Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: bloody mucous...and hospital visit  (Read 5367 times)

pinkpeony

• View Profile
bloody mucous...and hospital visit
« on: May 05, 2011 at 09:12 PM »
Hello everyone.
I just hit 22 weeks today! It's been 2 weeks since I first found out my cervical length was shorter than normal and was started on progesterone suppositories. I am celebrating each week that has passed with my baby inside.... I know I am still so far far way from my due date (Sep 8) but hey, I am half way there.

Any way, today I noticed a very small amount of bright red spotting on the bathroom tissue. I went back to the bathroom again to see if it continued, and this time, I found egg white like mucous with red blood streaks. I left work immediately and headed to the hospital. thinking I was losing the mucous plug. Luckily, the doctor said my cervix was closed and I wasn't having labour contractions (just tightening due to BH). I didn't get a transvaginal u/s scan but he looked "inside", did a digital exam, and also looked at the cervix from the pelvic u/s (from my abdomen). I was so relieved and left the hospital. But now,... I am wondering, can the cervix be "closed" and be missing the plug at the same time? Do you lose the plug only when the cervix is dialated? I may be just stressing myself out with all these worrying thoughts but I can't help it.

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: bloody mucous...and hospital visit
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011 at 09:44 AM »
Hi, Pink!
Good for you for getting checked out right away! Any bleeding or change in discharge can be a symptom of preterm labor, so you did the right thing.

The interesting thing about the mucus plug is that it can regenerate. So, you could have been losing some of it, but your body can make more. It's really pretty cool when you think about it, that your body creates this protective barrier. You may have spotting over the next day or two from the exam, but if you have an increase in bleeding or any globs of mucus, you'll want to get checked again. At that point your doc may want to do a transvaginal ultrasound to get the most accurate measurement of your cervix length and to see if it has changed since your last measurement. Also keep an eye out for any of these other symptoms of preterm labor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx

Glad everything worked out okay! Keep us posted!

Angela

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011 at 12:13 PM »
Hi, Pink!
Just wanted to check in to see how these last few day have been. Any more spotting or increase in discharge? Any new symptoms?

--Angela

Mommy_haley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011 at 09:48 AM »
Thanks, Angela. I'm glad to know that the mucous plug can regenerate.  I think i lost some of mine at 23 weeks and its been worrying me.  With all the water I'm drinking, I'm hoping mine is getting nice and PLUGGED again! Lol

Haley
On bed rest at 23 wks (4/26) w/a BOY! Dilated to 1 cm
Mommy to a 4 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son
Previous preterm labor with DD at 31 wks

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011 at 09:45 PM »
Hi Angela. Thanks for checking back.
I keep noticing some pink discharge (not bloody). I am now unsure if it's my imagination or the color is indeed pink.
I am just thinking that it could be caused by the progesterone suppositories, which might be irritating the cervix when I insert the tablet too high up. The suppositories didn't come with an instruction as to how deep the table is supposed to be placed, but I am trying not to insert it too high, in case it scrathes the cervix. I will ask my doctor on Wed how far up it's supposed to go to.

Going to be 23 weeks this Thursday. Yay! I am counting down every Thursday now.

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011 at 06:54 PM »
Hi everyone. It's me again.
I went to the doctor's appointment yesterday. It was the first appointment since the anatomy ultrasound (that's when they found my CL was 2.2cm) and I was a bit surprised by my doctor's "indifference" to my situation, considering all the worries I had been going through. First she asked me to get a follow-up ultrasound around the end of May (which is 6 weeks after my first 2.2cm measurement). I asked her if more frequent monitoring should be done, and her reply was no. I asked her if she would recommend bed rest, and again, her answer was no.
I want to believe that she's not overly concerned because I am indeed okay, but I am kind of wondering if I am really getting all the attention and care I require. Have I been stressing myself too much over it for nothing?

Whatever she says, I am not going to take any chance so I am still taking easy and trying to rest as much as possible. Hopefully my next ultrasound shows a good result.

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011 at 09:44 AM »
Hi, Pinkpeony!

I know it's frustrating when the doctor seems indifferent. I imagine they try to stick to "the evidence" rather than their emotions. I don't know if this helps, but my doctor said that for a cervix measuring above 1.5 cm between 20 and 24 weeks, they wouldn't recommend bedrest. So, I don't think your doctor is taking (or not taking) any actions beyond the norm, but I know you'd feel better if she seemed to be taking your concerns more seriously. I have read that the suppositories can irritate the cervix, because it is a very sensitive area during pregnancy and bleeding can occur. Of course, if anything changes, call your OB.

Now, as a mom who has been there and not a doctor, I think you're doing the right thing by taking it easy whenever you can and reporting any changes or symptoms as they occur. The progesterone supplements really do work wonders, so I think you can feel confident that you're getting the care you need. You may even discover at your next ultrasound that your cervix has lengthened. Until then, I think you can take a deep breath and relax.  :D

Angela

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011 at 11:22 PM »
pinkpeony- I've seen both indifference and over-reacting. My personal experience this time was probably over-reacting. I've had to drop work, drop out of graduate school, and put my entire life on hold because my doc panicked at my cervical length shortening. It has since fluctuated as high as 4cm and as low as 2.6cm while I've been on bedrest for 4 months. I understand perfectly well what you are saying in that you'd rather err on the sight of caution. I thought my doctors were over-reacting but I would have felt terrible had I not listened and something had happened to my precious little lives I'm carrying. I've actually read several scholarly articles (while I've been on bedrest) which say bedrest doesn't help prevent preterm delivery. Does that mean we don't adhere to it? No! But there is conflicting evidence out there regarding it, and the standard of care doesn't necessarily indicate it in every situation.
A good resource to follow is ACOG- American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecology. This is the authoritative body over OBGYNs and it guides their practice. Here is their web address:
http://www.acog.org/index.cfm
You should be able to find resources on this sight which help you decide if your physician is following protocols.

I agree with Angela in that as a mother, you must do what you feel is best for your baby, even if it is "overly" cautious. You will spend the rest of your life being a little overly cautious with your child, it's part of what makes you a good parent.

Progesterone suppositories can irritate the cervix as Angela said, and can cause some light pink discharge. During pregnancy the cervix becomes very vascular and is easily irritated. That's why intercourse often can make people spot as well. If you think there is any possibility you are "imagining" the pink hue to the discharge, that tells me it is very mild and not concerning. The big thing to watch is frank bleeding or bright red bleeding, enough to have to wear a pad. Of course, any bleeding should be reported, but what I described is more dangerous. What you've described sounds normal.

Relax and listen to your body, take it easy and enjoy the pregnancy. So far there's nothing you've said which indicates a reason to panic. Progesterone is a wonderful hormone/drug and it sounds like they are taking good precaution by starting you on it. They only checked my cervical length monthly for awhile, now it's every 2 weeks, so their timing for you sounds pretty normal.

Take care and hang in there. ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!