Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 2.2cm cervical length at 19 week u/s  (Read 6686 times)

pinkpeony

• View Profile
2.2cm cervical length at 19 week u/s
« on: April 22, 2011 at 03:39 PM »
Hi everyone. I just joined this forum, after searching on the internet for others who had a short cervix and and have successfully delivered their babies.  I have read some sad/horror stories, and some happy ones, but the worst thing is the uncertainty: nobody knows how MY story will turn out to be.

I am due Sep 8, 2011 and I am 20 weeks now.  I had an anatomy scan last Friday (1 week ago), which showed that the baby was fine. My husband and I were so excited to see the baby girl on the screen, and we spent the whole weekend shopping around for a stroller, a car seat, etc. Just about when I was enjoying the pregnancy, I got a call 2 days ago from my Ob regarding the ultrasound. She said the baby was good but my cervical length was only 2.2cm, posing a risk for preterm labour. She sent a prescription for progeterone suppositories to a pharmacy and asked me to pick it up there. She said she would see me at my next appointment and arrange another ultrasound at that time. She didn't ask me to have a bed rest... but she said no heavy lifting, no jogging, no intercourse, etc. My next appointment is still 2.5 weeks away and I am afraid if I continue my daily routines, the condition may deteriorate quickly even before my appointment. 

I am tormented by the fact that the baby is perfrectly fine but due to my condition, I am putting my baby's life in danger. Because of this guilty feeling, I have been crying for 3 days now. Maybe my baby is detecting my emotions too. I haven't felt that many movements since the bad news, so I am trying to stay positive and keep singing and playing the guitar for her. At the same time, it is so hard to be optimistic as I am only 20 weeks now and my due date seems so far far away! I don't know what lies ahead of me and baby. If bedrest will save the baby then I would be more than glad to be strapped to the bed for the next 4 months. How does progesterone help my situation? I couldn't even ask the doctor over the phone because I was in shock.

lauraindenver

• View Profile
Re: 2.2cm cervical length at 19 week u/s
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011 at 06:14 PM »
Hi - Sorry to hear about your cervix - there are some great stories on here from women with similar issues, I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice and support.  There is an article on this forum's "News Wire" about progesterone suppositories - check it out for more details. I had to take them in the beginning of my pregnancy but my issue now is low amniotic fluid. I have heard others on here say that "gravity is the enemy" so I would probably rest as much as humanly possible until you get some more details from your doctor. You might want to call your doctor back with some additional questions - and ask her/him if modified bed rest is an appropriate therapy for you.

If you do end up on bed rest, we're all here to lay around with you!

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM »
I would rest as much as possible. LAY down, not sit. You're upper body is still verticle and gravity still pulls that baby down! Don't panic, everything will be fine. Just do what your doctor says and wait for your next appointment. I remember mine told me to take it easy at 25 weeks (no heavy lifting, etc. like yours) and to come back in a week to recheck and see about being put on bed rest. That week was agonizing! I was afraid to walk!! So I know how you feel. Drink a lot of water and lay down as much as you can :)
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011 at 03:01 PM »
Thank you so much both of you for the encouragement. I feel a lot calmer and happier now.
I had to get myself checked out at the hospital this morning because of the tight feelings around my abdomen that was coming and going. I was freaking out as I had been reading a lot about preterm labour contractions. The doctor said my cervix looks closed and thick, and the tightness is either Braxton Hicks or pressure on my bladder. He said I shouldn't be travelling though when I told him I was currently visiting my parents for the Easter weekend. I will try to lay down and rest as much as possible until I go back to my house tomorrow (only an hour drive, luckily).

LoransMommy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011 at 06:25 PM »
You may have been feeling the tightness because you haven't had enough water. That's what's sooooo annoying about all this. You have to drink sooooo much freaking water and then you have to pee constantly. I have this big 32 oz thing I fill and drink down 3-4 times a day and the doctor says 4-6 times is best, so even what I am drinking isn't enough. It's like my whole life revolves around drinking water and peeing all day long! And the funny thing is that I was already a big water drinker to begin with. I'm sick of it!!
If you feel the tightness again, drink a few glasses of water and then lay down on your left side. Also, make sure you pee too. I bet that will help. if it doesn't, call the dr!
Put on bed rest at 25 weeks on January 19th with cervix measuring 2.8.
Expecting our first - baby boy Loran Lee Morgan III on May 5th.
Getting induced at 39 weeks + 1 day on Wednesday, April 27th because of preeclampsia.

Lanespoli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011 at 06:37 PM »
I was put on strict bedrest at 25 weeks b/c my cervix went down to 1.6....  I am now 37.5 weeks and it doesn't look like she is coming any time soon!  I would definately talk to you doctor about bedrest, and lay horizontally as much as you possible can!  I didn't have progesterone suppositories, but they did give me the 17p progesterone injections once a week for 10 weeks.  I finished that at 35 weeks.

I was as scared as you were and saw/read so many good and bad stories.  For as hard as it was to do,  I am totally convinced that bedrest saved my baby and I highly recommend it :)....
Baby Gia, due May 10th....bedrest since 1/25/11 at 25 weeks, due to shortened cervix (1.6).
C-section scheduled for May 3rd, yea!!!

nadrobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011 at 08:41 PM »
You are not alone, and there are definitely things you can do to save your baby and you have a good chance to making it all the way! That's what my Dr told me- that normally a woman might have a 7% chance of having preterm birth, but with complications such as short cervix it does increase to about 30%, which is STILL 70% chance of going full term, that's how I try to think of it.
I also have a short cervix-at an u/s I had at 27 they noticed something weird and I had SUPER short cervix at like 2 cms and went down to 1cm with funneling if there was pressure. Then I went in for a fFn test and it came back positive. So my Dr put me on modified bed rest and I had to get the steroid shots for the baby in case it did come early. He said I wasn't a candidate for progesterone therapy since I was already 27 weeks along- but I think if you're less then that you might still be able to do it so ask soon! I've heard that some studies have shown that short cervix length MAY be a direct relationship to low progesterone.
I have been on bedrest for 2 weeks now and yes it's excruciating but in the long run I think will only be a blip in life that will hopefully include my daughter for a much longer amount of time in the long run :)
also if you're cervix is still closed that's a really good sign. Mine has started to dilate and my cervix has gotten a bit shorter still so I have to be even more careful now. As the other ladies said, lay down as much as possible and drink a lot of water and call your Dr clinic to talk to at least the nurse about the progesterone possibility. Hang in there!
Baby #2 EDD 7/6/11: on bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and +fFn
Baby #1 BD 9/1/08: natural uncomplicated term birth