Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: heparin shots while on hospital bed rest  (Read 5839 times)

pinkpeony

• View Profile
heparin shots while on hospital bed rest
« on: May 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM »
Hi everyone.
Today's my 4th day on hospital bed rest. Starting 2 days ago, I have been getting 2 shots of heparin each day to prevent blood clots from forming because I am restricted to bed. I get these injections on my tummy and the shots really sting (not as much as the steroid shots but....still) For those of you who are on hospital bed rest, are you also receiving any anticoagulant? I am going to ask the doctor tomorrow whether these injections are really necessary since I am allowed to walk to the bathroom and it is not like I am completely confined to bed. My belly is already very sore on both sides because of the total six shots I have gotten so far - soon I will run out of space for more injections.

ReeMichele

• View Profile
Re: heparin shots while on hospital bed rest
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011 at 01:37 AM »
I was on hospital bed rest for a total of 3 weeks with limited movement privileges... I could get up for restroom and for a shower but that was it.  I didn't have any anti-coagulant shots.

If you have a history of blood clots, I suppose that could be a reason for it.  Of course your doctor would be the best one to talk to, as there may be underlying reasons that he/she didn't explain to you fully.

sarahker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011 at 08:37 AM »
Hi - I've been on hospital bedrest for the past 3 weeks (I'm 27w3d w/twins) and no Heparin shots for me either.  I do have to wear these annoying inflatable "boots" that inflate intermittently to keep the circulation going in my lower legs.  I don't really understand the point since I get up to go to the bathroom every 45 minutes or so. 

Good luck with the hospital bedrest - did your doctor mention whether you would be released at some point?  Mine has said if we make it to 30 weeks with no further complications (have 1.7 CL with occasional contractions) he'll think about sending me home - just wondering what other people's physicians have said regarding bedrest... I would love to go home at some point before these babies are born. 

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011 at 09:41 AM »
I don't have a medical history of having blood clots... and my BP has actually been on the lower side, before and during this pregnancy.
I am going to ask the doctors today when they make their morning rounds.

sarahker : my ob told me to stay in this hospital at least until 32nd week (my ob is not at this hospital but she transferred me here because of level 3 nicu). The docs at this hospital also told me that my expected discharge date is 32nd week, so it looks like all the docs want to keep me in hospital bed at least for the next 6-7 weeks.

tully333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011 at 07:05 PM »
i am 28 weeks tomorrow- have been in hospital for 7 weeks- no h shots but those boots sarahker mentioned
Cerclage 3/6/11, bedrest at home since 3/4/11 at home. Bedrest in hospital since 4/12/11 @ 21 weeks
1st 2 babies- boy girl twins