Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: hospitalized after cervix checkup  (Read 2957 times)

pinkpeony

• View Profile
hospitalized after cervix checkup
« on: May 26, 2011 at 02:12 AM »
I have made it to 24 weeks and a few days without major problems except short cervix and i have been very hopeful past few days.
Wed am, I went for a follow up U/S for cervical length and the lab sent me to L&D after the scan. CL was 1.8cm which i was quite content with (little change since 2.2 cm on April 15
), so i wasnt sure why i was being sent to L&D. My ob happened to be at the hospital today for an operation so she examined my cervix again in L&D. She said it was 1-2 cm open... i was devastated. She ordered steroid shots but no ffn test... i was monitored for contrxn all day but very very few intermittent ones showed. They want to transfer me to another hospital with nicu but right now there is no bed available in there so i am staying in this hospital for now. The docs and nurses have spoken to me as if premature labour is impending... this is really upsetting because althogh i know i have short cervix i dont have cramps or contrxns. i guess it is because my cervix is open...? I am on strict bed rest with lower body raised and with no bathroom visit. I want to drink lots of water but am afraid because i need to use the bedpan. I guess i will get used to using it soon.

i cannot fall asleep...it is past 2 am...i am using a smart phone to type all this so even if you find typos, please bear with me. It is my husband's phone and i am not used to tying on this tiny thing...

My first goal is 28 weeks, which is mid June. Hope my baby girl stays put until then.

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
Re: hospitalized after cervix checkup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011 at 07:33 AM »
Hey Pinkpeony - sorry about being hospitalized. Although it's scary - the good thing is that you are at 24 weeks and you've passed the point of viability. Your next task is helping your baby get big enough to be born without medical complications. An open cervix at 24 weeks is dangerous - but I've read plenty of stories of women who've gone for months in the hospital and delivered healthy babies. You'll have to learn to embrace the bedpan. Don't worry about peeing... my challenge in hospital was taking a #2 in the bed pan. I felt like a little goat- because I could only get out pellets!

The nurses are just trying to make sure you're aware of what's coming. The worst thing you can do is go in and think - it's going to be ok - when there's a good chance that it won't. You have to be optimistic while always keeping a realistic picture of what the risks are. You can definitely make it to the finish line and have your baby. It will be good for them to transfer you to a hospital with a NICU. If possible... it would be even better if they have a level III NICU.

In my first pregnancy - I dilated to 4 cm with not a single cramp!! Don't trust how you "feel" to convince you that things are ok. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. 28 is an awesome milestone - it's when you pass the micro preemie zone. Then you'll be on to exciting ones like 30 weeks and 32 weeks where survival rates skyrocket! Just keep your legs in the air and your spirits high - you'll get through this :)
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

pinkpeony

• View Profile
Re: hospitalized after cervix checkup
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011 at 10:44 PM »
Today was just an emotional roller coaster.
Early today I got a good news that a hospital with level 3 NICU was going to admit me. I was transported by ambulance here, and as soon I got here I received the 2nd dose of steroid.

Then a doctor came in to do a digital exam and said not only my cervix was open, it was 3-4cm open with bulging membrane!! I was stunned. Just 24 hours ago, it was just open 1-2cm but after a full day of complete bed rest, the membrane was now bulging??? I cried so much after hearing that. The doc ordered me an U/S to confirm and the U/S found no bulging membrane and though the cervix was funnelling, there was still some cervix left, giving a possibility of an emergency cerclage. The baby's biometrics looked all normal at her gestational age. We were delighted by the ultrasound result. However the doctors decided that cerclage was not an option for me as there is too little tissue left and stitches might do more damage than good. They are just waiting out and see what happens next. I was now starting to worry again, whether that meant there was nothing else we could try except just watch...

Luckily, the contraction monitor did not pick up any labour contractions. I didn't even get BH contractions all that often. No cramping, no contraction, but just dialated cervix. What is the deal with that?? The doc said I didn't even need to on the contraction monitor any longer.

Any way I am still on hospital bed rest indefinitely, but now with a bathroom priviledge - which I am interpreting as a good indication. Yesterday I was tilted upside down and had to rely on the bedpan....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011 at 11:09 PM by pinkpeony »