Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: On bedrest at 29 weeks and going crazy...  (Read 4562 times)

Britta

• View Profile
On bedrest at 29 weeks and going crazy...
« on: March 11, 2009 at 05:33 PM »
Hi! I just found this forum through another website and thought I would post my story. I need some encouragement because I am going crazy!

It took us over two years to conceive and we finally did, but not in a normal way. After finally giving in and taking Clomid, it certainly made me ovulate, but I didn't get pregnant. Instead I got my period right on time at the end of that cycle and somehow I spontaneously ovulated on my own either during my period or the week after and I got pregnant. I didn't find out until I was 7wk2days and we were just overjoyed! Two weeks before that I started having food aversions and horrible fatigue and I attributed it all to the major stress in my life at the time. It never occured to me that I would be pregnant. Anyway, it seems like once I found out the ALL day sickness took over. I have no idea how I continued to work (a nanny for a 2 and 3 yr old, one with special needs, over 40 hrs a week) because I felt like I was going to die. Well come my 17th week I started to finally feel better, but I was still fatigued. Come week 21 it was a saturday and I felt fine in the morning, but then all of a sudden I just didn't feel good. I tried to nap, but I couldn't get comfortable or sleep. That evening while making dinner I had my first contraction. At first I wasn't sure what it was, but after about 3 in a 10 minute time frame it occurred to me "braxton-hicks". I wasn't worried, but they were starting to hurt and that seemed weird. They subsided after about an hour. On Sunday they came again and lasted off and on all day and were getting pretty uncomfortable. Preterm labor never crossed my mind. Monday was a holiday and I called the dr because I was still having infrequent contractions. The nurse thought it was probably a UTI and scheduled me in for Tuesday. I went in Tuesday and I sure did have a UTI and was given antibiotics. Wednesday morning I felt miserable and had so much pain in my abdomen and low lying pressure, I could barely stand up straight and I just felt "sick". I called the doctor and they said "go to L&D right now." So I had to gather up the kids, make arrangements for their parents to pick them up at the hospital. So they set me up on the monitor for about 2 hours and sure enough...a contraction every 5 minutes! They did an ultrasound and my cervix was at 6cm and the baby was fine. They gave me a shot of Terbutaline and monitored me for another couple hours and things slowed way down. They sent me home on modified bedrest. By the following Monday I was still have contractions, terrible menstrual type cramping and pressure even on bedrest. I was given an rx for oral Terb to take every 4 hrs as needed.

I made three more trips to L&D to be monitored, took lots of Terb, had a bad reaction and passed out while lying down, was given Vistaril to counteract the side effects of Terb. Finally by 26 weeks I was feeling better. I only would have a few contractions a day and everything was going smoothly, except my cervix shortened to 4cm. That's still normal so no one is worried. Then one night I was lying down and it felt like my entire abdomen dropped to the floor. I sat up immediately and could feel baby really low. I started having contractions, but the Terb took care of that. Ever since the baby is head down and there is so much low pressure and every movement feels like she is coming out of my nether parts. It hurts my bladder, cervix and rectum and my back just aches. Not to mention my breasts are leaking over time now too. I am now 29 weeks and so frustrated. I am so tired of sitting/lying here. I don't feel prepared for baby at all and I am tired of not having any independence. My newest fear is that I won't know when I am in actual early labor because I have been having all of the signs for 8 weeks already. Two of my friends had babies this week and their early labor stories are exactly what I have been experiencing. My doctor wants me to get to 36 weeks, but I don't know if I can lay around here for another 7 weeks in so much discomfort, physically and mentally. I want nothing more than a healthy baby, but it is hard to be patient. I am not a lazy person so not being able to clean, organize, prepare, cook, shop, walk or anything is so hard!

Anyway, that is my story. Thanks for reading!

Erica

• View Profile
Re: On bedrest at 29 weeks and going crazy...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM »
Britta: hang in there! I was only on bed rest for 12 days in the hospital but they were the longest, most frustrating, and crazy-making days of my life! Like you, I felt like I had no independence, no dignity, not even any "rest" in bed rest! The drugs they give (terbutalyne like you had, and they also gave me magnesium sulfate) are AWFUL! And every three hours I was examined. It was like, "OK, party in my hoo-ha: five o'clock! Everyone's invited! Come on in and have a look!" :) Needless to say, this was NOT what I had had in mind for my childbearing experience! After 12 days of contast contractions and hard labor, my son was born. He was 27 weeks gestation: but the night I went into laborat 25 weeks, my doctors didn't think my pregnancy would last another 24 hours, let alone almost two weeks, so it was a victory, in a way! BTW, he is now 5 years old, and doing great. Good luck and HANG in THERE! Every day is so rough, but every day you stay pregnant is a victory! 

