Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Monday Roll Call for July 18  (Read 6694 times)

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Monday Roll Call for July 18
« on: July 18, 2011 at 08:51 AM »
Hello, ladies!

We had a few deliveries last week, including FlowerChica, who had battled infertility, PCOS, IVF and incompetent cervix for six years. Congrats, mama! She has promised me she will share her story with us today for Roll Call. Also, Sarahker delivered her boys last week at 33+6. Keep them all in your thoughts. Here's her latest post about the boys: http://forum.keepemcookin.com/index.php?topic=1956.msg6413#msg6413

Let us know how many weeks along you are, and tell us how you're feeling. Do you have any appointments this week or news to report from last week?

Keep 'em cookin', mamas!
Angela

Join our live chats Tuesdays and Thursdays at 2 pm Eastern: http://www.keepemcookin.com/thechatroom.aspx
Symptoms of preterm labor: http://www.keepemcookin.com/symptoms.aspx
Follow Keep 'Em Cookin' on Twitter: http://twitter.com/KeepEmCookin

babygMom

• View Profile
Re: Monday Roll Call for July 18
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011 at 10:26 AM »
Hey Angela and ladies,

Congrats to FlowerChica and Sarahker!

I posted an update http://forum.keepemcookin.com/index.php?topic=1958.0 so I won`t repeat everything but I did have an u/s mid-last week that showed a cervix measurement of 3.2cm (same as the last measurement) but then had some spotting on Friday. The u/s on Friday measured 2.5cm but no source for the bleeding. All has seemed ok since then but definitely reinforced the need for bedrest for me.

Hoping for an uneventful week!

Oh, and I'm at 31 weeks - on moderate bedrest since week 20.
Infertility defeated with Natural Family Planning - Creighton Model and NaProTECHNOLOGY (fertilitycare.ca).
Duedate Sept 18th for our first baby.
On moderate bedrest for short cervix.

flowerchica

• View Profile
    • I've started blogging my PCOS/Infertility/IVF/Incompetent Cervix Battle
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM »
Hi ladies - Sorry for missing last week's roll call. I was still in the hospital with our baby girl. So this will be my last roll call. It is so cool to have survived this and graduated into motherhood. For those of you who are still on bedrest - do not lose hope. I did 104 straight days of bedrest rest and had tons of complications - but it was totally worth it!! She came in at 8 lb 9 oz and 21 inches

Here are some pics and my birth story if anyone wants to read about a crazy delivery :)

It sounds like a complete oxymoron - I'm an infertility warrior who is writing about her birth story. That being said - what good is battling infertility if you can't have a victory? On Saturday our bundle of joy was born. My entire battle with miscarriage, infertility, PCOS, incompetent cervix and ultimately a high risk pregnancy was riddled with setbacks and challenges. So it is only fitting that my delivery (the ONE thing I wasn't worried about) ended up being just as painful and traumatizing as everything else I had to deal with to get to this point. As bad as this 12-hour labor was, I was happy that I got to take my baby girl home.

On Saturday I had an induction. I also elected to have an epidural. Now I can tolerate pain as well as the next person, but I don't believe in being in unnecessary ( aka elective) pain. I'll start on Thursday before the induction. I went in to see the midwife. She offered to strip my membranes ( OUCH). After that she told me I might deliver at any point. She was just about to schedule my week 40 appointment when I reminded her that I had gestational diabetes and was supposed to deliver before 40 weeks. She quickly changed her tune and scheduled my induction. It would be at 5 am that Saturday.

At 4 am DH and I got up and made our way down tot he hospital. I had been actively emptying my colon for the 2 days before because of fears of crapping myself while delivering. I hear that happens a lot so I didn't want to increase my chances. We got checked in around 5 am and by 5:45 or so I was in a labor and delivery room and hooked up to an IV. This time the IV experience was positive. It was nothing like the IV fiasco that happened when I was dehydrated. The nurse got me started on pitocin and they ran that for a couple of hours. Somewhere around after starting my pitocin, the midwife came in and broke my water. It wasn't a bad experience. It felt like warm water trickling out of me gush by gush. She asked the nurse if she felt that the amniotic fluid looked stained. She told the nurse to make sure that the respiratory team was on site when my baby was born. She explained that it's precautionary - but she thought there was meconium in the amniotic fluid. If there was, my baby might need a little help breathing - so they would be in the room.

