Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: how long were you/will you be on bedrest?  (Read 11053 times)

sarlusan

• View Profile
how long were you/will you be on bedrest?
« on: May 25, 2011 at 10:45 PM »
Just curious what everyone's drs. have to say about how long to stay on bedrest. 

In my second pregnancy (after my first pg ended unexpectedly at 32 weeks), the doctors told me I could get up at 34 weeks, so I did, and my son was born that night.

In my third pregnancy, they told me to get up at 36 weeks, I fully expected to deliver right away, and he wasn't born until 38 weeks.

Right now in my fourth pregnancy, I'm 30 weeks, seeing different doctors (actually midwives this time), and I haven't asked them yet but I'm starting to dream about the end of June... beginning of July... what do you all (or your drs) think?  34 weeks? 35? 36? 37? 

lilcapmom

• View Profile
Re: how long were you/will you be on bedrest?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011 at 11:03 PM »
I'm on bed rest for a short cervix. I had the same problem with my last pregnancy. I've been told by the time I hit 35 weeks they will let me up. 
I'm 26 weeks 3 days now, so feel like it's still a ways off.

momofbabyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011 at 08:41 AM »
I've been on bedrest for a short cervix (w/ cerclage) for 8 weeks & I'm 30 weeks tomorrow! I asked my MFM doctors about when I would be able to "go off" bedrest and they said at 36 weeks, if I make it there. My regular OB has mentioned lightening up on some restrictions before that time, but hasn't mentioned a specific week. I do know that my OB won't stop labor after it starts once I reach 34 weeks.

During my first pregnancy, I was dilated to 1cm and 75% effaced at 32 weeks. My OB told me to do bedrest until 34 weeks and then lifted restrictions. My baby wasn't born until 37.5 weeks, he's now 19 months.

due 8/1 - a girl
Mom to Blue, born 10/7/09 @ 37 weeks
Bedrest @ 22 weeks due to short cervix

threacatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011 at 01:42 PM »
I've been on bedrest since 11 weeks, due to a shortened cervix and losing one of the twins. My doctor said that if I make it to 36 weeks I can go off bedrest. She doesn't think I'm going to make it past 32 weeks. I am at 30 weeks tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

kristinenicolle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011 at 03:11 PM »
i had a cerclage placed at 13 weeks since my cervix was already softening & opening & my history of an incompetent cervix. ive been on bed rest since then, am currently 34 weeks & have 3 weeks until my stitch is taken out & restrictions are lifted :) almost there!!!
Bed rest since 12/31/10 - cerclage placed (13 weeks)
2 angel babies: Baby Sean Anthony born on 05/25/09 (20 weeks) & Baby Nicholas James born on 05/16/10 (18 weeks)
Due on 7/3/11 to a baby girl: Madelyn Leann

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011 at 03:32 PM »
short cervix and lots of history of preterm labor here...got a cerclage at 14 weeks and have been on rest since 22 weeks..I'm 25 now...I havent been told I'll be getting up anytime soon, but were just taking things day by day
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011 at 03:37 PM »
I've been on bedrest since 5.5 weeks, I'm 16 weeks tomorrow.  And because of a previous c-section with a 26-weeker, my doc is delivering me at 35 weeks...  It's been really hard, but I try to remind myself that every day is a gift with this little one.  But... it sucks to be stuck at home and feeling lonely.  One day at a time... and 19 weeks to go.   :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 at 03:40 PM by MommaToOlivia »
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011 at 06:17 PM »
At 32 weeks my doc started letting me have a short outing a week. I'm 34 weeks today (twins) and they basically told me today I can do whatever I feel like. They want me to make it to 35 weeks, so I'm taking it kind of slowly, but I am up just as much as I'm laying down now.
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

ReeMichele

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011 at 08:57 PM »
I've been on bedrest twice in this pregnancy, actually...  From 6 weeks to 16 weeks because of unexplained, horrible bleeding.  Then from 17 weeks to 22 weeks I was up and about, til pre-term labor symptoms happened and they discovered my shortened cervix.  I've been back on bedrest since then, and I'm now 34 weeks 3 days.

So total, I've been on bedrest for 22 weeks and a few days.  My perinatologist told me I can "resume normal activities' in my 37th week.  No one expects me to make it to 37 weeks, though.

Of course, they didn't expect me to make it to 24 weeks...or 26 weeks...or 28 weeks...or 30 weeks...  so we'll just see about THAT! :)

nadrobertson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011 at 09:53 PM »
I started bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and positive fFn test. At 29 weeks i dilated to 2.5 cm and was in hospital for 2 nights. i am now 34 weeks (yay!) and have been 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced for 2 weeks. but my doctor said this week at 34 weeks i can do whatever depending on how i feel and if labor comes now, they wouldn't stop it. crazy to think! so i'm taking it easy cause i don't want her to come just yet! just doing one outing a day (which makes  me sooo tired!) and starting to be up and around a bit more. i'll go back to work next week at 35 weeks (my compromise with him) and we'll see what happens!
Baby #2 EDD 7/6/11: on bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and +fFn
Baby #1 BD 9/1/08: natural uncomplicated term birth

sarlusan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011 at 12:10 AM »
Wow, some of you have been on bedrest for SO LONG!!  I'm approaching six total months of bedrest... but that's spread out over three pregnancies!  Some of you have done six months in ONE pregnancy!  I'm in awe!

As my two year old said to me today - "I'm proud of you, Mom!"  I have no idea why he said that or if he knew what it meant, but I'll take it!  Proud of all of you, too!  Thanks for sharing!

Alicia

• View Profile
    • Baby and Toddler Food
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011 at 02:05 AM »
My doc (Australia) said I can run down the street for all he cares after 34 weeks. I just have to get that far. Only 49 days to go!
Bed Rest number 2 under way!
Jet - Still bith at 20 weeks
Sakura - Emergency stitch at 20 weeks for 9mm cervix with bedrest till 34 weeks when she was born
'Cisco'-  Stitch at 15 weeks and bedrest at 21 weeks with 1.7cm cervix. Finger crossed!
http://babyandtoddlerfoods.blogspot.com

flavah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011 at 01:01 PM »
Been stuck on bed rest since May 12 when I was 14 weeks, I am now almost 18 weeks along and still stuck in bed.  can only get up to use washroom and very quick shower and brush teeth.  Not sure how long I'll be stuck here, meeting with high risk OB next week after my u/s to go over results.

I have 2 placenta previas (twin pregnancy) and a short cervix (2.5cm) bleeding on and off keep going back to get checked at hospital.

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011 at 08:10 AM »
I was told to expect to be on bedrest for about 15 weeks... from week 20 to 36. I've pretty much been on bed rest since week 20 and I'm 34.5 weeks right now!
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!