Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Is lifting bedrest restictions ok?  (Read 4427 times)

nadrobertson

• View Profile
Is lifting bedrest restictions ok?
« on: April 15, 2011 at 02:00 PM »
Ok so now I'm feeling a little anxious because it's so hard for me I guess to go with the flow sometimes... :)

Yesterday at my OB appt he checked me and said that I am still not dilated which is the main thing he's been concerned about and I'm pretty sure I'm not having any real contractions. He said the baby still feels high and the cervix is only a tad soft.
I've been on bedrest for 1 week because of short cervix and +fFn, I am 28 weeks right now.
He said to keep doing what I've been doing (modified bedrest where I'm pretty much down most of the day) for the next week, then next week I'll get checked again and I'll have an u/s to measure the baby's growth and my cervix.
Then if things still seem stable he said I might be able to have the restrictions (some?) lifted and start to do more at home, and could go back to work on light duty or modified schedule or something.
WHICH IS GREAT and I'm happy. But, I'm feeling a bit anxious because won't I still be in the danger zone at only 29 weeks next week? And it's confusing because when all this started they said I had to be on bedrest for 5 weeks till 32 weeks. Now it's all up in the air and going week by week. But I already made all these arrangements at work, to be gone indefinitely and arranged for emergency leave and short term disability. I'm also worried that if the restrictions get lifted then my husband and everyone will just expect me to go back to full throttle (it's going to be hard find an in between!)....
SO MY QUESTIONS IS: Has anyone had experience with having their bedrest lifted? Does this happen sometimes? How careful do you have to be? Have you had to go back on bedrest again? Not sure what to think about it all!..... ???
Baby #2 EDD 7/6/11: on bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and +fFn
Baby #1 BD 9/1/08: natural uncomplicated term birth

Lanespoli

• View Profile
Re: Is lifting bedrest restictions ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM »
If I were you, I would definately STAY on bedrest until you hit at least 32 weeks.  Your cervix can change week to week as mine did.  Even on bedrest, some weeks it was long and some it measured short.  Even if they "modify" your bedrest, I would still stay home and not go back to work and definitely not lift things.  When they modified my bedrest, all it meant was that I could do one SMALL outing a day, ie restaurant, movie, store etc..., but I still could not lift things and I still had to relax and lay down when I wasn't on my outings.  And even when they took me off of bedrest completely at 34 weeks, I will tell you that I could not go back to my normal routine, it was far too tiring and far too stressful.  I also took a leave of absence from work and do not plan on returning until 2 months after I have my baby.

Don't risk it, stay put doing what you are doing until you get to at least 32 weeks, that's what I would do!!

Lori
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011 at 05:30 PM »
I was put on bed rest at 25 weeks and at about 34/35 it was lifted. My doc said I could go back to work if I wanted. At 36 I got put back on because I was seeing stars and had high blood pressure. Starting at about 32 weeks, I was allowed little outings. I'd stay down if I were you, but it really is a week to week kind of thing. It has been for me.
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011 at 08:07 AM »
nadrobertson - I have seen what your doctor is suggesting in some circumstances but considering your initial symptoms, I think you definitely have a case to remain on bedrest, at least for now. Talk to your physician about it. Explain the arrangements you've made at work with disability, etc and the financial strain it would now put on you to return to work after you've used your paid time off and are now on short-term disability. You can even mention if he wants to lift it to a more moderate bedrest where you can stand to cook dinners, go out for a brief excursion, etc, you're fine with that. Just tell him right now "work" is a 4-letter word!  ;)

Due to the fact that I actually work around my physicians and they see my coworkers everyday who continually ask them: "When is Melody going to be able to come back to work?" (I'm a nurse in L&D), the subject was brought up once by one of the physicians about eventually releasing me to go back if all stays stable.  :-\ Well, I've been on bedrest for 12 weeks now, am 28.4 wks pregnant with twins, am measuring 41 weeks and am so breathless, even walking to the bathroom. I can tell you I will DEMAND to stay on bedrest at this point.  >:( At least not working. I've used up all my paid time off, and am waiting for my long-term disability to kick in. If they released me now to go back, I would lose ALL that time I've been building into the time period before my Long-term disability (12 weeks) starts, AND I wouldn't have any paid time off when I have the babies. NOT TO MENTION there's NO WAY I would be able to function working on my feet all day, 12 hr shifts, full-time. The other nurses would have to pick up my slack and would hate me for it!  :-\

Explain the concerns you have about the "full throttle" issue and the original plans for bedrest until 32 weeks. You can even get very pointed with the doctor and phrase questions like: "So you're saying if my baby came before 32 weeks, it would have absolutely NO problems? I thought that was the original plan, to wait until after that point to alter the bedrest?" Doctor's don't like to give guarantees, especially one they know isn't true. Basically you're asking them to guarantee your baby will be ok if they alter the original plan of care (bedrest until 32 weeks), which they can't do and as a result, probably shouldn't (liability-wise especially). Doctors, even good ones, are always concerned about covering themselves in case something ever happens to their patients and they get called into court. If they released you to go back to work with you questioning them, and then something happens to your baby, they are partially responsible... does that make sense? Don't want to play mean, but I am in a similar situation and would have my own back up plan installed, just in case.

On a more positive note, WONDERFUL news that you're holding stable! That's marvelous!  :D
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

nadrobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011 at 02:25 PM »
Thanks McCoy- that's a good point about the waiting for the disability to kick in and then it getting screwed up. I am sure my short term disability application has already gotten screwed up because after i sent it in, i got some leave donated by a co worker which was so amazingly generous but of course you have to use each in a certain time period and in a particular order or nothing will count for during maternity leave....arghgggh the whole work thing is crazy!
i will definitely ask them those questions at my appt on Wed the only problem is my regular OB is out of town so i'll see someone totally new....but hey maybe at the u/s they'll see that things are still too dicey. i'm going to call the disability ins co also....
thanks so much for your knowledge must be so interesting to be in your position when you're seeing it sometimes firsthand at work. i have a similar parallel because i am the science field and one of my co workers studies preterm birth so it's weird to know things from her research then have it happen to me.
you hang in there too and keep those twins safe :)
Baby #2 EDD 7/6/11: on bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and +fFn
Baby #1 BD 9/1/08: natural uncomplicated term birth