Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: The bigger baby items  (Read 9729 times)

babygMom

• View Profile
The bigger baby items
« on: June 15, 2011 at 05:48 PM »
This is our first baby so everything is very new... including learning about what baby items are needed.

I was wondering if anyone has some advice/suggestions for strollers?
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

threacatcher

• View Profile
Re: The bigger baby items
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 at 06:42 PM »
When my hubby and  I were looking at strollers and carseats, it was suggested by several people that we go with a graco travel system. The Chicco carseats and strollers seem to get recalled more than the other brands.
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

momofbabyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011 at 07:11 PM »
I have a Graco travel system that I got when I was pregnant w/ my son. We like it really well & have never had any problems w/ it. The only thing I would suggest looking for in a carseat, for convenience sake, is an adjustable strap on the front of the carseat. It usually comes out between baby's legs. It's much easier to adjust the straps that way, especially since babies grow so fast!
due 8/1 - a girl
Mom to Blue, born 10/7/09 @ 37 weeks
Bedrest @ 22 weeks due to short cervix

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011 at 09:58 PM »
babygmom- The travel systems are the absolute best. The convenience of having a carrier/carseat that buckles into a base in the car, with a one-handed release which also buckles straight into the stroller (again, with a one-handed release) is irreplaceable. You don't have to wake up the baby to transition from the carseat to the stroller. Gracco and Chicco have the highest ratings, I believe I got Chicco. I bought my stroller (double stroller) off of Craigs list to save money.
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011 at 10:17 PM »
I fell in love with the Britax B-ready travel system. I will be honest - it ain't cheap and it ain't compact but it's considered one if the safest. I have the chaperone infant seat and the bassinet. www.britaxusa.com

My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM »
i have to say that i got the travel system with my son and i HATED the stroller..I got a "snap n go"..the carseat snapped in and it was so light and easy to collapse and fit in my car...it's personal prefernce..go to Toys r us  (or make hubby do it) and make sure you can handle whatever stroller you choose...push it around, fold it up, have hubby lift it...we ended up selling the unused monster stroller on craigslist...

this time with twins we are getting the double snap n go...double strollers are even scarier!!
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

Marvin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011 at 01:24 AM »
I had a Graco travel system with my first. It was super light, which I loved. With my second I had to buy a Chicco carseat, as they were one of the very few that would fit a baby under 5 lbs (my daughter was released from the NICU at 4.5 lbs and could not pass the carseat test in the Graco.) It was a bit heavier, but I felt so much safer using it and liked the design better. I'll definitely be using it for this babe. I got the City Select stroller to go with it, as I can easily add on a second seat for my daughter to use.
Mom to two preemies
On bedrest with #3 since 23 weeks (EDD 8/15)

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011 at 08:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! I definitely need something easy to move and pack up so the lighter the better, while also safe of course. Will let you know what we end up getting :)
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011 at 03:57 AM »
Ok- so Babies R Us is having a three day sale with strollers, etc. Just thought I'd post this link in case you had a stroller you wanted from there!

http://view.ed4.net/v/1TPNZ2/DV4YF/LSHB4ML/MWI1RE/MAILACTION=1&FORMAT=H?csm=207481736&csc=1401206&csa=205651560&csu=1402705&camp=CME:20110616_Em_BRU_3-Day%20Sale
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011 at 10:57 AM »
Thanks mckoygirl!

ChristianLouboutinUk

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011 at 02:16 AM »
 :'(

autoimmunelife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011 at 08:30 AM »
I can't remember the brand of carseat we used with Lily. My FIL bought it at Walmart on his way to get us from the hospital, as we didn't have one yet since Lily was preemie.

Instead of a stroller we used a sling... if you go that route do lots of research, and make sure your sling  is the right size for you, or if it's one that can be made any size, make sure you havei t in the right position, as they can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

We were (are with our older kids when they are with us rather than their bio mom and stepdad) attachment parents, and will be again in the future, so that's something to take into consideration when you read my suggestion.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me... I'm trying to get on here more again.

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM »
Instead of a stroller we used a sling... if you go that route do lots of research, and make sure your sling  is the right size for you, or if it's one that can be made any size, make sure you havei t in the right position, as they can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Yes - we also are planning on using a couple of babycarriers. Have been spending a lot of time looking into that online, talking with others and trying them out at a local store. My hope is to do babywearing most of the time and stroller when needed.

autoimmunelife

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011 at 01:18 PM »

Yes - we also are planning on using a couple of babycarriers. Have been spending a lot of time looking into that online, talking with others and trying them out at a local store. My hope is to do babywearing most of the time and stroller when needed.

If you'd like I'll look up the site we got the one my husband used and see if they have a deal going on right now (they do frequently) for the slings.... I'd recommend getting one ... they have the measurements on the site so you know you are getting the right size. Lily and Johnny both loved it. We hadn't bought mine yet, since I was recovering from a really hard pregnancy and bedrest....
On a somewhat related note..... labor was nice and easy over all after having so many weeks of contractions and all .... now if only the pregnancy could have gone anywhere near as smoothly.

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011 at 01:58 PM »
If you'd like I'll look up the site we got the one my husband used and see if they have a deal going on right now (they do frequently) for the slings.... I'd recommend getting one ... they have the measurements on the site so you know you are getting the right size.

If it's easy to find the site you used, please do send along :) Thanks!