Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 4005 times)

mckoygirl

• View Profile
Breastfeeding
« on: June 13, 2011 at 07:09 AM »
OK, so I started looking up breastfeeding twins today and was directed to You Tube for some instructional videos. They really didn't tell me anything I didn't know already... HOWEVER - I did come across some videos of 30 month-old twins breastfeeding. I have to admit, I  was kind of grossed out. Does anyone else have an opinion on this (optimal age to breastfeed to)?!  :-[
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

JenniferHart19

• View Profile
Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011 at 08:55 AM »
I would look up the World Health Org. Standards... I think 24 months is the suggested time... In other countries 30 months is not that uncommon, it's only in America (it seems) that people get grossed out by something that is so natural... I used to count myself among those people until I did some research and started talking to people about it. In the end, it boils down to what is right for mother and child (children) whether that be 6 months or 3 years. Hope this helps :D

mckoygirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011 at 02:46 PM »
Jennifer- I breastfed my daughter until she was 17.5 months old. I couldn't believe the flack I caught about breastfeeding her so long! I think I'll feel differently when the babies are here and may even want to breastfeed (if even possible with twins this time) as long as possible. My husband thinks it's odd to breastfeed after they're a year old, but I LOVED breastfeeding my daughter and the bond we shared.
Due date: 7/7/2011
Twins (we're not finding out the sexes!)
5th pregnancy (5yrs old-put on bedrest with her @ 35wks for PIH)
3 previous losses
Put on bedrest this pregnancy @ 17weeks for Cervical shortening & preterm labor
Thanking God for each day I'm given with my twins!

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011 at 01:20 PM »
I definitely hope to breastfeed. Have not thought much about how long - admittedly I did find it quite odd when a friend shared about an acquaintence was breastfeeding their 3+ year old.

Thought I'd share this link to Momzelle - breastfeeding apparel: http://www.momzelle.com/
I have not tried them yet (no need to for a few months lol) but they have great reviews and a friend of mine highly recommends.
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

BedrestPractitioner

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011 at 05:45 PM »
I believe every woman and her baby are unique.  It is best to assess your relationship with your baby, and what he/she needs.  I think there are times when inappropriate emotional bonding play a part in the nursing experience.  It helps to:

assess your baby's nutritional needs
create healthy boundaries and bonding with your baby

~Nicole

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011 at 06:13 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what the right age is as I have never breast fed but here's my take - The second my baby is able to bite my nipples .. it is time to wean. I have no preference for other people. I would think that if my child is old enough to climb up and open my shirt, and I still want to breastfeed, I would pump and let them bottlefeed.
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

ChristianLouboutinUk

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011 at 02:16 AM »
 :D

autoimmunelife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
I would look up the World Health Org. Standards... I think 24 months is the suggested time... In other countries 30 months is not that uncommon, it's only in America (it seems) that people get grossed out by something that is so natural... I used to count myself among those people until I did some research and started talking to people about it. In the end, it boils down to what is right for mother and child (children) whether that be 6 months or 3 years. Hope this helps :D

This!

Our older daughter was breastfed by her biomom until she was almost 4......

I fed our youngest for her whole life (SIDS claimed her at 13 days old) and likely would have breast fed until she weaned herself (our older daughter started weaning at about 2).....

The recommendation at this point (In the US) is at least the first 6 months should be exclusive breastfeeding.