Author Topic: need advice and encouragement shortened cervix 21 weeks  (Read 18564 times)

twins

• View Profile
need advice and encouragement shortened cervix 21 weeks
« on: July 06, 2011 at 08:36 AM »
Hello all,

I am currently 21 weeks pregnant with boy girl twins, during my 20 week ulltraound they did a routine cervical length check and found me measuring 2.1 cm.  I have since been put on bed rest and go back tomorrow to have it remeasured.  I am terrified of losing these twins - I can't eat, sleep or focus on anything but all the possible outcomes. 

Should i ask my doctor about a cerclage, how long can a cervix hold up at that leght before going into labour? Please give me some advice/understanding/encouragement?

Thanks,
L.
Natural boy/girl twins!!
EDD November 1, 2011 (based on 38 weeks)
Bed rest at 20 weeks for cervical shortening
Cerclage placed at 21 weeks after further shortening
13 weeks and 1 day of strict bed rest and Mario and Amelia made their appearance at 33 weeks and 4 days on October 1, 2011!

threacatcher

• View Profile
Re: need advice and encouragement shortened cervix 21 weeks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011 at 04:38 PM »
Hi L. Welcome to the forum!

I'm glad that your doctor put you on bedrest. As much as bedrest sucks( I know I was on strict bedrest for 23 weeks straight) it can do amazing things. I had a shortened cervix at 2.1 and a few weeks later when they remeasured, it was up to 3.2. If you rest your cervix(doesn't that sound weird?) it can get longer again. Did they tell you if you were dilated at all?
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011 at 05:28 PM »
Hi!

at what week was your shortened cervix identified?  i feel like the later in pregnancy the better - it seems so far away to get to 37 weeks from 21!  I am so overwhelemed.

My docotr told me that it can't go back up?  But obviously yours did and i see from looking at other posts some other peoples did as well!  This is encouraging.  i have it remeasured tomorrow - did your peri offer a cerclage?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 at 05:43 PM by twins »
Natural boy/girl twins!!
13 weeks and 1 day of strict bed rest and Mario and Amelia made their appearance at 33 weeks and 4 days on October 1, 2011!

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011 at 05:32 PM »
i am praying for good news! i have been so down.  there was noexternal dialation - but baby a was head down and exerting pressure on the cervix at the time and there was a little bit of funneling.  Maybe baby a will be transverse and there will be less pressure this time - here is to hoping anyway.  i just can't imagine as the babies get bigger the cervix holding out for so long.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 at 05:42 PM by twins »
Natural boy/girl twins!!

IFoverachievers

• View Profile
    • The Infertility Overachievers
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011 at 05:45 PM »
I am also currently on bedrest for a shortened cervix. I am pregnant with a singleton, but last pregnancy went into preterm labor at 24 weeks (managed to keep him in until 37 weeks though ;D) At 16 weeks my cervix was 5.9cm and at 20 weeks it was down to 2.5cm. My Dr put me on complete bedrest for one week and remeasured. It had gone back to up to 3.5 cm. I am now 22 weeks and on modified bedrest (15 mins on my feet/45 mins laying down) with cervical measurements every 10 days.

From my understanding your cervix can DEFINITELY lengthen (as mine is proof). When is your Dr re measuring?

Try not to stress too much, although I know, easier said than done.
**Aly** Proud Momma thanks to the miracle of IVF and then PTL at 24 weeks, born at 37w :) . Expecting #2 also via IVF on November 9, 2011. Shortened cervix at 20 weeks= bedrest again.

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011 at 05:49 PM »
Hi L!

I'm not carrying twins, but at week 19 my cervix measured 2.2cm so my dr asked me to go on "cautious" bedrest. I am now at week 29 and the last cervix check (about 3 weeks ago) it was 3.2cm. Still on moderate bedrest so as not to risk anything but things are certainly looking up. I'd rather be safe than sorry anyways.

I don't have a cerclage - it wasn't offered in my case.

I hope you find this forum helpful. There are a lot of wonderful ladies to talk with.

Keep us updated on how things go tomorrow. And, try to eat - you and your little ones need the nutrients. Also, as difficult as it is, try to relax. Take one day at a time.
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:12 PM »
Hi all!  I am glad to hear it can go back up - hopefully that will be the case when they remeasure tomorrow!  I am terrified of pre-term labour - how did they stop it and manage to take you all the way?  I am so scared to lose the babies and fear that statistics aren't on my side - but am trying to be as positive as i can be (i don't sound very positive tho do i?)  Both your stories make me feel better tho!  I really hope the doctor isn't all doom and gloom tomorrow - i need positivity right now!

I am finding it hard to eat on bed rest due to excuciating heartburn! and loss of appetite.
Natural boy/girl twins!!

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:14 PM »
did any of you guys ask or explore cerclage with your doctor? also - do you lie flat on your back all day or prop up your back and head so you can watch tv, movies or read etc.?

How long did it take for your cervix to stabilize and stay the same?  How do you deal with the terrifying unknown and what do your doctors say prognosis wise?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 at 06:20 PM by twins »
Natural boy/girl twins!!

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:19 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!  You will find that you will be hooked on this site.  There are tons of women on here that have similar stories to yours.  Mine included.

