Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: New Bedrest Complication: pneumonia  (Read 4239 times)

tully333

• View Profile
New Bedrest Complication: pneumonia
« on: May 26, 2011 at 02:03 AM »
I can't beleive it but I have aspiration pneumonia. A nurse I hasn't met before put me in such severe trendelenburg position for so long this week that I got reflux acid in my esophagus and it got inhaled into my lungs. Within a few hours I had trouble breathing and it felt like I has a lot of pressure on my lungs. I asked her whT to do about the heaviness in my lungs and she told me to breath deeper.
Anyway, the next morning I could hear gurgling in my throat when I reached out- she said she didn't hear anything- so a couple hours later I asked to listen again while I was lying on my side and she finally called the doctor. A X ray shows fluid in both lungs and everyone got concerned. Blood tests showed high white blood cells and high heart enzymes. An ectocardiogram ruled out weak heart leaking into lungs.
 so antibiotics IV since Last night-  I cam finally breath again and the huge weight on my lungs feels lighter. It was scary and I had to sit up yesterday so help the fluid drain and me breath. Another reminds that I know my body really well amdnwhennsomething doesn't feel right something isn't right. I will not let a nurse put men in that position- such a severe position again. Having to air up an entire day to drain my lungs certainly didn't help my cervix.   Anyway, just frustrating, but my doc said it will not complicate the pregnancy and will not hurt the babies, so I thrilled for that. Yesterday I was prepared to have them out if it meant a better change for them and being able to drain my lungs.
   Glad scare is over- listen to your intuition and be forcefull!!!
Cerclage 3/6/11, bedrest at home since 3/4/11 at home. Bedrest in hospital since 4/12/11 @ 21 weeks
1st 2 babies- boy girl twins

nadrobertson

• View Profile
Re: New Bedrest Complication: pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 at 09:59 PM »
That's crazy! i can't believe they didn't think about that! i hope you feel better soon and glad the babies are not affected.
Baby #2 EDD 7/6/11: on bedrest at 27 weeks for short cervix and +fFn
Baby #1 BD 9/1/08: natural uncomplicated term birth

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011 at 11:06 PM »
wow... i have been put in the same bed position as well.... but for me it has been only 2 days. I was eating yesterday with my head lower and the food ran back up my esophagus. I then asked the nurse if I could get tilted up while eating, and she said yes.... so I started eating sitting up slightly but quckily lowered the upper body when I finished eating.

I will keep your story in my mind and will be cautious too. Thank you for sharing.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM »
tully333- Wow... I can honestly say I've never seen that but it makes sense that it can happen, physiologically speaking. In our hospital (since we're a level "2" NICU), we never keep someone in trendelenburg very long because they either deliver or get shipped out for long-term care in a level "3" facility. That's good to know though. Hopefully they will find a good compromise and allow you to sit up more. Won't even have a chance at a healthy baby if Mommy is that sick!!!!  :(
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

tully333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011 at 01:08 PM »
No one here had seen it happen either. I'm Just lucky I guess. I'm feeling much better by the way. 4 days into IV antibiotics and sitting partially up to eat of course. I had to spend the first day mostly up to help drain the lungs which it seemed to. do well I really didnt want to but the pulmonary doc helped me see that futility of everything I was going through if I got worse .Luckily ( relatively speaking) I had too much amnio fluid anyway and was taking someone to help lower it so there was no worry that the antibiotic would neg affect the amnio level. One day into the Antibiotic and I could breath again and the heaviness in my chest lifted. ( I kept asking iif a baby could have cracked a rib 'cause that is what it felt like.
 The most important lesson I learned is about communication and trusting your intuition about your body- especially since this is really rare-I had to articulate carefully and repeat what was happening a few times to have them do the chest X ray.   ( Im not criticizing them- I understand how unusual it is- but I'm glad I kept mentioning it- apparently my X ray looked very bad). I will have another one n a couple of days to insure my progress
Cerclage 3/6/11, bedrest at home since 3/4/11 at home. Bedrest in hospital since 4/12/11 @ 21 weeks
1st 2 babies- boy girl twins