Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Bed Rest Recovery - What happens after confinement  (Read 7151 times)

firsttimemommy

• View Profile
Bed Rest Recovery - What happens after confinement
« on: June 04, 2009 at 12:26 AM »
I was on strict bed rest for 10 weeks and am now on modifed bed rest and will soon be released from bed rest altogether. I am excited about getting out and about a little, but I have such little energy. It takes all my morning energy just to get up and showered to go somewhere, then I have to lie down for 45 min before we can leave the house.

I felt my legs getting weaker through out my time in bed and they are slowly getting better, but my endurance hasn't seemed to change any. I thought bed rest was frustrating enough, but now that I can do a few things, I barely have the energy. And forbid me to say this, but sometimes I get so tired I just want to get back in bed!!!! (10 weeks ago I could not have imagined saying that!)

If there is anyone out there who is doing bed rest for a second time or is getting off bed rest, I would love advice on how to cope with bed rest recovery. And for those of you currently on bed rest, know that it will take time to recover from your confinement... you can't just hop out of bed and go to the grocery store. And that can be just as frustrating as staying in bed!!!! So take your time and let your family know that you won't be back to your old self immediately after. And then you may have to take care of a baby too.....

thanks!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Bed Rest Recovery - What happens after confinement
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009 at 10:56 PM »
This is a great question! I've asked an expert on exercise during pregnancy bed rest if she would write an article on some exercises women can do after bed rest (but while still pregnant) to help get their strength back. We hope to post that on the News & Articles page (www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx) in the next several days.

Recovery can be really tough. You want to do so much after sitting around so long, but your body just can't do it. Other women have the opportunity to get used to the gradual weight gain, but women on bed rest don't. For me, I tried to balance easing back into things with pushing myself harder a few times each day. In the meantime, you could start with the pregnancy bed rest exercise video by the expert I mentioned earlier: www.mamasonbedrest.com She has clips on her site.

If you find that your lack of energy is turning into weakness or extreme fatigue, be sure to mention it to your doctor. It's easy to pass things off as "normal" pregnancy pain/discomfort/fatigue, but it can be a symptom of something more. Especially mention any dizziness, nausea, seeing spots, headache, or bleeding gums.

Why have you been on bed rest, if you don't mind me asking?

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Bed Rest Recovery - What happens after confinement
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009 at 10:42 PM »
Here's a link to the article on bed rest exercises:

http://www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx

And an excerpt:

HOW TO MAINTAIN MUSCLE TONE WHILE ON BED REST

And also help speed your bed rest recovery

By Darline Turner-Lee

Bed rest is seldom in any woman’s plan for her pregnancy. Yet each year some 700,000 to 1 million women willingly succumb to their obstetricians’ bed rest prescriptions to ensure the best hope for their babies.

However, bed rest is not without risk. Numerous research studies report that inactivity—even for as short a time as two weeks—results in loss of muscle mass and strength. NASA studies done to evaluate the effects of weightlessness on female astronauts found that in 60 days women lost up to 25 percent of muscle mass and nearly half of their muscle strength.
Continue:
http://www.keepemcookin.com/news.aspx