Author Topic: Cramping at 31 weeks, anyone else?  (Read 18325 times)

Lanespoli

• View Profile
Cramping at 31 weeks, anyone else?
« on: March 12, 2011 at 09:46 PM »
Hey everyone,

Quick question is anyone having period type cramping in their lower abdomen?  I am not having any contractions and other than the cramping, I feel fine.  They are very mild, but are enough for me to notice them.  My baby had the hiccups so I thought maybe it was related to that, but the hiccups went away and I still feel crampy.  I haven't had any bleeding either.  The baby is breech too, so I'm not sure if perhaps she is pushing on something that is causing the crampy feeling. 

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this....thanks.

Lori
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Cramping at 31 weeks, anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM »
Hi, Lori. Period-type cramping in the lower abdomen can be a sign of preterm labor, so you'll want to watch for these other symptoms: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx

Are you having any lower back pain? If you notice pain in your back followed by cramping, that can be a contraction. Any more discharge than usual or any change in its consistency (more like egg whites than cottage cheese)? Sorry if TMI!

Keep us posted, and don't hesitate to call your doc or go to L&D. They'd always rather see a patient and then send her home than see a patient too late and send a baby to the NICU. Be safe!

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM »
Thank you Angela, and I didn't think there was such a thing as "TMI" when you are pregnant lol.  I'd rather hear details regardless of how invasive or graphic they may be lol.  I haven't had any other symptoms, had some discharge but I believe it was pee b/c I was drinking so much.  They also gave me a 3 nite cream to use at night for a yeast infection (sorry if that is TMI), and the first dose was last nite so any discharge I had today I contributed to the cream.

It's so hard to know what is normal and what isn't during a first pregnancy.  I can't tell what is pee leaking and what is discharge anymore.  Last time I thought I was leaking more than normal it turned out to be nothing and they sent me home.  Of course this always happens on the weekends when the dr is closed lol. 

The cramping has seemed to subside for now, maybe it was just her stirring up in there or hitting something sensitive.  I'm so afraid at this point that I won't recognize the symptoms of preterm labor like my water breaking, leaking fluid, losing my plug etc.... this is very stressful!
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

Aylw88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM »
I've had cramping since 6 weeks on & off...it's always belly button down & dead centre..no bleeding & I'm also unsure what's leaking & what's discharge anymore ugh! I've told my drs & they have noted it. I also feel pressure belly button down but not actual fully belly braxton hicks. I've also told drs & they told me to just keep track of it. I feel stinging too & I know that's my cervix doing things down there. Nothing fixes it but elevating my bottom so I'll occasionally switch positions & remove/add pillow under my bottom half. Sorry I'm not any help but I wanted to let you know I'm definitely stressed like you!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011 at 12:46 AM »
Hi, Lori. An infection can cause cramping and contractions and/or preterm labor, so I'm glad to hear you aren't having any other symptoms.

I know what you mean about not knowing when to call the doctor or go to L&D. I had a lot of anxiety about that too. There were two things that really helped me. First, our childbirth preparedness instructor (who I got to know very well with all my trips to L&D for both kiddos) said that the time to call is when anything changes. A change in discharge; a change in the pain level of the cramps; cramps changing into contractions; or the frequency of the cramps/contractions increasing. Also, any new feelings count as change, like feelings of pressure "down there" or pain in your thighs. Or nausea.

The other thing that helped was to print out the list of preterm labor symptoms and put it on the fridge. Any time I though something was up, I'd head to the kitchen to load up on water and read through the checklist. If I started saying yes, I knew it was time to call the doc again. It made the decision-making process very black-and-white when I could focus on the checklist and not on my fears and emotions. Keep us posted...

Angela

Silvereyez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011 at 01:19 AM »
I just had this conversation with my doctor earlier this morning. I am 26 weeks and had cramping this morning and after calling L&D they told me that my infection can cause cramping and to lay down and literally chug the biggest glass of water i could get my hands on and after an hour or so it went away. If it persists i'd at least shoot a call to L&D though or your doctor if its during office hours.