Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 15mm cervix length  (Read 7811 times)

arenee22

• View Profile
15mm cervix length
« on: March 16, 2011 at 04:56 PM »
So I have a question, if any of you know the answer. My cervix is now down to 15mm which is 1.5 cm and I was reading on one of the  pages of keep em cookin that that at 34 weeks, which I will be on Fri, I have a 50%  chance of going into labor early.
My dr said it could be normal to be this short at this stage, but from what I have read online it says avg cerv length at 34 weeks is 3.0 cm. I also have some funneling and I may have lost some of my mucous plug. I guess Im just not sure what to expect.

My dr said the baby would be fine if it was born now, but I would prefer to go to term of course. She also told me that if I went into labor after 34 weeks they wouldnt stop it.

Lanespoli

• View Profile
Re: 15mm cervix length
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011 at 10:52 PM »
I was 1.6 at 25 weeks when they put me on bedrest and I have been fluctuating every since....manly stay between 1.6 and 1.9 and I'm still cooking 7 weeks later :).  Not sure if that will ease your mind, but so far I've been stable with 1.6....
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011 at 09:44 AM »
Hi, Arenee22.

Cervix length as a predictor of preterm birth is most accurate between 20 and 24 weeks. So your doctor is right that a length of 1.5 cm at 34 weeks COULD be normal. But, let's look at your experiences this pregnancy. If you've been having contractions, cramps, pressure, funneling, etc., your body is probably gearing up for the big day too soon. I can't provide medical advice, of course, but if I were you I'd continue to stay well hydrated and on either side as much as possible to give your baby more time to cook. I would try to keep pressure of off my cervix by avoiding sitting up and going up and down stairs, and keep showers short.

One doc I saw said they won't stop labor after 34 weeks "because our NICU outcomes are so good." Yikes! If anything, that motivated me to be even more strict with my bedrest from 34 to 37 weeks. I know it's stressful not knowing what to expect. Just plan on making it to 40 weeks! You CAN do it! Most of the women here on the Forum make it to 37 weeks and beyond. I think because we learn to be so aware of what our bodies are telling us. And the support helps too! :+) Keep us posted!

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011 at 08:34 AM »
Thanks for your input. I have been sitting with my feet up, should I be lying down? I have felt really crampy the last few days and have had more contractions, but not enough to send me to L&D

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM »
Hi!
Yes, you will be putting less pressure on your cervix if you are lying down on either side. Sitting up (even with your feet up) will still put pressure on your cervix.

Do you ever have more than 4 contractions in an hour? Do you have any of these other preterm labor symptoms: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx

arenee22

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM »
I have maybe 2 or 3 an hour. I will try to lay down more. Thanks for the advice

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM »