Author Topic: Cerclage removal/funneling to stitch/labor  (Read 41688 times)

nkbapbt

• View Profile
    • Life by a Stitch
Cerclage removal/funneling to stitch/labor
« on: May 18, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
Hi ladies,

I wasn't sure where else to put this topic, so I hope this is ok....I am curious how many (if any) of you had your stitch out when you were funneled to the stitch and ended up going into labor shortly there after? I don't mean hours or anything, though I know it can happen...I mean within a few days or a week or so?

I am currently funneled all the way to the stitch, it's been said by the ultrasound techs and my doctor the only thing holding baby in is the stitch basically. I am currently 31.5 weeks and have been contracting for weeks. But my cervix is still closed, and holding at about 1.8cm. Not terrible.

We just had the date set yesterday for the stitch removal on June 27th and my doctor is doing it in hospital. Likely under a spinal (though I might need to be put right under as all my spinals have failed in the past....resulting in massive spinal pain and headaches).

I am just curious if we should be planning on the idea of baby coming then...or around then or what....

Thanks!  :)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Cerclage removal/funneling to stitch/labor
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM »
Hello!
I haven't had experience with cerclage, so I posted your question of Facebook and Twitter to get some responses for you. Here's what a few moms on Facebook had to say:

Tina said:
I had my stitch taken out at 36 weeks but didn't have Sara until exactly 39 weeks via c-section. She wouldn't come out even with induction. LOL All that time trying to keep her in and in the end she didnt wanna come out. My stubborn little girl came when she wanted to. Most women either go into labor right after the cerclage is taken out or they go to the end and a lot of them I noticed have to be induced cause the little bugger doesn't wanna come out.

Jessica said:
There have been VERY VERY few women I know who delivered after cerclage removal.... when I had 1 of my 4 removed @ 35 wks 3 days I dialted to 4cm instantly and went straight to L&D BUT after a few hours and no contractions they checked and I was still at 4 so they sent me home. I stayed 4cm dialted for 4 weeks....... delivered @ 39 weeks 3 days! The Dr concluded that I likely would have been dialted to 4CM long before that had the cerclage not been in place.

nkbapbt

• View Profile
    • Life by a Stitch
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011 at 04:46 PM »
Thank you very much!

I am curious do you know if these ladies were already funneled to their stitch?? I have read lots about ladies having it removed and then nothing, but none were funneled yet. Its proving a tough question to get answers too!

I am hoping baby will stay put, but I also want to prepare myself as well!

Thank you again for putting this out on Twitter and Facebook!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011 at 06:20 AM »
nkbapbt- In my 8 years as a practicing l&d nurse, I've never once had a woman go into labor after cerclage removal, even when they are funneled. That doesn't mean it can't happen because my unit only delivers about 120 babies or so a month, but hope it helps you to know that. Spotting afterward can be common, along with some mild vaginal/lower abdominal cramping. The biggest thing about you being "funneled" is the possibility of your water breaking. I can't tell you how long the average woman with cerclage removal takes to deliver either. Most women come in spontaneously (instead of being induced), but I've never taken a poll to know exactly when they deliver versus when the cerclage was removed. Wouldn't it be great if we could predict such things?!  :-\

Some of our physicians don't even send the women to be monitored after cerclage removal. They just get it removed & go home. I'd be prepared just in case (bags packed & in car along with baby carseat), and understand it probably won't happen. It's not a bad idea to have your bags packed & carseat in car anyway. We just did all that last week on my end.

Sorry about your spinals.... that stinks!  :(

Good luck & let us know how it goes!  ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM »
Hi, again!
A few more mamas on Facebook replied to your question.

Lynette said:
 Mine was removed on a Monday morning, week 37... nothing happened till Saturday morning when my waterbag burst (after a lot of activities!). That evening, I was still 2 cm (I was 2 cm at 23 weeks when the cerclage was placed). I was given induction after induction, lots and lots of contractions (and PAIN!!!), finally dilated till 7cm at 3am Sunday and was told to start pushing. My son was vacuumed and safely delivered at 3.48am. It seems cerclage sometimes causes our cervix to become rigid thus unable to dilate naturally.

Jenna said:
 Both of mine were right away, but I have found this is very abnormal.

Angela

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011 at 09:54 AM »
And a few more replies:

Lindsey said:
 My water broke 12 hours after I had my cerclage removed, and I had my son 8 hours later!

Angela Kate said:
 I had my cerclage removed at 36 weeks. My little girl wasn't born until 40 weeks and that was only because I was induced!

wannabeamom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011 at 07:54 PM »
I have the SAME exact situation. I am 34 weeks pregnant, funneling to the stitch (doctor said the stitch is the only thing holding my baby in), and I have my cerclage removal June 28th.
My doctor told me that he thinks the labor won't be far off from the cerclage removal, but there's always a chance that my cervix could not dilate properly due to scar tissue. This is my first birth and first cerclage, but from everything I read.. it can happen fairly quickly (within 24 hours), or you can hold the baby for weeks.

My neighbor funneled to the stitch, and had her baby a week after the cerclage removal.

I guess all we can do is wait and see!

Alicia

• View Profile
    • Baby and Toddler Food
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011 at 06:32 PM »
mmm. my stith was taken out on Fri (now MOn) and nothing!
I'm 37 weeks, 1.7 cm and funnelled since 21 weeks and flattened (which I assume was my cervix attempting to dilate) from about 27 weeks.
Been on strict  bedrest rest for about 15weeks.
Trying to be VEry active now! to help baby and vent my weeks in bed out of me!

Last pregnancy was funelled to 9mm at 20 weeks, had emergency stitch and 8 weeks strict bedrest in hospital.
Modified rest at home and waters broke at 34+5weeks.
Stitch taken out - really fast! and i was 4cm. Baby born 3 hours later.
thought that would happen this time too, but no!

Bed Rest number 2 under way!
Jet - Still bith at 20 weeks
Sakura - Emergency stitch at 20 weeks for 9mm cervix with bedrest till 34 weeks when she was born
'Cisco'-  Stitch at 15 weeks and bedrest at 21 weeks with 1.7cm cervix. Finger crossed!
http://babyandtoddlerfoods.blogspot.com