Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Stretch Mark City  (Read 7022 times)

Reaganh3

• View Profile
Stretch Mark City
« on: March 01, 2011 at 06:17 PM »
Anyone else covered in stretch marks? 
They have increased big time in the past 3 weeks.  I was using cocoa butter everyday for the first several months, then at the first sign of stretch marks I switched to Mustela.  It hasn't helped. 
I expected a few stretch marks - but I have tons of them - and they are even on my butt too.  :( 
Why couldn't the baby come out back on Feb 17th when I was 4cm dialated?  Or last week when I was 5cm! 
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Lanespoli

• View Profile
Re: Stretch Mark City
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011 at 08:58 PM »
I haven't gotten any yet, but I feel like they are coming for sure.  Everyday, my stomach feels tighter and tighter.  I feel a lot of pulling also from underneath my breasts down towards my feet when I get up to go to the bathroom.  Can you get stretch marks there as well?  My legs and butt has gotten big but no stretch marks yet, just a LOT of cellulite appearing.  I was 118 lbs when I got pregnant and I am now up to 152.  I was 145 when I went on bedrest at 25 weeks and now I'm 30 weeks.  I gained weight pretty quickly in the first 5 months of my pregnancy.

I was hoping that being on bedrest might help me not get stretch marks, but I guess I will probably be sadly mistaken...

Good luck!!!!!!
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

Reaganh3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011 at 09:03 PM »
I've only gained 28 pounds, but apparently that was enough.  Everything about this pregnancy has been the opposite of what I expected.
Everyone is different, as they say...so some people are lucky and won't have any.
Baby Girl EDD 3/10/11.  Bed rest since 25wks (11/23/10), due to contractions & history of pre-term delivery.

Aylw88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011 at 08:25 AM »
So far no new stretch marks being this is my 3rd pregnancy but I barely had any the first time. My 2nd pregnancy made up for it though LOL! I started to get them at around 7-8 months so I'm expecting new ones to start cropping up now sigh..Cellulite though has been multiplying for a while now   :P

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011 at 05:36 PM »
Some mothers get them and some don't. I didn't notice ANY with my daughter until after I delivered. They were hiding under my naval and behind me (on my back and hips) My breasts are terrible tho. I breastfed her for a long time and when I lost weight they were everywhere on my breasts. There really is nothing you can do to prevent them. Some women have only a few, sparse silvery ones and others have huge, rope-like, bright red ones. They fade after the baby is born and get smaller when you lose weight, but they never fully go away. (Sigh) Se La Vi.... such is life. A price we mothers pay for our little ones.  :-\

Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

BWilson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011 at 06:51 PM »
I was wondering this same thing? I have started getting little bits of cellulite on my thighs... never had that before! For those of you that have had previous pregnancies, does this go away? I have been using Mama Mio tummy butter, it is a little spendy but so far is working. Who knows though, I am only 6.5 months along. I could get all of my here soon! Haha, that would be my luck.

Another funny question from a first time mom, is it hard to lose some/all your baby weight once you have the baby?  Any tips for first time moms? Does it really help burn calories when hour breast feed?

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011 at 10:25 PM »
@BWilson-
The cellulite never really goes away but gets better with strength training/weights and moderate cardio after wards because you are toning and stretching the skin when your muscles get more defined.There is no lotion that's proven it will prevent stretch marks, but it's good for your skin and can help maybe make it a little more elastic. Stretch marks generally come in the last month or two. Being a labor & delivery nurse, I've seen every belly imaginable and know that some people are just prone to stretch marks, others get "lucky" genetically.
Breastfeeding burns 500-1000 calories extra a day, so it's a GREAT weight loss agent. You can't "diet" really on it, because if you cut your caloric intake below, say... 1600 calories, your body will stop or dramatically cut back on milk supply and your baby will suffer for it. Breast milk has been proven to provide irreplaceable immune factors to babies, and studies have proven breastfed infants have less ear infections and get sick less than bottle-fed infants. Studies have ALSO proven breastfed babies score better on IQ tests later in life.
Tips for breastfeeding:   Make sure you drink a lot of milk and water when you're breastfeeding, and be careful what you eat or what medications you take. Onions and mushrooms upset my daughter's tummy while breastfeeding, and some medications and alcohol cross the milk barrier as well. When you have a fussy night with your baby, think back about what you ate. It's trial and error sometimes but you'll figure it out. Also, a Boppy is a MUST for breastfeeding. Mine was irreplaceable!
3 previous losses

BWilson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
@Mckoygirl:

Thank you so much for the info, you really have a wonderful perspective as a nurse. I am sure you have seen it all! I am lopking forward to breastfeeding, don't worry... dieting will be the last thing on my mind. I have had the darndest time trying to gain weight during my pregnancy. Everyone says I am lucky, but sometimes I worry that there is something wrong. I eat a lot ( 3 meals a dat plus lots of good protein filled snacks.) Not sure what the deal is, I guess everyone is different. One of my girlfriends couldn't help gaining weight in her pregnancy, like 60lbs. 
Wow, I just think it is amazing what benefits come from breastfeeding for Baby and Mommy! I am hoping I have a good eater. :) How far along are you? What # is this for you?

