Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Great appointment yesterday!  (Read 4149 times)

Couchdiva

• View Profile
Great appointment yesterday!
« on: May 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM »
Hi ladies, I was so excited to come home from the doctor yesterday.  I always have a feeling of dread every time I go in there now because I always think it's going to be bad news.  I figured you have all been through it too.

I went in for my 2 week appointment - vaginal u/s to check my cervix.  I had a measurement of 1.4 before my cerclage.  Once the cerclage was placed and had my follow up it measured at 2.2.  Well yesterday I had a measurement of 2.98 which is AWESOME for me!  I will take whatever I can get at this point - I"m only 26 w 3 days today.  Also my little guy measured at 28 weeks.  I grow my kids large so this wasn't a shock at all.  At this point - I'm happy he's measuring large!  I have c-sections with my kids so he can keep growing!!  :)  Then I also had my glucose test - which I was just skeptical about due to everything else going wrong lately - and I passed!  Yeah!  So I continue bedrest.  My OB did clear me to go to my daughter's end of year preschool program next Tues as long as I'm feeling good and not having any issues!  I'm extremely happy about that since I would be at home crying the whole time they were there if I wasn't able to join them.  My hubby took me out for lunch - which just ended up to be Arby's drive thru - and then I topped that off with a cooler from Caribou Coffee.  Oink!  :)  I know things can change at any moment with cervical measurements, but I'll take a good reading this week and let it get me to my next appointment in two weeks. 

I do have a question though about preterm labor.  The last two nights I woke up with my little guy kicking me in the middle of the night.  Also, I had some minor aches in my abdomen and lower back.  I'm assuming this is probably preterm labor.  It went away and I was able to go back to sleep later on.  My OB wasn't really clear with me if it was labor or not.  I've been tossing and turning lately quite a bit (who hasn't).  Part of me thinks it's our bed and just discomfort.  He wasn't worried about it and I'm not either, but I just wouldn't know when to go to the hospital with these minor aches.  I guess if they keep going for too long?  I feel dumb about all this since it's my 3rd kid, but the other two were textbook easy pregnancies.  We joke that it's cause this time around I'm having a boy!  :) 

Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

mckoygirl

• View Profile
Re: Great appointment yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011 at 03:05 PM »
Irregular, braxton hicks contractions are normal in certain parts of the pregnancy, but they are mild, inconsistent, and aren't usually painful. The contractions aren't considered "labor" until your cervix begins to change.
The minor "aches" you described could be contractions, but it depends a lot on the characteristics of them. Contractions are described as the baby "balling up" or a "tightening" of your abdomen which lasts 50-90 seconds and can be accompanied by cramping or lower abdominal/lower back pain or pressure. Contractions are climactic, which means they start of really mild, then build & build until they reach a peak/climax, then gradually subside. Any sharp, shooting, or one sided pains are generally ligament pains and benign.

If you start to have contractions as described which are regular, lasting 50-90 seconds a piece, (usually most physicians say to time them & if they are every 10 minutes or less for 2 hours), call your OB. Of course if you have leaking of fluid, bleeding, or baby isn't moving, then you need to call as well. As always, call your OB if you are worried or uncertain. They really don't mind. They'd rather you call them in the middle of the night then ignore symptoms or go to L&D unwarranted.

Personal story: There are certain parts of the pregnancy where contractions occur because of baby growth spurts or dehydration, or just the uterus complaining. How do you know when it's time??  ??? Sometimes you don't. Last night I began contracting at 6pm, they were every 8-10 minutes for the first hour or two, then they gradually increased to every 4-6 minutes until 12am this morning. 6 hours of contractions. The reason I didn't go in was because they never increased in intensity, even though the timing was steady & more frequent. I got a hot bath, took some Tylenol, and laid on my side to try to help them. I watched the clock & paid close attention to the intensity and timing. Now, that being said... I am 33 weeks pregnant, and I am also a labor & delivery nurse. Not that I know magically when it will be time, I just know that labor generally gets harder & harder, and the timing of the contractions most usually are consistent. My contractions never became painful, and were just a lot of pressure. I don't recommend everyone waiting like that... and I was borderline in calling my physician several times. If that were you, I would recommend calling your OB after the first hour or two. Thankfully for me, my contractions subsided and I was able to sleep with just a few, mild-ones waking me up. Could I have been wrong? Absolutely, but something would have had to change.

Since you are at a higher risk, think nothing of calling your OB to ask questions. That's why they have beepers and after-hours call centers.  ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Mommy_haley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011 at 07:37 PM »
McCoy girl, you are awesome!  What are we going to do when you have those babies?!  It's kinda nice to have an LandD nurse on here!

Sounds like you had a rough night, and that maybe it won't be much longer for you...  Those pool trips are taking a toll!  Hehehe. Just kidding!  If it was warm enough here, I'd totally be in there too!   
On bed rest at 23 wks (4/26) w/a BOY! Dilated to 1 cm
Mommy to a 4 yr old daughter and 3 yr old son
Previous preterm labor with DD at 31 wks

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011 at 08:45 PM »
Mommy_haley-Awwww, thanks. I enjoy feeling like I'm helping in some small way.  :) I miss my patients! I haven't gotten to go to the pool for a week and can't wait until it warms up a little so we can go! It's the only place I feel semi-myself (and weightless!).
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!