerclage placed (13 weeks)
2 angel babies: Baby Sean Anthony born on 05/25/09 (20 weeks) & Baby Nicholas James born on 05/16/10 (18 weeks)
Due on 7/3/11 to a baby girl: Madelyn Leann