Since you have so much experience, I was wondering if you would recommend a breast pump?  I have been shopping around and there are a lot of options!

Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Hugs,
Bre

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011 at 05:35 PM »
@Bre-
I've heard Medela has a good pump, the one that comes in a backpack. The hospital should also rents pumps if you're interested. I rented mine last time. It's $50 a month where I am (I believe), and it works better than any you can buy. The bad thing about buying a pump is that you can't resell it (or shouldn't). Now if you are planning on having more than one kid, it's a good investment. The only pumps that are re-usable to different people are the ones the hospital rent, which look a little like a dinosaur...  ;)
As far as the weight gain goes.... as long as you are eating as you should, 5-6 small to medium meals a day filled with good protein, complex carbs, calcium and fruit/veggies, and as long as the baby is growing as it should and isn't measuring small, consider yourself blessed with good genetics. Some people have to be very careful and still gain a lot of weight, others just don't put on that much. I am a gainer  :-\ I got up to 230lbs with my first child (I'm 5'5" and normally weigh between 135-145lbs), and I started this pregnancy out at 150lbs, now I'm 184lbs and 23 weeks with twins. With my daughter (who's five now), I lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks breastfeeding. When she was 6 months old I had lost a total of 45lbs and was a size 16. It took me 6 months of walking/running 5 miles a day and being conservative with my intake (still, while breastfeeding) to get down to 145lbs/size 8 again. We'll see... I'm hoping the twins with suck it right off me...  ;D   if I could be so lucky...

As far as your questions, this is my 4th pregnancy, I lost the first two, then carried my daughter to term. I'm 23weeks pregnant with twins (we're not finding out what they are), and have been on bedrest for 5 weeks now. I LOVED being a labor & delivery nurse, and I miss my patients! I've already had two upset patients contact me on facebook because I delivered their other children, but I can't deliver their current pregnancies/babies because I'm on bedrest...lol nice to be loved.

Look into taking a breastfeeding class at your hospital. Most offer this for free. Our hospital does. It will really help. They usually offer them every few months, so you might be able to catch one closer to your due date. Our hospital has a "lactation consultant" who will personally work with patients to help them be successful in breastfeeding. See if your area has one of these. Ours is phenomenal. Also, if, (heaven forbid), you end up delivering early, you can still pump the milk and give it to the nursery nurses to feed your baby while in special care. I know of mothers who've done this. It's one of the best gifts you can give to your child in that situation. The more you pump (or the more the baby nurses), the more your body will want to produce. It signals your brain to produce more milk because there's a demand for it.
Hope this helps.
Melody

3 previous losses

nolagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011 at 11:48 PM »
I just delivered last week at 31 wks and 6 days...I started pumping with the hospital pump SYMPHONY by Medela...I must say that this is not only the quietest pump but the most effective pump I have ever used. I used to pump at work for my other children and it was not as good a pump as this one.  You can borrow pumps...you just need all new tubing and stuff which you can buy at any lactation center.

I was happy to pump because after all that bedrest...i finally have a job! Now my milk is in and things are going well. Baby is only taking in 7ml per feeding (8 times per day in his gastric tube)...but the breastmilk is the best...if you can do it. Also pumping helps contract the uterus which promotes healing...just remember to take your pain meds before bc after birthpains feel pretty bad when nursing infant...they are less with the pump so maybe not as effective. BUt i had my first C section so maybe they are not as pronounced.

I noticed that they do not message the fundus as with vaginal delivery. Why? Should I worry about that now that I am home? Sometimes I am really swollen and they it goes down...is that normal? Less bleeding than with vag too...this has been a whole different sort of experience!

