Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: On bedrest and bleeding  (Read 3356 times)

Jazzany

• View Profile
On bedrest and bleeding
« on: April 18, 2009 at 11:00 AM »
I am terribly constipated most of the time, and in trying to have a bowel movement one day I applied a lot of pressure and found myself bleeding.  I am 18 weeks pregnant,  and have a cervical suture.  I have visited the doctor lately and though she saw some light bleeding, there was no bleeding near my cervix and my cervix is in fact still closed, thank goodness. 

I am still a bit worried as the bleeding, to this day, has not ceased, its light and is of a dark red colour.  The doctor said that it might be an infection from the cervical suture, and I was sent for some test.  The results I am still awaiting.

I have 1 daughter but this is my 8th pregnancy, I had 5 early miscarriages and one at 24 weeks which resulted in a baby girl who died 2 days later.  So I hope you see my concern.  I really want this baby as I cannot imagine going through another pregnancy and would love to have another child.  I have been on bedrest for 2 months already and will have to be until the baby comes in August.  I opted to stay at home on bedrest though I remained at hospital for 7 months when I was expecting my daughter.

Has anyone ever had this experience with bleeding while having a bowel movement, and if so, what did your doctor say?

DFTLEE

• View Profile
Re: On bedrest and bleeding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009 at 01:11 PM »
Jazzany,
Hi. I'm Darline Turner-Lee and I work with women on bed rest. I read your post and was wondering if your doctor has you on stool softeners?  When I was having my children, I was taking a prenatal vitamin with Iron. It bound me up something fierce!! So during my pregnancy my OB had me taking Colace tablets (docusate sodium. they look like little vitamin E tablets). She also recommended that I eat a high fiber diet so I ate oatmeal with raisins most mornings, lots of fruit and drank lots of water. I had the advantage of being able to walk around which helped to keep things moving. I had c-sections with both of my kids and remained on the colace for quite some time post partum so that I would keep my stools soft and not strain thus putting pressure on my c-section incision.

Are you on strict bed rest or what I like to call "house arrest?" If you are on house arrest, walk around your house a bit. The movement will stimulate your circulation, increasing blood flow to your colon, increasing the cleansing process an facilitating elimination.

Hope this helps.

Jazzany

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 at 02:21 PM »
Thanks for your reply,  it did help.

I am unfortunately on strict bed rest, so I really have to limit my movement, so I'm going to have to deal with the constipation for a while.  I have been eating lots of prunes and try to eat a high fibre diet.  Unfortunately when my bleeding started my doctor was off island so I had to see another doctor who recommended lactulose solution which taste just like sugar and water.  I'm supposed to take it for 3 days, and I can't say that I find it of much use.  I'm eating more fruits in the hope that they will help, along with the raisin bran I have been trying.  I will include the oatmeal in my diet as well.  I really don't want to end up with a serious case of hemorrhoids after all of this.

Thank you for your response.  Please keep in touch as it really helps to have someone who understands your situation.  My partner and friends are pretty good to me, but no one can truly understand what you're going through unless they too have been there.

Jazzany

tinamc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM »
I read on another bed rest board that some women have various "tricks" to deal with the constipation issue. Some drink decaf coffee. Some have a dose of milk of magnesia every night. and some even keep an enema next to the toilet. And a couple used a combo of these because it was imperative to not strain in anyway. And all of these were OB approved.