Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: How to tell when your water breaks?  (Read 2526 times)

addisonclark

How to tell when your water breaks?
« on: April 23, 2009 at 06:34 PM »
I feel like this is a stupid question, but how do you know for sure? I got up to use the bathroom and felt like I didn't make it...i went through a pantyliner, my underwear and my pants. But it wasn't a gush just like a slow leak (like I was peeing.) I just don't know what to look for. I'm watching for contrax, And have had 2 BH in 15 mins, but I only know that because I felt it with my  hands, I don't feel it in my stomach at all. Thanks in advance!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: How to tell when your water breaks?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009 at 09:19 PM »
That's a great question!

One way to tell if the wet sensation you're feeling is urine or amniotic fluid is to take note of the smell. If you've ever changed a diaper, you know the smell of urine. The smell of amniotic fluid isn't quite so easy to detect. It may be sweet smelling, or odorless. If you aren't sure, consider the quantity and frequency.

A small trickle that doesn't stop is likely to be amniotic fluid and so is that big gush you see in movies. Occasional wetness is likely to be urine. If you have been having contractions and the contractions suddenly become more intense when you stand up or use the bathroom, that also can be a sign that your water has broken. Your doctor can do a simple test in the office to determine if any amniotic fluid is present and can also discuss with you any signs of preterm labor.

Here's what to tell your doc:
"I think I may be leaking amniotic fluid. I first noticed it ____ and it keeps going. Should I come in to have you check the pH or do a ferning test?"