Jazzany

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009 at 10:47 AM »
Hi Britta,

If anyone understands what you're going through its me.

I am 18 weeks pregnant and have been on bedrest for 2 months now, and will have to be until August when I'm scheduled to have a CSection.  This is my 8th pregnancy and will hopefully be my second living child.  All my pregnancies ended up in early miscarriages and so when in 2002 I got pregnant and made it beyond 12 weeks you can imagine the joy.  Unfortunately at 24weeks 4 days, I experienced something I never saw coming, premature rupture of membranes, I gave birth to a baby girl a week later, who died within 2 days. 

After that, I decided to try again and try bedrest.  I was on bedrest from Nov. 2002 until May 2003 when my daughter was born.  All that time was spent at hospital and my partner was far away pursuing his studies.  I know its no bed of roses, its hard, but all I focused on was the end result, the baby.  The thought of being able to hold that baby was encouraging enough for me, since at one point I thought I would never have a child. 

I decided to remain at home for bedrest this time around and hope I have made the right decision.  Lately I have noticed some spotting, visited the doctor twice since and she confirmed that everything is ok.  I am very concerned because I have a cervical suture and thought something might have gone wrong.

My advise to you is that if you're a believer of God, put things in his hands, ask him to help you through.  Reflect on positive things, read positive books, speak to positive people.  Don't make this about you, make the bedrest about the child, don't think about how long you've been lying there, think about the joy the child will bring to you.  At the end of the day, let us be grateful that we are in a position to have kids, because there are some women out who, no matter what, will never get pregnant and will never have children.  Our pregnancies require a lot of patience on our part, but at the end of the day, time flies and one day it will be your turn to have this baby and to regain your independence.

All the best

DFTLEE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009 at 01:21 PM »
Hi Britta,
I am with everyone else when I say, Hang in there!! Bed rest it the toughest thing, especially for independent, proactive women..

As for the discomfort, do what you can to get comfortable in bed. Have you considered the "U" pregnancy pillow?? It's this giant pillow that is horseshoe shaped. You can wrap it all around you and support those parts that are just aching. The baby stores here have them. I only used a body pillow when I was pregnant, but being able to rest my belly on a pillow and put that pillow between my knees really did a lot to relieve pressure on my lower back. Also, place pillows behind your back. The cushioning helps.

What type of support do you have? Do you have family nearby? Friends? Perhaps you could put together a list of the things that you really need done and when friends and family ask, they can each take a task.

I know that it seems like time is creeping ever so slowly, but hang in there and remember to be good to yourself.

GeekWife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009 at 04:12 PM »
Hi Britta!
I just want to say that while I don't have any advice for you, I totally know how you're feeling. I'm on my second week of bed rest myself due to preterm labor and irritable uterus. I'm also on a 2x a day Terb pill after three shots of the stuff on three separate visits and the stuff makes me really shaky. I still have 8 weeks left (six to make it to the 38 weeks my doc wants), and until next Monday whether or not I'll be on BR for the rest of my pregnancy. My husband set up a twin bed in our living room for me, which puts me in front of the HDTV and the video games, so that at least gives me something to do with my day, as well as my trusty laptop :)

I also know what you mean by the pressure down low... geezey pete! My little guy is breech and loves to stick his head out far up under my "girls", and I would swear sometimes a foot is just going to pop out! It's really uncomfortable to sit up or walk.

Anyway, great to meet you! We can support each other :)

Tori

Britta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009 at 07:23 PM »
Thank you all for the support! I have a wonderful family and many friends who have taken good care of me during this hard time. Thankfully I was taken off of bedrest this last week at 34 weeks (I am now 35 weeks), YAY  :D

Unfortunately now I am having gallbladder issues. We are trying to get me to delivery without having to do surgery and I will probably have to have my gallbladder out once I deliver. It's ok because at least I have my independence back, as much as I can while being huge and waddling everywhere! If I don't go into labor by myself by 38 weeks my doc will probably induce me depending on how my gallbladder is doing! Thankfully my body is making progress towards that end, but not too much too quickly. Last I was checked I was 70% effaced, 0 dilated and baby was at -1 station head down! During the latest ultrasound baby is measuring a good 5 1/2 lbs and looks really healthy. She is even practicing her breathing so I feel confident that she won't have too much trouble if she is born early!

I hope that the rest of you receive the same kind of love and support  that I have and that you all make it long enough to have healthy babies! Thank you again for your encouraging stories and advice! I really appreciate it!

Britta