I felt mild contractions, but it wasn't bad at all. I opted for an epidural as my pain relief. A few hours into my pitocin, the anesthesiologist came in to do my epidural. He seemed like a nice enough doctor. He explained the epidural process to me and went ahead and put it in. I felt the numbing work its way down my leg - and ahhhh - I calmed down. I knew that pain relief was soon to follow.

Once the epidural kicked in, they decided to crank up my pitocin. I felt mild cramps here and there but nothing major. An hour passes and I notice that I'm starting to feel contractions more. That didn't bother me but it got to a point where my pain level was about a 6. Now the continuous epidural has a button where you can administer more medication to yourself. I clicked on it too many times trying to slow the pains, and it cut me off and wouldn't up my dose any further. The nurse called the anesthesiologist and his physician's assistant came in. She offered to make me comfortable and added some more medication to my IV. By now, I was feeling full on contractions, but still only a level 6. My pain levels didn't change with the new dose. I also noticed something strange.... my feet weren't feeling numb at all. In fact, my knees were feeling ok. I started moaning from the pain and asked the nurse to get me some pain relief. I said something was wrong.

The Physician's assistant eventually arrived, 30 minutes later. She mentioned that she had to re-dose me. I heard another woman yelling in pain faintly in the distance. By now I was having trouble tolerating the pain at all. She put 3 vials of something and added Fentanyl to my IV. I kept trying to tell her - it's not the medication - I'm not numb any more. She leans over and says - I tried to tell the doctor  your epidural is probably failing - but he wants me to change your dose first. Well she changed my dose and there was absolutely no change. In fact, at this point the contractions were coming every 60 - 90 seconds. They were well over level 10 pains. The nurse tried to tell me to breathe through the contractions but they were so bad I couldn't breathe.  Every contraction made my lungs and heart sieze up and my heart rate went crazy. My baby's heart rate was jumping all over the place because I couldn't breathe. I started to panic. I told my husband - I'm dying.... I can't do this. I won't be able to push even if the baby comes. I need help - please!!!!! I was crying and screaming hysterically and I just knew I was going to die. I was also scared because I knew with the pain I was in - I couldn't push - and if I couldn't push I'd need a c-section....but if they couldn't do an epidural I couldn't do a c-section. They had pumped me full of over 12 vials of anesthesia and none of it worked.... I was terrified that we were going to lose our baby.

Finally the nurse goes and grabs the anesthesiologist. He tries to ask me about my pain level - all I can do is cry and moan. He tells me it seems the epidural has failed - so we will need to do another one. He asked me if I could sit up. I tried, but I didn't have the strength - plus the contractions were just coming non-stop. So they helped me on my side. I had to pause every time a contraction came because I just couldn't even breathe. He puts the epidural in and says he's going to use a drug that works faster. Well the drugs did work, and my pain levels came down - and I was able to talk. I was able to mention to the nurse that I felt like pushing when those contractions were going on. And then I passed out..

WTH? Well it turns out that the anesthesiologist - in an attempt to address my pain management quickly - ran my medications too fast. That made my blood pressure crash. And when I say crash - I'm not saying going kind of low - it dropped to about 70 / 30. I vaguely remember people frantically putting things in my IV. I remember being given epinephrine in an attempt to stabilize my blood pressure. I kept panicking - and I remember telling my husband that I think I'm dying. I was crying hysterically because I was too exhausted to push. I told my husband - even if they stabilize me - I don't know if I can actually push. Eventually they managed to get my blood pressure under control. It leveled out around 90/45 or so. I was so out of it I didn't have the wherewithal to ask how my baby was doing. When I started to get back to normal,  I sort of came to and told the midwife that I thought it was time to push.

