Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Hospitalized at 27 weeks & waiting 2 deliver!  (Read 4202 times)

Kimmd

• View Profile
Hospitalized at 27 weeks & waiting 2 deliver!
« on: June 01, 2011 at 04:28 PM »
Hi Ladies,

I wanted to let you all know that I have been hospitalized. It all started yesterday when I was feeling intense pressure. I contacted my ob and she said it was to be expected considering I was funneled to the stitch. She was not as concerned because I was not having contractions. Well around 4pm that afternoon I started with mild contractions about 2 every hour. In addition to that I had a white mucus discharge. I called again and they said I needed to have 4 contractions in an hour. I went about my evening. Still having them but 4. I went to sleep and they woke me. They were coming very frequent. I decided to time them. I had 4 in a thirty minute time frame. I woe my husband and told him we needed to go to l&d. I left a message with their answering svs stating what my issue was and were I was headed.

When I arrived they hooked me up the monitor and sure enough I was contracting every 8 minutes. They administered iv fluids and thought that was all I needed. After an hour on just that they my drs orders and gave me tributiline. My contractions subsided only appearing when I have to go to rr. I discharged at 10:30. I had scheduled MFM appointment so my ob suggested that I go there and checked and if everything was still stable as far as nothing passing the stitch I was to go home and remain on BR. She gave a prescription of procardia and if I still were having contractions I would then be admitted.

That plan came to a quick halt when they did the u/s and saw that I indeed had funneled past the stitch although my bag of water was still intact. My MFM and Ob both agreed that the hospital was the best place for me and my baby to be. He started me with another round of steroids before I left. They checked me in and I am here on strict Br with mo bathroom privileges :(

Nicu is coming to have a consult with my hubby and I as everyone here is pretty sure I will be delivering soon. My Ob did tell me that she is going to do everything in her power to keep her cookin for another 5 days and then I will be 28 weeks.

I am trying not to stress myself out. I am really glad that I followed my instincts and came in last night.

Kim 

pinkpeony

• View Profile
Re: Hospitalized at 27 weeks & waiting 2 deliver!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011 at 08:18 AM »
I hope you can reach 28 weeks and then have your baby.
Discussing with NICU about your baby's health is going to be really painful and devastating, even though you know that not all of those things they mention to you are going to happen and that they try to prepare you for the worst.
Just several hours before I delivered my baby few days ago, I asked the ob if he could administer any medication to delay the labour even for a few days (to reach 26 weeks) and he said waiting for another 2-3 days to meet 26 weeks did not look too much beneficial for the baby because the membrane had already been exposed and there was a greater chance for an infection. So, here I am, a mommy to 25+5 week preemie. There are so many happy-ending stories of 25, 26 weekers but I think to get to that happy ending, it takes a lot of strength, love, and faith - faith in your child and also the medical staff.
Wishing you safe birth of your baby and many more coming years of happiness and health...

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011 at 09:38 AM »
Bravo to you Kim for following your instincts! Let's focus on getting you to 28 weeks. And regardless of the outcome, know that you have done everything you can to keep your baby safe.

Has an OB talked to you about giving you magnesium sulfate? That has been shown to provide protection against cerebral palsy. (It also slows/can prevent labor) Here's a link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090120195421.htm

Sending you strength, positive thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted!
Angela

--------ARTICLE
ScienceDaily (Jan. 21, 2009) — Giving pregnant mothers magnesium sulphate when they are at risk of very preterm birth can help protect their babies from cerebral palsy, according to an international review of research involving the University of Adelaide.

The findings of this review - published January 21 on the international research website The Cochrane Library - could help decrease the incidence of this disabling condition, which affects one in 500 newborn babies overall and one in 10 very premature babies (less than 28 weeks gestation).

Magnesium sulphate therapy involves giving doses of magnesium sulphate to pregnant women via injection.

The potential for magnesium sulphate to decrease the risk of cerebral palsy in babies was first proposed in the early 1990s. The new Cochrane review, which supports this suggestion, was carried out by leading researchers from Australia (University of Melbourne and University of Adelaide), France (University Hospital, Rouen) and the United States (University of Alabama).

The review involved data from 6145 babies included in five trials of antenatal magnesium sulphate therapy.

"For infants born very premature, there is a high risk of cerebral palsy," says one of the researchers, Professor Caroline Crowther, Director of the University of Adelaide's Australian Research Centre for Health of Women and Babies (ARCH), based at the Women's & Children's Hospital.

"This new Cochrane review shows there is now evidence to support giving magnesium sulphate therapy to women at risk of very preterm birth to increase their unborn baby's chance of survival, free of cerebral palsy."

The exact mechanism of magnesium sulphate in protecting the developing brain is not certain. However, magnesium is vital for normal cell function, may protect against destructive molecules that can harm cells, and in some circumstances improves blood flow.

Side effects of the treatment include flushing, sweating, nausea, vomiting, headaches and palpitations. However, the researchers found no increase in major complications in mothers due to magnesium therapy.

"Given the positive findings of the Cochrane review, further studies will need to be conducted to clarify exactly how magnesium sulphate works as a neuroprotective agent, who should receive the medication and how best the treatment should be given," Professor Crowther says.

flavah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM »
Interesting article!!   I received the magnesium this week when I was hospitalized at 27w and they thought they'd deliver the babies.   I knew it was for speed up of brain cells, no idea on the cerebral palsy but good to know