Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: DH gone for a week - tips?!  (Read 2806 times)

babygMom

• View Profile
DH gone for a week - tips?!
« on: July 17, 2011 at 02:19 PM »
My husband is going to be away for about a week starting Wednesday. Otherwise, he works from home - which has worked out well for the pregnancy. So, normally he takes care of my meals etc.

I was wondering what some things have been useful for other bedresting moms when you are on your own throughout a day? What are some things we can plan ahead of time to make things easier when he is gone?
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

Couchdiva

• View Profile
Re: DH gone for a week - tips?!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011 at 09:51 PM »
Hi there!  My hubby hasn't been gone for an extended period, but when he goes to work during the day - he makes me a cooler of goodies to keep me throughout the day.  A few bottles of water, yogurt, fruit, chips, granola bars.  Some of these things you could just keep by your bed/couch at all times when he's gone and just worry about a small cooler of perishable items.  Also, I would sometimes have him make me a PB&J or a turkey wrap - things that can keep in a cooler for a while.  You could make one trip each morning to make a lunch and grab some goodies and that should keep you for the daytime.  Then maybe have him stock up on some easy things to make in the oven/microwave - pizzas, etc.  If you have close friends nearby - maybe tell them your hubby is going to be gone for a week and see if they can plan visits and bring something for dinner (and grab the mail when they come).  That way you get dinner as well as some company so you're not so lonely.  Maybe make a list of things you want to do when he's gone so you have something to fall back on when you are bored.  Watch movies, read, catch up on emails, phone calls, etc.  You are probably doing these things anyways, but I know it helped me to write down some things and when I felt "brain dead" then I could look on the list. 

Hang in there - you'll make it through.  :)
Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

sarahker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011 at 08:41 AM »
Hi Babygmom -
My husband worked very long hours while I was on bed rest (just delivered last Thursday!), so I understand what you're going through - he wasn't around very much, so things like meals required a lot of extra planning.  One thing that I found very helpful was buying lots of "snack packs" the type you would buy for a bagged lunch, with things like carrots and hummus, veggies and dip etc.  Also, my husband would cut up cheese and package up baggies of crackers so I could just grab from the fridge.  Also, our gourmet grocer had many fresh prepared meals (we live in NYC so I think we have a little bit of an advantage there) that he would pick up at the begining of the week and stash in the fridge, and I did a lot of delivery as well.  I'll admit, it wasn't really an ideal situation, especially when I was craving something that wasn't among the already prepared items, and it certainly got lonely, but I did catch up on a lot of reading.  It also helps to have a friend or two who can stop by and bring a meal, load the dishwasher or throw a load of laundry in for you, but I'm sure you know that already.  Good luck! 

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM »
Thanks Ladies!

Just found out he'll only be gone 5 days now - not so bad lol

Before he goes he's going to bring up a small fridge that currently just stores some drinks in the basement. We'll put all the snack-type stuff in that to minimize trips to the kitchen. We've talked about meals, too - keeping it simple but healthly :) I've emailed a few friends to see if they are able to come by.

Congrats, Sarahker, on delivering last week!
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).

babygMom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011 at 07:15 PM »
Just a short update - I survived my time on my own :) Spent two of the nights at my parents and two home. Managed to eat often and healthy. Did get lonely at some points (usually right before bed) but I think the saying is true "absence makes the heart grow fonder" hehe