She checked me and said - yep I can feel the head - and WHOA there's a lot of hair. So they put me in stirrups, my husband held one of my legs and we started pushing. I noticed that the respiratory team was standing by in my room. By then my contractions were still going strong but they felt like mild pressure. Every time I felt some pressure, I pushed 3 times. The whole process took only 20 minutes or so. When I gave the last push, I felt sort of a pop - and my baby was out. They put her on my stomach and before I knew what was happening - she grabbed my finger and I cried. I couldn't believe I was holding my baby. I expected them to start rubbing the baby to make her cry - but they said they wouldn't do that. My baby made a few weak cries but had a very strong grip on my finger. I asked them if she was ok - and they said she was good.

Then they handed my baby over to the respiratory team. My husband got a chance to cut the cord and the midwife worked on getting my placenta to pass. The respiratory team got to work on my baby. They were spanking her on the back, rubbing her and getting her to respond. Then they said , well she's having some trouble breathing. We're going to have to take her to the NICU. We don't know how long it will be. She might be there for a few hours or a few days. I shed some tears and told my husband to go with her. They assured me I'd get to see her before she went. Right before they left, they literally held her over me so I could touch her and then whisked her off.

I cried hysterically in the bed. The midwife got to work stitching me up ( although I didn't know what was what she was doing at the time). I was bleeding quite a bit and sort of out of it. I remember hearing the nurse and midwife talk about how many units of blood I'd lost. They kept running the pitocin IV to get my uterus to cramp down. I remember them massaging my stomach over and over to try and press down on my uterus.

It felt like an eternity, but my husband returned to the room to tell me what happened to our baby. He said she's in the NICU. She has a lot of meconium in her lungs. One lung cleared, but the other one isn't clearing on its own. They have her on oxygen and are working to clear her lungs. I was just completely devastated. My little baby was struggling and I couldn't be with her. They finally stabilized me in the labor and delivery room and prepared to transport me to the recovery room upstairs. When I got up there - I had a nurse and a tech monitoring me. They kept checking my vitals and checking my bleeding.

They told me that my first three trips to the bathroom would have to be with their assistance. By this time, my husband had been to the NICU to tell me that our baby was still ok but not ready to be released. They were trying to lower her oxygen levels but she would start hyperventilating. We called the NICU probably hourly asking for updates as to how she was doing. They also told us they thought she had an infection and were giving her antibiotics. I was feeling strong enough to go tot he bathroom, so I called the nurse. They helped me out of bed, and I walked to the bathroom. I looked back and I had poured blood all the way from the bed to the bathroom. That was the most stressful bathroom trip I'd taken. They still had me on a pitocin drip. Hours passed, and I did 2 more trips to the bathroom. I was still bleeding, but I wanted to see my baby. The nurse allowed my husband to take me to the NICU.

They put me in a wheelchair stacked with towels and I put the IV machine between my legs and off we went. I got to the NICU and emotionally broke down. My husband was too uncomfortable with picking her up because she looked so fragile. I asked the nurse if I could hold her. In my mind, if she didn't make it - I wanted a chance to know my baby. I held her and she just looked so helpless and so fragile. I cried as I held her. I think we spent maybe 45 minutes with her  -and then I felt nervous that I might be holding her back from her treatment. The NICU nurse put her back on the machines and my husband wheeled me back to the recovery room. I cried the whole way back to the room.

When we got back to the room, I felt such a sense of emptiness. It reminded me of how our house had this beautiful nest for our baby and there was no baby. We were sitting in our recovery room after a delivery and it was still just the two of us. The nurse and tech kept working on me- and somewhere around 10 in the morning, they told us, they are going to release your baby to you. Around 11 or so, they brought her in to our room and I cried again. I just held her and held her and didn't want to let her go. I couldn't even let her sleep in the bassinet. She basically slept in my arms for the next 24 hours. They still had her on antibiotics. She had her left arm all wrapped up with an IV line. It just broke my heart to see her so fragile. They came in and would work on her - and I cried listening to her cry as they flushed her IV. My recovery was fairly non remarkable after that.