Congrats to Reagan3 on her beautiful daughter...nothing like fist holding your little one...also holding her the next day and the day after...etc!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011 at 09:10 AM »
As far as the recycling of breast pumps...
"The reason the FDA designates many breastpumps as "single user" devices, is that there is no complete way to clean certain pumps to ensure that the breastmilk of the original user is not still within the pump system.  Because some diseases have been shown to exist in breastmilk, the possibility of transmitting diseases through a used breastpump does exist, although it appears that no such cases have been documented."
http://www.breastfeeding.com/workingmom/used_pumps.html
If you go to this link, it also lists some non-single user devices which mean they are safe to use again. The problem with the breast-pumps are some of them have a valve inside which is not able to be removed or replaced, and there is a small possibility of the previous owner's breastmilk coming in contact with the valve, thus contaminating future pumped milk. There are also diseases spread through breast milk. Although the possibility is small, it's still there. This site lists the Medela Classic and Medela Lactina breastpumps as non-single user pumps, which means the FDA doesn't think it would be harmful to use them again.
Melody
3 previous losses

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011 at 09:18 AM »
Also, I noticed online that the only pumps that the FDA considers safe and re-usable are only the hospital-grade pumps, such as the Medela Classic, Medela Lactina, and Medela Symphony. They are well over $1,000.00 a piece. So, renting one of those is more affordable than buying a new one. The new pumps are anywhere from $250-$350. These pumps aren't as strong as the hospital grade, but they are sufficient. I would recommend getting a double pump, because when you are pumping, sometimes the opposite breast starts to let down or leak when you are pumping from just one. That way none is wasted and you pump in half the time.
3 previous losses

nolagirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM »
I would not buy a used pump on ebay but seriously it is a pump and the milk goes no where in the suction. I had a Medela pump in style...if you are unsure if you even can pump borrowing one from your sister or friend is not an issue if you buy ALL new tubing, containers, horns etc. I would never deal with any brand but Medela.   

For pumping for any NICU babies the hospital rental is the only way to go. You need the most suck there is and you really cannot get it from borrowed (motor wears down after repeated uses...I pumped 10 yrs ago at work and it was not the ideal situation, I didn't have a lot of time so I rented the hospital pump for that too)...other babies I didn't pump as much so I borrowed my sisters...A lot of the time if you cannot pump at work the baby will reverse feed and wait for you to get home...BUT that is all you can do all evening and night is nurse...so it can be done even if you are not able to pump at work.

Of course Medela will tell you not to reuse pumps...how else are they going to sell more? Again, I would not advocate from strangers but friends you really know sure, the milk does not go in the pump at all.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011 at 10:10 AM »
Here is the FDA recommendations for breast pump re-use.
http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/HomeHealthandConsumer/ConsumerProducts/BreastPumps/ucm061939.htm#4

Also, La Leche League International is the most widely recognized international breastfeeding organization and there is SO much helpful information on their site. It is what we nurses are educated by for breastfeeding assistance to our patients, and it is who certifies lactation consultants. It is a great resource for breastfeeding.
This is their main website:
http://www.llli.org/

Here is a link to their website explanations and recommendations for breast pumps.
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvjunjul04p54.html

This is the La Leche League's advice and explanation as to the re-use of breast pumps:

Open Systems vs. Closed Systems

"Some mothers mistakenly assume that because rental pumps are safely shared by mothers that it is also safe to share purchase pumps. This is not true. Rental pumps and purchase pumps are designed differently. The collection kits (the bottles and tubing that attach to the pump) used with the rental pumps are designed so that the milk never touches the working parts of the pump that are shared with other mothers. This is considered a “closed system.”

Most purchase pumps, for example Medela’s Pump In Styles, DoubleEase, and MiniElectric, are “open systems.” This means that the pump motor is “open” to contact with the mother’s milk particles. In a Pump In Style, for example, the breastshield (the part held against the breast) is open to the tubing that attaches to the back of the shield, which is also open to the diaphragm on the pump motor that creates the suction and release. This means that an invisible mist of milk particles can travel from the shield into the tubing and back onto the pump diaphragm. The diaphragm cannot be removed or sterilized, so it cannot be cleaned well enough between mothers to insure safety. When there are milk particles on the pump diaphragm, even with a brand new set of bottles, tubing and breastshields, with every suction and release another mother’s milk particles will be blown into your milk. Even if milk particles are not visible, they can still be there. (One sure sign is mold growing in the tubing, which sometimes happens with normal use.)" (La Leche League International)

La Leche League is not MEDELA or affiliated with any profit from breast pumps, so it's advice isn't to make profits. I guess the choice would just be up to the individual. As nolagirl implied, if you have a close family member or friend you feel confident would be safe to use their pump then by all means, that is your choice. But all of the experts (not just the companies manufacturing the pumps) have proven their point with the open systems. Probably not a huge risk to your baby, but since it's there, they can't recommend re-using them.
3 previous losses