Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Eventful Week  (Read 2684 times)

momofbabyblue

• View Profile
Eventful Week
« on: June 15, 2011 at 07:39 PM »
Last week (at 31 weeks) I started having some contractions. They weren't consistent or painful, but they made me nervous since my cervix has been funneled to the stitch for several weeks. By the time my appointment rolled around on Thursday, the contractions had increased in frequency & discomfort and I planned to talk to the OB about them. I definitely felt like they were stronger than they should have been. Unfortunately my regular OB was on vacation last week, so I saw a different doctor in the same practice. As soon as he looked at my U/S results and saw the state of my cervix (nothing had changed since my last appointment) he seemed to freak out. Started telling me about bedrest & pelvic rest. I informed him that I'd been on bedrest for several weeks already. When I asked him about the contractions, he hardly listened to me. I mentioned them again before the end of the appointment and specifically told him that my regular OB said he would start Procardia if I started contracting. Without asking any further questions he told me I wasn't a candidate for it.

Over the weekend my contractions slowly increased in frequency and by Monday morning they were getting regular and painful. I immediately called my OB's office (he was back from vacation!) and was told to go straight to the hospital. We went in and sure enough, I was in preterm labor, 100% effaced & 1 cm dilated. Thankfully, they were able to get the contractions stopped & my stitch didn't tear. I am now home from the hospital & on Procardia which is working quite nicely :) Hoping my baby girl has a few more weeks to grow before she makes her appearance!

If the fill in doc would have just listened to me and given it to me last week, we could have avoided preterm labor & another hospital stay!
due 8/1 - a girl
Mom to Blue, born 10/7/09 @ 37 weeks
Bedrest @ 22 weeks due to short cervix

lulu45

• View Profile
Re: Eventful Week
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011 at 07:59 PM »
Wow, you are lucky. I call my Procardia my nitro-glycerin, because I carry it around with me in case things kick up. Then I take an extra dose and chill out ( luckily I am still working, though in a reclining chair). I wish you had had some with you for a just in case. I don't understand why current medicine isn't more pre-emptive about pre-term labor. are you doing the P17 also? does the procardia give you headaches? or loss of appetite? that's been my experience with it.
due date Sept.10, 2011
IC and preterm labor
natural conception at 45
stitch holding at 24 weeks.

momofbabyblue

• View Profile
Re: Eventful Week
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011 at 09:28 PM »
Well I have it now! I'm on the extended release version, so I'm only supposed to take it 2X a day. So far that seems to be working. I do wonder if I could take an extra dose if the contractions kicked up again. I'll have to ask about that. I am also doing the 17P injections and trying to make sure I stay hydrated. I have definitely noticed that the contractions increase if I don't drink enough water.

So far I haven't really noticed any side effects w/ the Procardia. I had a mild headache yesterday, but not today. My appetite has been decreasing just in general. I feel like I'm running out of room since baby is getting bigger and I get full really fast when I eat nowadays. Sometimes my 20 month old son eats more than me!
due 8/1 - a girl
Mom to Blue, born 10/7/09 @ 37 weeks
Bedrest @ 22 weeks due to short cervix