I'm pregnant with a single baby.  At my routine 20 wk appt - the sonographer asked me if I have had any bleeding or contractions.  I haven't had anything out of the ordinary at this point.  I told him no and he proceeded to show me that my cervix was short and funneling.  My doctor sent me to Peri doc the following week.  My appt there went wonderful (they were very informative) and they decided to admit me and do an emergency cerclage (I was at 21 weeks and a few days by then).  Before the cerclage I measured 1.4 cm, after I measured 2.1 cm.  That was 13 weeks ago.  Ever since 20 weeks - I've had transvaginal ultrasounds every 2 weeks.  My doc originally said my cervix would not get any better (just like yours), however, since the cerclage was placed - I have improved in measurements every time.  A week ago - at 32 weeks I was measuring at 3.98!  I've been on bedrest for the whole 13 weeks also - getting up to the bathroom and take a shower.  Your story sounds exactly like mine.  There are risks involved with the cerclage, but I believe that getting a cerclage and being on bedrest has helped me make it to the 33 weeks I am today.  We were really scared that we'd lose our little one.  You are among the lucky women who found out your cervix was short before it was too late.  From what I've read - some have it and never know until something bad happens.  I would talk to your doc about a cerclage/bedrest and what they feel is best for you.  I'd also make sure they keep a close eye on your cervix.  Getting my ultrasound every 2 weeks has helped my mental sanity.  Also, you mentioned the pelvic pressure - the surgeon who placed my cerclage said that once my baby got bigger - the pressure on my cervix would decrease because the baby would be resting on my pelvic bones instead of pressuring my cervix.  Bedrest is hard.  Do you have other children?  I've got two little girls who I desperately want to play with outside, take to the park, etc.  It sucks!  The first few weeks are the hardest, but I think the time has gone by pretty quickly.  

Keep us posted on what you find out!
Lori
Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:23 PM »
I also have horrible heartburn.  It's a problem when you are told to lay down.  I pop a pill every day when the heartburn starts.  Also, I've been told to lay mostly on my left side.  I prop myself up on my left elbow so I can eat and watch tv.  Sitting isn't an option since it still adds pressure to the cervix.  Hang in there!

Lori

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:38 PM »
Hi Lori,\

Your cervix improved a lot!  I have read conflicting things about cerclage and its benefit in a twin pregnancy - i guess I will ask my doctor tomorrow.  Were you ever admitted to the hospital?  I have no other children to contend with so i am lucky - did you have problems with the short cervix in your other pregancies?
Natural boy/girl twins!!

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011 at 06:49 PM »
Hi Twins - I was never admitted to the hospital besides the overnight stay after my cerclage.  It was a bit of a rocky road during my first few weeks on bedrest.  I did end up going to the peri doc a few times that weren't scheduled.  My hubby and I did a lot of reading online - be careful with that - I think it made me a mess in the beginning because you get ALL of the stories and some are really extreme.  My cervix kept measuring better and better at each 2 week appt.  Now that I've finally made it past 30 weeks - I've allowed myself (with permission from my regular OB) to get up and go out to a restaurant once in a while.  Otherwise I try to stay down as much as possible.

I would definitely ask about the cerclage - with twins I'm not sure how that's handled.  I didn't have any of these problems with my other two kids - although my little Addie did come at 37 1/2 weeks - which I have a suspicion that I may have had a shortened cervix really late in pregnancy with her - I will never know since I didn't have any ultrasounds with her later on - who knows.  Also, I have never had any real preterm labor issues this time - I thought I may have had some around the 22-25 weeks but when I got checked out - my cervix was looking really good so they weren't concerned. 

Lori

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011 at 08:15 PM »
Dr. Google is defnitely not the best source - but i have to say i spent about two days reading blogs etc. which just scared and depressed me. Did you have any braxton hicks contractions at all?  Sometimes i feel my stomach tighten and i get nervous that this is affecting my cervix.
Natural boy/girl twins!!

Amy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011 at 08:49 PM »
Welcome L!  Our stories are very similar - except I am carrying just one little boy.  My shortened cervix (1.9 cm) was discovered during the anatomy ultrasound - I was 19 weeks plus a few days.  I was on restricted movement for 2 weeks.  These weeks were rough for me but I managed to stay fairly optimistic as my doctor was not super concerned.  However my follow-up ultrasounds have been a roller coaster, first 0.9cm, then 4.0cm and back down to 2.0cm last Wednesday.  I was admitted to the hospital for monitoring and given several options.  Definately speak with your doctor about bedrest, a cerclage, progesterone shots/suppositories.  Find out your options and get as much information from your doctor as possible.  We felt my best option was a cerclage. (By this time I was also dilated 1cm.) My perinatologist put a cerclage in when I was over 22 weeks and I am now on full bedrest with bathroom and shower rights. I did spend 2 nights in the hospital and was released last Friday with decreased funneling.   I have my next check Friday.

My emotions have been crazy this week.  I will feel great and then I will think of something - or my husband will make an innocent comment or ask a question and I just lose it.  Today is the first day I have felt slightly better.  In my opinion, it takes time to adjust to your new reality - and it can be scary!  My advice is to stay busy.  Today my goal was to start my baby registry.  Tomorrow I am going to work on researching car seats, etc. 

I prop myself up slightly on my left side - can't sit due to increased pressure like another poster stated.

Amy

Preg. #1 - Ivy born @ 39 weeks w/ no complications (12/06)
Preg. #2 - Missed Miscarriage around 8 weeks (10/08)
Preg. #3 - Lincoln due 10/29/2011
Shortened cervix @ 19 + 3
Pelvic rest and restricted activity since 6/8
Cerclage placed @ 22+4
Bedrest since 6/29

twins

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011 at 09:09 PM »
Hi Amy, how long did your doctor monitor you with ultrasound before deciding on the cerclage?
Natural boy/girl twins!!