I didn't need pain killers. She was doing great so they agreed to release me. They were still keeping her but I'd be allowed to stay in the room with her until she was released. Several hours after releasing me, they agreed that she was doing good, so they released all of us.

We took that first drive home and I shed some tears but I was so happy. She's absolutely beautiful. She's mine and to me she looks like a miracle on earth. Everything that I endured to get pregnant and then to stay pregnant was absolutely worth it. Even now as I write this and I shed a few tears remembering what I was going through - I wouldn't have traded it for anything. I absolutely love her.
My infertility warrior blog
Graduated from 104 days of bedrest. My IVF Baby girl born in July 2011 perfectly healthy @ 39w2d, 8lb9oz and 21 inches. 6 years of infertility battles have been overcome!

twinsat44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I am 18 weeks and 4 days along now after IC and cerclage and placenta previa.  My twin girls are growing well and so am I  ;D  I have been on strict bedrest for over 5 weeks now.

I am so excited today because my sister and her family are coming to visit for 3 days.  I can't wait to see my adorable nephews!

Congratulations to sarahker and FlowerChica  on their special deliveries!

Have a great week of cookin Mamas!!!!!!!!

mel2266

• View Profile
Monday Roll Call for July 18
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011 at 01:22 PM »
Hi everyone!

Well, we crossed the 35 week mark yesterday, and surprisingly, my cramping and contractions over the last few days have been at a minimum.

I did blog about all this, so you can read it here:  http://jonathanandmelanie.blogspot.com/2011/07/update-34-week-ob-appointment.html

We have another appointment on Thursday, but the doctor did tell me that since I've had the steroid shots for her lungs and I'm now into my 35th week, that if I do go into labor, they won't stop it and they will just go ahead and deliver our baby girl.

Our first, Noah, was 36 weeks to term when he decided to come.  I had gestational diabetes with him, but no bedrest.

I've been passing the time, really, by blogging and hosting giveaways! LOL.  Passes the time quick, actually!

Jonathan primed the baby's room and just needs to paint it before he moves the furniture in.  Then I'll be in there putting away her clothes and what not, before her arrival.

I also had maternity shots done yesterday!  Had the photographer come over here :)

Look how sweet:

http://www.pinklightstore.com/Family/The-Melugins-71711/18093926_WBhZgR#1387956384_KHMvndw

Congrats to all the new mamas!!!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011 at 01:23 PM by mel2266 »

oliviathompson530

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011 at 02:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Sorry I missed roll call last week, but I was still in the hospital with Jabari Mekhi Thompson. The crazy part is I am back on semi bed rest due to swelling in my feet legs and ankles.

Jabari was officially the quickest labor I have had thus far. After 3 days of mild contractions coming every 6 mins, on Saturday July 9th, they stopped completely.Hubby and I had a delivery to make to a store that was interested in carrying my earrings. The store was located 45 mins from the hospital.

We get to the mall, drop the earrings off and decided to eat and catch a movie to celebrate. We ate in the food court and purchased tickets to see zookeeper at 4:20 . We get inside the theater just in time to catch the previews. Just as the movie was about to start...the contractions started and they were 2 mins apart.  I climbed onto my scooter and zoomed out of there. Midway through the mall, the battery died.  Hubby had to push the rest of the way. The time is now 4:48 and we finally get to the car. Contractions are still 2 mins apart. 36 mins later , we arrive at the hospital and my water broke in the admissions office. They wanted me to fill out papers, but I kindly(not really) told the woman to get me to the delivery room.The nurses told me to wait for the doc, who came in 1 minute later. My regular  doc was out of town so I had to settle for a 76 yr old man that resembled Smeigel from Lord of the Rings. He then leaves out because he forgot something. The time is now 5:45, I am still fully clothed, HypnoEars still dangling in my ear, and laying on the delivery table ready to push.
At this point I screamed several 4 letter words and demanded to push. at exactly 5:58 Jabari was born ... 7 pounds 2 ounces of baby boy...

