Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Any alternatives for Gestational Diabetes?  (Read 4717 times)

Lanespoli

• View Profile
Any alternatives for Gestational Diabetes?
« on: February 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM »
I failed my first test, and couldn't go for the 2nd b/c it required being at the lab for 3 hours with nowhere to lay down.  Not to mention, the mere thought of them drawing my blood 5 times in 3 hours is enough to make me pass out just thinking about it.  So they gave me a glucose testing kit (Contour) to do at home 4 times a day for 3 days to write down my counts.  I went to the doctors today so they could show me how to do it, and it was a disaster.  I cried the whole time I was there, had major anxiety and couldn't prick my finger to save my life.  The doctors office finally had to do it for me.  When I went home, I tried to do it to myself 2 hours after lunch and 4 lancets and 3 bloody fingers later, my reading was 39 which is clearly not accurate.  Once again I cried and gave up on the lunch reading.  I then tried again to do it 2 hours after dinner.  Once again, I was completely unsuccessful.  Twice I couldn't even get any blood, even though the thing hurt like crazy, and the other 2 times that I jacked up the depth on the thing, it hurt even worse and I couldn't get the blood to register on the strip.  So that was another 4 lancets down the drain, and more sore fingers with no reading.  I know have bandaids on 9 of my fingers with no successful readings.  Not to mention, that the whole ordeal is extremely stressful and I felt as though I was having a contraction before, during and after trying to do this.  I feel it coming on as soon as I touch the "pen" that the lancet gets put in to. I know it is stressing me out too much and that is not good for the baby either.  I loathe needles and always hated when the doctors pricked my finger and to have to do this 4 times at least a day b/c I can never get a reading is absolutely dreadful.  I shake like crazy even trying to get the blood on the strip.  I am one who can't even pluck my own eyebrows!

My question is, why can't they do the hour long test again?  Why must my only options be a 3 hour test having blood drawn 5 times, which will probably make me pass out, or doing this test thing with the prick machine and totally stressing out me and the baby?  They had me wait until my 29th week because I had the steriod lung shot back at 25 weeks and they said it could alter the diabetes test, so why can't I wait until next week (my 30th week) and redo the hour test?  Furthermore, I get the 17p injections every week (which also sucks) and I saw that there may be a link to testing positive for GD?  Or why can't they just treat me like I have GD and change my diet or give me pills to take?

Coping with bedrest is bad enough, this is the last thing I need to be depressed and stressed out over.  My fear of needles or being pricked is far greater than anyones I know, and I try to rationalize with myself to get through it...ie, it's for Gia, do it for Gia etc...but it still doesn't take away the fear or anxiety which is causing me to shake, feel sick to my stomach, and have tightening all throughout my abdomen (which I am assuming is a contraction).  I feel like a pin cushion, between all these shots, needles, pricks etc.... 

Please tell me there are alternatives out there????  My first reading with the hour test after drinking that stuff was 153.  Today at the dr, it was 70 on the glucose testing meter and other than that I have yet to be successful in any additional reading...

Thank you for any info you all might have :(...

Lori
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

arenee22

• View Profile
Re: Any alternatives for Gestational Diabetes?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011 at 01:37 PM »
Hugs Lori, I hate needles too, It stinks.

I don't have any ideas for you though. The lying down while they do it would be the best bet.

nolagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011 at 07:47 PM »
I had the 3 hr test AFTER having the steroids at 25 weeks they drew at 28 weeks and I failed it. I got the tester and a diabetic educator showed me how to use it. I began testing 4 times a day like a good pt but my sugars were way normal, actually a bit low at times. My sticker thing is so small I think it is for kids...so maybe asking for the pediatric brand. Also I find the pinkie finger to have the best bleeding and not much pain...try putting ice on your finger first. BUT you will have to hang your arm down and pump the blood in your finger b/c the capillaries will constrict but it could distract you...or try to sing and distract yourself or maybe a reward if it is low...choc? one hersey kiss? Well, just a thought!

SO ALSO if you are having the 3 hr test glad you held off b/c I am certain those steroids made mine a false positive...I have not had any wacky sugars only the day I came back to the hosp. with bleeding and have been here since Feb 8. Stress can make them higher as well as a cold or other factors...When I got here the nurses began sticking me again 4 times with what seemed like a lancet out of the middle ages...I would have preferred the leaches! Anyway, after a few days I put an end to that...I told them I will do it and after seeing my sugars my dr. said only fasting and after one meal! YEAH!!! So maybe you could try the fasting one and 2 hours after one meal to get a reading...just one for the day...

Looking at the diet just remember hi protein, low carbs...the hospital has not a clue what they are doing...snacks here are full of carbs so think popcorn, nuts, peanut butter crackers, apples with peanut butter...I read on this forum that fruit can blow your sugar readings so I stopped my OJ but got muscle cramps b/c of low potassium...go figure...so I sparingly drink juice...never was a big fruit fan and hospital fruit has no flavor...so not joining up!

Good Luck...glad you held off on the 3 hr test...you may pass it!...ask them to draw your blood with a butterfly needle...they use them for the kids and less painful...also not that you need a lollipop after but maybe a frozen yogurt or new book...?  :)

PASS THAT TEST...they should be able to accommodate you with somewhere to lie down...I would go for it so maybe you can pass it and be over with it...that stress is not good! Remember to breathe...:)

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011 at 03:54 PM »
Thank God I passed the 3 hour last week.  I just went to the drs office and sat there while they pricked my finger with the glucose meter machine.  Wayyyy better than having a needle stuck in my arm 5 times!

Thanks for all the advice!
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!