Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Modified Bed rest at 29 weeks+5  (Read 3085 times)

Fields of gold

• View Profile
Modified Bed rest at 29 weeks+5
« on: May 06, 2011 at 08:23 AM »
I just got home after 15 days at the hospital, I have a kidney transplant and went into rejection, have had a nephrostomy tube put in for hydrophoresis in the transplanted kidney and also had an infection in the kidney as well. But, I am home now and am trying to figure out just what modified bed rest is. I am allowed to drive and I have to go places as I have a ton of dr's appointments. The plan is that my little girl will be pre-term, but the hope is to keep her in as long as possible as she is still very tiny. I love in a very rural area quite far away from my work and friends so it is likely that I won't have a lot of visitors. I also know that I am lucky that I am this far along before being put on modified bed rest. I was off for 3 months in 2008, but this time there will be a little baby at the end of it so I intend to take is way more seriously.

Trackmonkey

• View Profile
Re: Modified Bed rest at 29 weeks+5
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011 at 10:22 PM »
Hang in there. :) So glad you are almost at 30 weeks and pray for more time for your little one. You must be one strong woman to go through all of that and be so positive about things. :) It's amazing what mommies can do when they set their mind to it. Sounds like the bed rest could be complicated with the doctor's appointments, but I'd say just do only what you need to do and try to combine trips while at home or in town. That way you're not up as much and can still rest a little. I had to keep reminding myself when I got up to go to the bathroom to refill my water or grab something to eat in the same trip, so I wasn't getting up as often. It does take practice though.
Due Date: 8/4/11
Cerclage placed at 18 weeks.
Bedrest at home weeks 18-20 and 22-24.
Bedrest at the hospital at 24 weeks.
One live birth at 22 weeks. Our precious Angel baby, Kylee Amanda.
One miscarriage at 7 weeks.
We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. Phillipians 4:13

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011 at 04:02 AM »
Your story is quite amazing!! Congrats on hanging on through all of that. Since you're close to 30 weeks, the end is in sight. Every day that you spend off your feet gives your baby a slightly better chance.

As for modified bed rest - it's cool that you can drive. My doctor has me off of driving :( In a nutshell, your'e allowed to shower daily. You shouldn't stand for more than 15 minutes at a time. You can get up to get food, but should avoid it if you can. The rest of your time needs to be spent in bed or on a couch in a reclined position. Iv'e been doing ok climbing stairs, so once a day I go downstairs and then in the evening I come back up to sleep in my bed. Other than that - all's pretty much manageable. Just listen to your body. Don't push it and let others do things for you.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011 at 08:57 AM by flowerchica »
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011 at 10:16 PM »
I am just curious... if you are not allowed to drive, how do you get to your doctor's office? Is driving considered different from sitting in the passenger seat? The reason I ask is that I have not been put on bed rest by my doctor but I am trying to cut down on my physcial activies if possible. As our house is under a huge renovation right now, I escape to my parents' place every weekend, but their place one hour drive away from my place. I am wondering if I should continue to drive myself or start asking my husband to drive me there.

Bug

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM »
Pink Peony: Before I was admitted into the hospital I had dr apts twice a week and I also couldn't drive myself. I would have a friend drive me and I would recline the passenger seat all the way back so I was laying down. I also needed to be in a wheelchair at appts so my friends could push me up to the office. The one time I left my house to go to my in-laws (about 45 min drive) my sweet husband made a bed for me in the back of the van. Getting rides was a pain and I hated asking people, but most people are wanting to help and most don't know how to do it or what you need. This is all temporary, but it's so worth it to take all necessary precautions.They say it takes a village to raise a child, but as a bed rest mommy I realize that it's taking a village just to get her here!
EDD 7/14
Bed rest since 3/1 (20 wks 5 d)
Cerclage 3/2 due to premature dilation (2+) and effacement