If I had to do bedrest all over again I would, he was so worth it. Hang in there mamas...

threacatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011 at 03:13 PM »
Hi Ladies!
Congrats to the mommas who delivered last week. I'm still here at 37 weeks+ 3 days! I can't believe I've made it this far. I am finally off bedrest! Woohoo! My 26 week stint on bedrest was more than enough for me. I still don't have much energy, so I really don't do much more than I used to, but being able to prepare my own meals and clean(Never thought I would be excited to clean the house) is an amazing blessing. I know it will all be worth it when our baby girl decides to arrive.
 My Ob is expecting me to pop any day now. I'm really hoping for today, since my hubby can have tomorrow off work with no problems. My last appointment was last tuesday and I was still at 2cm dialated and 20% effaced. My grandparents are currently up here(Washington State) visiting from California. I really hope our baby girl decides to come while they are up here, so they can meet their first great- grandkid.

Keep 'em cooking ladies! You are doing awesome so far!
On bedrest for 26 weeks, Linnea Rose Thyme Manchester born 08/05/11.

On bedrest with baby #2 due 10/6/12.

babyrom

• View Profile
    • 43 and Pregnant
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011 at 03:26 PM »
Hi everyone,  Congratulation to the momma's and their new babies, what wonderful picutres!   I am still hanging in here at 29weeks3days...woohooo...will be hitting the 30's soon!

I have my doctor's appointment tomorrow, can't wait as they also scheduled a growth ultrasound so will get to see the little chap:)  I was getting ultrasounds once a week up until 4 weeks ago, so I kinda got hooked on them, and have since been going through a bit of u/s withdrawal.  I can't wait to see him and find out his weight, etc!  All the other U/S showed that he was growing well and actually larger for his gestational age, which makes me think that perhaps I am further along than they think.  We will see what tomorrow brings!  I did the gestational diabetes test last week, so those results will also be in.  Hope everything is fine there.  I read that GD can result in larger fetal growth....hmmmm.

Still sticking to the strict bed rest.  I have actually almost completed an accounting course while on bedrest, only one more assignment, then I write the final exam at the end of the month (in bed of course with a invigilator monitoring).  So it was not all a waste, got something productive done.

Keep up the good work ladies and I will let you know how my appointment goes.
Due Date - Sept. 30/11 - A little boy!
Two angel babies - Baby Marina born March 1/03 at 20 wks cause unknown. Baby Aimee born Feb.17/08 at 16wks after failed elective cerclage.
This Pregnancy:  Cerclage placed on May 5/11 been on bedrest since.
Natural Conception at 43!  Baby due on my 44th Bday

Couchdiva

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011 at 08:43 PM »
Hi Ladies!  I'm at 35w + 1 day today.  I've been a little more lenient this weekend - and after 104 days on bedrest (according to my hubby who likes to remind me) I think I may have overdone it.  Still cooking my little guy.  My last appointment was last Tuesday.  I had my last ultrasound - which showed my cervix down a little to 3.14cm from the 3.98cm previously.  Still good though.  My little guy is also measuring a week older than he should be - so I'm excited that he's been holding steady on that.  I tend to deliver kids ready for kindergarten.  :)  So far everything is going well and I've started to pack my bag for the hospital just in case. 
Mom of 2: Ella 5 yrs, Adeline 19 mos
Baby Boy due Aug 21, 11 (c-section scheduled for 8/15)
Bedrest since 20 wks, IC & cerclage @ 22 wks

lilcapmom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011 at 01:55 PM »
Hello all!

Congrats to those who delivered. The pics posted were adorable!

I am 34w + 2 today and can officially start adding in some more activity.  It's actually been nice to do dishes and some laundry. I feel like there is a ton to do before our new little one arrives, but I am trying my best not to overdo the activity.

At my appointment last week, they have my c-section scheduled for 8/22. I'm excited to have the date, but it sure makes it very real that we will have our new addition very soon. 

I have another appointment Thursday with a NST test, but I don't think they plan on doing any more ultrasounds.

Happy cooking ladies.  Hope everyone's week goes well. 

