Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: ...and it begins...  (Read 4200 times)

Mom2Z

• View Profile
...and it begins...
« on: May 05, 2011 at 10:51 AM »
I'm on day three of bedrest.  I have a son who was born at 31 weeks (probably polyhydraminous syndrome, but no concrete reason) and my daughter Corinne was born last year at 23 weeks due to IC.  She was born and passed on May 21.  It took a while for me to try again, but i'm old and I wanted one more shot at a sweet baby.  I had no delusions about a happy pregnancy...anyway, got pregnant in December and have been plugging along...found out it was twins at 8 weeks (seriously??), had a CVS with the possibility of reduction should there have been any issues (both are healthy, one boy one girl) and a cerclage at 14 weeks.  I'm now having weekly appts and although my cervix isn't as long as it should be and there's some funneling, My cervix has been stable for the past month.  I'm now working from home part time...and  bored.  My doc appt yesterday was so exciting  lol.  Working in the am helps the day go by, but I just want to snack all day....BORED!  Since I'm diabetic too I dont give in, but man...it's hard  lol. 

Anyway, hi and I'm happy to join you!  Thank you to Angela for helping me register!  I was having a terrible time!
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
Re: ...and it begins...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011 at 12:48 PM »
Mom2Z- Welcome! You know, the older we women get, the higher the chance of spontaneous twins. I have no history and wasn't even trying to get pregnant and BOOM! Twins here as well... Makes me feel really old!  ;)
I'm so sorry you've had such terrible past experiences, I know you are probably dreading discovering problems or are having flashbacks  :-\ (hopefully there won't be any!). So when's your official due date? I had to set little milestones, the first being, of course, viability. I was put on bedrest at 17 weeks for preterm labor & cervical shortening so it was a seemingly eternity before I reached a point where I could breathe a little sigh of relief.   :-[  But here I am now 31 weeks today!
Try to stay positive, I know the whole "twin" factor puts you at higher risk for preterm delivery, but what a blessing!  :D   
Home-time is boring, I agree. I've read so many books and watched a gazillion netflix movies to pass the time. Also, after 22 weeks I started online shopping for the nursery. That's been fun (expensive, but fun!). ;D
Speaking of snacking... I've gained 50+lbs so far due to the inactivity and constant stuffing of my face.  :P Not going to be fun getting all of this off! An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of treatment, right? Try to control those consumption urges and maybe you won't be in my shoes (or, my clothing-size, really) when you get through!!!  ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011 at 03:42 PM »
Hiya...I'm technically due 9/7...I hit 22 weeks yesterday (which was the exact day I was admitted last year with a bulging bag)...I was thankful to pass that milestone...the next is 23 weeks when Corinne was born and passed...then on to 24 weeks and happier milestones   :)  Twins is a blessing, but MAN OH MAN it's scary...twice the weight, twice the issues...
I've only gained 9 lbs so far, but that will be changing now that I'm on my butt!!
Janet
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
That's great you're 22 weeks already! With twins to boot!  :D I would set little milestones just as you're doing... make it to 23, than 24 weeks. Around 25 weeks I started Googling pictures of premies at that specific gestation, just to give me an idea of what their development would look like. That's upsetting to some folks so I wouldn't recommend it if you are hesitant in the least. I read/watched success stories as well which were encouraging to me.
50-55% of twin pregnancies deliver before 35 weeks, so the odds are slightly against us, but I'll be happy if I make it to 34 weeks! I've had to learn to not care about the weight at present. Twin pregnancies healthy weight gain is 40-56lbs, so I'm still (slightly) under that!  ;)
A great book for you would be "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads" by Dr Barbara Luke. It's one of the number one books in the nation on multiple pregnancies, I've read it already. It has so much wonderful information geared towards twins pregnancies, and bedrest especially. I highly recommend it! 
3 previous losses

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
Thanks...I just found that book available for my Kindle and bought it  :)
Janet

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011 at 04:04 AM »
Mom2z you never know how the weight gain will go. I'm going on 8-9 weeks of bedrest ( my second stint - I had 3 weeks of bedrest around week 12)  and I've gained only 10-11 lb in this pregnancy. And I'm 30.5 weeks now!
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 at 04:01 PM »
I've heard of bedrest weight gain, but what's wrong with me then?!  I'm eating snacks and food all day long and I haven't gained a pound yet.  I'm 16 weeks tomorrow.  I understand that you gain a lot more further along, but what's wrong with me?! AAAHHHHHH!!! :-\
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011 at 06:13 PM »
MommaToOlivia- First of all, yes- the weight gain comes later. Second of all, some of us (ahem) are more easily prone to gaining weight based on genetic makeup. I am the prime example. I usually eat around 1200-1400 calories a day and work out 2 hours a day, 3-4 days a week. I can "maintain" my weight around 150lbs with that routine. With my daughter, I got up to 230lbs, that was with walking 3 miles a day, 3-4 days a week until I was put on late bedrest (35-36 weeks). Put me on bedrest and I eat probably 2,000-2,400 calories a day now, no exercise, and I have gained 60 lbs am in week 34 with my twins. That's right... I'm already weighing 212lbs as of today. Boooooo!!!!

What I mean is this: If you are eating healthy, good meals and snacks, taking in at least 2,000+ calories a day- don't worry about it! You're giving your baby plenty of nutrition. The doctors are much bigger sticklers on the weight issue than they should be. As long as you're consuming an additional 300-600 calories a day (in addition to your norm for your body weight/type), than you should be ok. You may just have a fast metabolism.... <jealous!>  ;)
3 previous losses