Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Crazy stranger comments  (Read 4072 times)

mckoygirl

• View Profile
Crazy stranger comments
« on: June 16, 2011 at 09:31 AM »
How many of you have been asked if you were having twins? Ok, so I KNOW I am having twins, but as a total stranger, how is it appropriate to ask me that?! I actually was bigger with my daughter and don't remember anyone asking me that!

I was  told yesterday (again, total stranger) I have a "two-butt tummy".... what the heck is that supposed to mean?!  ???

Oh yeah, one girl-worker at Mcdonald's asked if my babies had the same father, because she had heard sometimes twins could have different baby's daddies....   ::)

I don't know what it is about pregnancy that removes social boundaries, but it can be frustrating.  :-\  Don't touch my belly if you don't know me or have my permission (& don't ASK to touch my belly)!!!!

Since I've been off strict bedrest, I've been out more and have been accosted by complete strangers nearly every time I've been out! My husband thinks it's funny. I, however, am hot, moody, volatile & ready to not stand out like a clown in a crowd!
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

threacatcher

• View Profile
Re: Crazy stranger comments
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011 at 12:28 PM »
Mckoygirl- Seriously! While I'm not having twins anymore, when I was on modified bedrest people in the grocery store and such would come up to me and go "wow. You're huge." And then touch my belly. I don't know what it is about pregnant women that make people think "oh. They have no boundaries anymore" I'm not big on being touched in the first place, so when people come up to me and touch my belly, it is quite unnerving.
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011 at 03:39 PM »
Every person (ok not every, but a LOT) who finds out we're having twins asks if I was doing IVF...seriously?  My fertility is your business.  I got annoyed with one lady at Ralphs and told her "no, we did it the old fashion way...good old sex" and walked off.  It just irks me to no end. 

We've gotten plenty of "wow you're big"...but i think every pregnant lady gets that rude comment.   ::)
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011 at 03:50 PM »
threacatcher- I'm a hugger, but even I don't touch a pregnant woman's tummy (except when my job requires me too!), nor do I comment on how big someone is.

mom2Z- I've gotten that frequently too. People just assume if you're pregnant with twins you must have had fertility treatments, and again, for some reason they think it's their business to ask!  :-\  I've just gotten to where I spout out a bunch of answers before I'm asked.... "Yes, it's twins, no I'm not due yet, we don't know the sexes and we weren't even trying to get pregnant." Literally, I've spouted it out a few dozen times.... and it shuts people up.  ;)
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011 at 04:43 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that people do not think when it comes to interacting with a pregnant lady! Seems to be the norm anyways.

I have been tiny from the start so now that I am showing family and friends are getting more excited. I've yet to have a stranger do or say anything random yet. Not sure how I'll respond - I suppose it will depend on my mood ;)
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

pinkpeony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011 at 02:05 AM »
Though this is not about a total stranger, I did have some ladies in my workplace who used to touch my tummy (with or without asking for my permission)... I felt kind of awkward, but not quite offended. And some would comment that I had such a small baby bump and compared mine to that of another lady who was also pregnant at the time. This, I didn't enjoy hearing. However, after my pregnancy lasted only 6 months and my third trimester was entirely skipped, I now kinda miss that attention, albeit intrusive.

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011 at 03:10 PM »
LOL, this discussion made me laugh because I feel the same way about people just reaching out and touching me.  I heard once to start touching the other person's belly when they go to grab yours.  They'll look at you strangely and that's when you've got their attention.  I don't mind belly touching if someone I know asks, but if you don't ask... don't touch!  SHEESH!
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11