Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: 36 weeks pregnant, Cerclage Removed, Bedrest Lifted , 3 cm dilated 80 % effaced  (Read 12387 times)

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
Oh my gosh - boy I didn't know what I was in for. I admit, I read tons of blogs online about the cerclage removal process. I read the horror stories. I heard about cerclage removals gone wrong - but I had no idea that my experience would fit right in with those. Now I should start by saying - I'm not angry at my doctor. I don't feel like he did anything wrong - but this was a painful experience. It also sucked that there was no anesthesia for this whole procedure.

When I arrived at the peri, the nurse offered to do one last abdominal ultrasound. It was great to see our little baby and to get another confirmation that she's doing fine. When the peri came in, we settled down to get it out. First he tried the plastic speculum. I've always hated the clicking sound they make. I felt pinching pains here and there but it was bearable. He finally said - I can't reach the stitches, I need to go in manually and pull the thread down. He pulled it down - OUCH - and put the speculum in. That didn't work. He tried again. No luck. This went on for about 20 minutes, and then he said - I think I need a metal speculum. It will open everything wider and won't pinch as much.

Now with the metal speculum in, I'm wincing and blurting Owww over and over. After another 15 minutes of trying - he explains that my cervix has grown over the stitches and he needs to basically go in deeper, push the cervix back and then access the stitch. He goes on to explain that it's going to put me in more pain and I have the option to leave the stitch in until I deliver - then the OB can remove the stitch when I'm in labor.

I'm sorry that idea simply didn't work for me. I had a vision of an OB desperately trying to remove a stitch he wasn't familiar with. I had a vision of my stitches tearing into my cervix. NO THANKS! I told the peri, "here's the deal - I'll stop complaining about the pain - and you just get this thing out of me. I am not leaving here with a stitch in me." He said, "OK" and went to work. DH stood next to me and gave me his hand to hold. I kept up my end of the bargain, I didn't complain one more time. I simply squeezed DH's hand harder and harder and dug my nails into his hand. I also started having contractions while this was going on - so I was trying to breathe through them.

This went on for another hour!! I have to admit - it hurt like all hell. This wasn't the 10 minute nip and tuck that women talk about with their cerclages. This was someone clawing at my insides trying to find stitches that were so high up inside of me - my cervix grew over them. Add the pain of my baby sending lightning crotch sensations down - and ugh - it was hell. Eventually the peri looked up and said - all done! He held up the stitch and said - Got it!!! It was a dark green mass of thread with blood all over it. Gross I know - but I have never been so happy to see a bloody piece of string! The nurse congratulated me on how well I was doing. The peri pulled the speculum out and told me he was going to check me to see how I was doing. He reached in there and gave me a quick cervical exam. He announced, "You're 3 cm dilated and 80 percent effaced." Just like that - I realized - my body was getting ready to drop this baby. He suggested that I maybe have a week or so left before labor settles in.

After all was said and done and cleaned up, I hobbled to the bathroom, put my clothes on and made my way to the nurses' station to get my last 17p injection. I don't know why but the shot burned like hell today! Ugh - I can't win today! Anyway - I said my goodbyes, hugged the nurse, promised to send pictures and said my goodbyes. The peri asked me to bring the baby in when she was born.

I won't say this is the most painful thing I've ever endured - but it was an hour and a half or so of some seriously excruciating pain. My lower half feels crampy and definitely feels different - but I feel a serious sense of achievement. I have been wishing for the day that my cerclage gets removed for months and that day came. I was not about to be a failure and leave with the stitches inside of me. I'm glad I did this because without a cerclage I'm convinced I would have lost this pregnancy. Now we're taking bets on when labor will come. I'm kind of excited to see when she will make her appearance.

I have survived 15+ weeks of bedrest - and I still have my sanity and my pregnancy! Woooot!
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Yikes! After all that, labor will be a walk in the park! No, a bike ride in the park. Wait, never mind the park. Labor will be a day at the beach.  ;) Keep us posted!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
flowerchica- Wow... I'm so sorry! What a terrible experience!  :P 
The light's getting closer though! You're almost there!!!
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

flowerchica

• View Profile
Yeah it was crazy but I lived through it - and I'm good now - so I'm glad to be sitting here waiting for labor!
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
Wow, you have my appreciation!  I'm a little hesitant about having mine removed, but hopeful that it will be removed during my c-section.  Blessings to you and your little girl who's coming soon!
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

babygMom

• View Profile
Congratulations for getting through such an ordeal!

I was not given a cerclage as an option and I must say I have only just recently started considering what labor could/will be - perhaps with all those thoughts recently crowding in my brain, reading this had my jaw dropping lol

You're baby can't say it yet but I am sure she will want you to know YOU ARE AWESOME!
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

Alicia

• View Profile
    • Baby and Toddler Food
youch!
i'm wondering what is happening about being dilated and effaced?
just wait and see.
you doing modified rest?
any rest?
Bed Rest number 2 under way!
Jet - Still bith at 20 weeks
Sakura - Emergency stitch at 20 weeks for 9mm cervix with bedrest till 34 weeks when she was born
'Cisco'-  Stitch at 15 weeks and bedrest at 21 weeks with 1.7cm cervix. Finger crossed!
http://babyandtoddlerfoods.blogspot.com

flowerchica

• View Profile
I'm hoping they can give me a cervical exam tomorrow when I see the midwife. I'm dying to see if I've progressed. I'm completely off of bed rest - in fact DH and I have been DTD but no luck. I'm walking around like a mad woman ( sometimes for hours) trying to see if I can help labor progress along. I'm 38 weeks tomorrow!