Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: What helped you most during your time on bedrest?  (Read 4719 times)

krshmt

• View Profile
What helped you most during your time on bedrest?
« on: March 19, 2011 at 05:04 PM »
Hello ladies!  I am beginning to volunteer on an antepartum unit at a hospital keeping women entertained while they are on bed rest.  I was hoping to gain some insight from those of you who found activities that helped lift your spirits, promote comfort, and ease your fears.  Also, what didn't help?  I very much appreciate your help.  Thank you!

bhwhou

• View Profile
Re: What helped you most during your time on bedrest?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011 at 05:26 PM »
What has helped me the most is visitors and phone calls from friends.  I guess you will be visiting, so that will be helpful, but another thing that has kept me motivated is a book with the developmental stages of the baby, week by week.  It shows how important each week in utero is for the baby's development.  When I get weary of sitting here, I look at the book and see what will be happening in the next week or so and it makes it easier to stay off my feet.  You might see if you could get some magazines with the same information from an OBs office - my OBs office gave me one at my first appointment.

What was NOT helpful was people telling me how lucky I am to be on bedrest - how nice it must be not to have to do laundry, chores, etc.  Obviously this came from someone who had never experienced bed rest herself.

What a great thing you are doing - I think just having your visit will be very helpful to these moms!

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011 at 08:29 PM »
What makes me feel the best is getting up everyday to get dressed. I don't stay in pj's or "comfy" clothes all day. I get up, put on a cute top with jeans or shorts or a skirt (although I do stay comfortable, nothing fancy obviously) and do my make-up. I wash and blow dry my hair every other day (or sometimes every third day). It helps to make me feel put together. I was showering everyday, but my skin went crazy with being dry and I was clawing at myself because I was so itchy. Now I use special soap, shower every other day, and do a lotion rub down everyday. I know some people might not be able to do this if they aren't allowed to get up for as long as it might take to blow dry your hair, but you can still do your make up in bed if you have a mirror. You can also do a little bit at a time. Like take a few minutes to brush your teeth, go to the bathroom and put on some clothes. Lay back down for maybe 10 minutes, then get up and do your makeup. The days I wash my hair, I don't actually blow dry it for maybe 30 minutes after I've put my clothes and make up on so that I can lay back down.
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011 at 07:10 AM »
What would have helped me that I didn't have was someone to make house calls to do my nails, hair or give me a massage.  I felt so lazy and ugly, like I wasn't even able to take care of myself.  Everytime I looked in the mirror I got depressed b/c I didn't even recognize who I was.  Also, which I know is a little far fetched but I was craving to hold or lay with a puppy lol.  I know it seems weird, but I just wanted something to lay with me?

I was too depressed for visitors, as I didn't feel like entertaining anyone looking the way I did, or going out of my way to try and make up b/c I was too weak.... 

Good for you that you are doing this, bedrest is an awful way to spend a pregnancy, I'm sure anything you do will be much appreciated. :).
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011 at 01:18 PM »
Visits from friends and family are the most uplifting.
Little things people do like bringing me magazines or books and treats (like chocolates) are nice.
 I get really, TRULY tired of eating the same stuff too (like wheat thins, fruit, peanut butter and jelly and yogurt). When someone brings me something from somewhere outside, even if it's fast food it's a welcomed break.
 I do like to look at the developmental pictures and stages as bhwhou suggested. It gives me motivation and a sense of accomplishment... like I've gotten the baby THIS far and THIS is what they look like and are working on in there.
Amazingly enough, this forum is fun too. For some of us that were working prior to this (where the majority of my friends are), you don't realize how much you need that interaction and connection with people. It helps to connect with some of these women on here who can identify with the many, numerous, daily complaints...  ;)
I like to get dressed and at least do my makeup, to at least feel attractive to my husband. I do that about every other day.
I agree with Lanespoli, I would LOVE a massage or pedicure. I'm embarrassed about the calluses on my feet and condition of my nails. It's amazing how many muscles ache too, a massage would be lovely. Finding someone who could come and do my hair (cut/color) at home would be great.
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

krshmt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011 at 05:25 PM »
Thank you all so much for your wonderful suggestions.  I am really looking forward to helping women during this time in their pregnancy!  I wish you all the best.  Keep the good ideas coming!  :)

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011 at 03:32 PM »
Absolutely house calls are awesome! I had a mani/pedi at home and I get a weekly prenatal massage at home. The only thing is that it costs A LOT more. I know I could have had a haircut at home too, but never did. And now I'm allowed a weekly outing so I get my nails done every 2 weeks and I'm going to get a haircut this weekend. It would be so nice if, because we have no other choice, places would wave the house call fee. I can understand them charging a fee to come to you if you're doing that for the convenience or luxury of it, but when it's because you medically can't go to them, it should not cost more.

Having my dogs here with me has made this all bearable. I don't know what I would do without them. They snuggle me and my belly and keep me company. And they're so cute and funny so they keep me entertained. I completely understand what you mean lanespoli! Of course, bed rest or not, I literally need dogs in my life. That's just how I am and have always been!
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011 at 08:25 PM »
What helped me :
  • Maintaining a routine - getting dressed + showering daily
  • Working remotely from home
  • Taking up a craft - I've made 8 blankets this month alone!
  • Blogging in detail about my pregnancy
  • My forums ( this one, my PCOS community, and twitter)
  • weekend visits from friends
  • having my mother stay with me
  • Flash games - bored.com , playtowerdefensegames.com , and lots of angry birds
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!