Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Delivered baby today at 25+5 weeks  (Read 13570 times)

pinkpeony

• View Profile
Delivered baby today at 25+5 weeks
« on: May 31, 2011 at 11:34 PM »
Hello everyone.
Just wanted to update you on my status. As you can see in my subject line, I ended up delivering my baby girl this morning.
Yesterday was my 6th day on bed rest, being 25 weeks and 4 days, still far from my first goal  of reaching the 28th week.
Prior to yesterday, I had no labour symptoms except dilated cervix but yesterday I had very mild cramping in the afternoon. I let my nurse know (just in case) and she put me on the contraction monitor for an hour. Then after reading the graphs, she wheeled me to L&D around 7pm as pecaution. Even at this point, it was stil just mild cramping and tightening feelings that I thought were branxton hicks.
I spent the night in L&D with occasional contractions and pain that slowly creeped up in intensity. After a couple of vaginal exams, it looked like I was going to deliver quite soon. It was a long agonizing night because I was still hoping that this was just a false alarm and I would be able to head back to my hospital room and continue cooking my baby for 2 more weeks. At 6am, the full blown labour pain started and I knew this was the point of no return. As one of the attending doctors told me, premature birth really does progress very fast - I was fully dialated before 8am and delivered my baby at 8:37. The baby's condition looks good for now. I am optimistic... I believe she is a fighter and will become a strong baby.

I couldn't help crying every time I was with her today. It's a mixed emotion - mostly it's guilt... having to push her out of womb too early, having to leave her alone in the incubator, and so on. But also watching her breathe in air and sleep peacefully also brings joyful tears to my eyes. Those of you who have given me a lot of hope, advice, and encouragement in the last 5 weeks, THANK YOU very much. I wish you all happy pregnancy and heathy babies.

Alice

• View Profile
Re: Delivered baby today at 25+5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011 at 07:23 AM »
Oh pinkpeony, congratulations on your baby girl.

I am sending you strength and good thoughts across the ether - I know how tough it is but you must NOT feel guilty, you have done everything you can for her just like any other mother.  It's so hard leaving them alone in the incubator, but if she hadn't arrived now it would still be a while before you would be able to hold her etc, so to her it's probably just as if she's still asleep in your womb. 

If the signs are good at this early stage then that's just great - it's really important how they do in the first hours.

Please do update us on how you and your baby are doing.  Stay strong, my thoughts are with you.  I'm saying a little prayer for you now.
Lost beloved twin boys at 2 days, and one month, after preterm delivery at 27+4 in September 2010 and appalling medical care.

Healthy baby boy arrived at 33 weeks in July 2011 and is doing really well.

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011 at 10:12 AM »
Congratulations on the delivery of your beautiful girl.   You did everything you could and you have  nothing to be ashamed or feel guilty about...you did everything you could.  I will be thinking of your little girl...as the pp said it's really important how those first hours go, so i think you're off to the best possible start for her considering the gestation time.

What is your pretty girl's name??  I'd love to her it if you'd like to share.  The NICU experience isn't ideal, but you will be ok...they are like families and they will help you with anything to guide you through the process.  Best of luck and lots of prayers...don't forget you need rest too.

:) 
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011 at 12:10 AM »
Sadly we haven't even named our baby yet. We really didn't think she was going to arrive this soon. We have 3-4 names picked out and just have to decide which one of those.

I just came back from visiting my baby. I was holding her on my bare chest for one hour and singing to her the songs I used to sing for her every night before going to bed when I was pregnant with her. So far, she's stable, so I am going to stay hopeful.

Thanks for all the wishes and prayers for our baby girl. I do wish you happy, healthy pregnancy.

JenniferHart19

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011 at 03:14 AM »
My prayers are with you and your baby girl!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011 at 06:07 AM »
Praying for you and your sweet baby girl. Try to stay positive. The medical negativity can be overwhelming at first, and they are taught to discuss the worst and never assume the best. But there are stories out there of babies being born this early and doing marvelously well. Cling to those stories for now and pray.

It's not your fault. I know that's a difficult concept to conquer at this point... But it really isn't your fault. I've been the one blaming myself, and I've been the nurse encouraging and counseling the patient that it's not their fault.

Hang in there.
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011 at 09:47 AM »
Hello, Pinkpeony.

I've been thinking of you and your baby girl ever since you posted your message. I'm praying for you to have strength during this time. When you choose a name, let us know so we can continue to keep her in our thoughts.

There's a wonderful group for moms of preemies here: http://www.inspire.com/groups/preemie Everyone is SO helpful. I really encourage you to join the group.

Also, a group called Graham’s Foundation sends care packages to the parents of micropremies. Request a package here: http://www.grahamsfoundation.org/care_package_request.html

You'll also want to check out Tami Gaines' website: http://www.preemieparents.com. Tami is so inspirational. Don't be afraid to ask for support during this time. There is a huge preemie community ready to help you, and be sure to share with your friends and family the ways they can help you during this time. Never be afraid to ask for help, or a hug.
(((hugs)))
Angela

tully333

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011 at 01:35 AM »
congratulations pinkpeony. i am sending warm positive thoughts your way for you and your little one

Kristy
Cerclage 3/6/11, bedrest at home since 3/4/11 at home. Bedrest in hospital since 4/12/11 @ 21 weeks
1st 2 babies- boy girl twins

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011 at 08:18 PM »
just sending some positive thoughts your way....
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

jumama

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011 at 07:34 PM »
Congrats, keeping you and the baby in my thoughts

Alice

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011 at 02:27 AM »
Pinkpeony, I know you must have an awful lot on your plate right now, but I'd love to hear an update on how you are doing if you feel able. I really hope things are going well, but if they're not I would still want to hear and offer support, even if the news is bad. You're in my thoughts.

Love Alice
Lost beloved twin boys at 2 days, and one month, after preterm delivery at 27+4 in September 2010 and appalling medical care.

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011 at 12:13 AM »
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for thinking of us and sending me encouragements.
As some of you who have experienced preterm birth already know, the life in NICU is a roller coaster. Yes, that is what the doctors, nurses, and social worker told me at the beginning and it really is a roller coaster.
My baby is on a ventilator now but is stable, fortunately. I think I spent the first 10 days crying at her bedside but now I am emotionally more stable and somewhat able to cope. I am taking just one day at a time, whatever that comes up that day...
I will keep you updated if possible. Once again, thanks everyone for your support.

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011 at 03:47 AM »
Sending happy thoughts your way... Hang in there  ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

Alice

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011 at 05:33 AM »
Thanks for finding the time/energy to update us - so glad to hear that Little Miss Pinkpeony is stable and that you are starting to cope.  Make sure you look after yourself as best you can - don't forget that you need to eat and sleep too.

I know it's tough but we're all rooting for you and her out here.  Like you say, one day at a time... it's a marathon not a sprint.

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM »
stable is a wonderful word.  Thank you for updating us.  Take care of yourself...your little girl is in good hands.  We're all thinking of her and you!
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!