Happy cooking

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011 at 02:07 PM »
Hey girls! We're talking in the Chat Room right now! Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 pm to 3 pm Eastern time. Stop by!

http://www.keepemcookin.com/thechatroom.aspx

amyelly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011 at 04:12 PM »
Hi, I'm new to this website!
I'm 26 wks 6 days and have been on hospital bedrest for 13 days now.... :-[ I'm on bedrest due to my cervix shortening. I'm down to .8 cm - so I'm holding on by a thread! I was checked again last week and my cervix is still the same but my FFN test came back negative - yay! Goal is for me to make it to 28 weeks and then reevaluate. Trying to stay positive and not get lonely or depressed. My two kids - Jack - 1yr and Kayla - 3 yr old and my hubby are an hour away due to our local hospital having no NICU. I miss my babies so much!!! :'(

Hanging in there,

Amy
Stayhome Mom of two kids - Kayla Rose (3 yrs old) and Jack (1 yr old). Married for almost 10 years. Live in sunny Santa Fe, NM!

Amy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM »
Congrats on the new babies!

I am 25+3 today. I had my weekly CL check on Friday and I am holding steady around 2.1-2.4cm.  This Friday I have an OB appointment and then a perinatal CL check with a growth scan.  So excited to see how my little man has grown!

This week my husband is out of town so my parents are visiting.  Their visit has already been a huge blessing as they are not only caring for my daughter, but also taking care of basic upkeep on our house - staining the deck, replacing a toilet, deep cleaning, etc.

I have also come the realization that I am having huge anxiety about the school year - school starts in less than one month.  I will only be 29 weeks at that time, so I am slowly beginning to cope with the fact that I will not be present.  Until Friday I had held out hope that the doctors would start relaxing my activitiy restrictions... but that does not appear to be happening.  This realization has caused me to have severe meltdowns this week regarding finances and my job.  I love my job and now I feel as though my favorite time of the year has been taken from me.  Writing sub plans for the four classes I teach - two of which I have never taught before seems impossible.  I am going to speak with my OB on Friday about this new anxiety issue.

Amy

Preg. #1 - Ivy born @ 39 weeks w/ no complications (12/06)
Preg. #2 - Missed Miscarriage around 8 weeks (10/08)
Preg. #3 - Lincoln due 10/29/2011
Shortened cervix @ 19 + 3
Pelvic rest and restricted activity since 6/8
Cerclage placed @ 22+4
Bedrest since 6/29

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM »
HI all...what amazing pictures and birth stories!!!!  I'm holding on at 33+1 today.  Had a doc appt yesterday...I've blown through all the goals he had set for me so now he's given up and is planning on scheduling my c sect for 38 or 39 weeks.  My cerclage will be removed on Aug 8th at 36 weeks.  I'm really nervous about that...I don't think i'll make it long once they take that out.  I have .5mm of a cervix...let's be honest...it's held steady for a month, but only b/c of that cerclage!!  Anyway...every day makes me feel safer and safer.  Neither of my docs can believe I've made it so far...I even bought a few things that I'll need immediately in case they come home with me!  I'm not having a shower until after they are born.  I'm so close to having three kids...eeeek! 

Good luck to us all!  Keep cookin'!
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

babyrom

• View Profile
    • 43 and Pregnant
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011 at 02:24 PM »
Mom2Z - Congrats on making it this far.  I know the feeling, I hit 30 weeks tomorrow and have surpassed expectations as well.  We are getting there!!  Just wanted to ask why they are scheduling a C-section?  I get my cerclage removed at 35 weeks and there was no mention of a C-section, and when I asked they said they only do it in an emergency or if absolutely necessary.  I too am not having a shower until baby is home, when it is real.  Keep up the good work!  Cheers:)
Due Date - Sept. 30/11 - A little boy!
Two angel babies - Baby Marina born March 1/03 at 20 wks cause unknown. Baby Aimee born Feb.17/08 at 16wks after failed elective cerclage.
This Pregnancy:  Cerclage placed on May 5/11 been on bedrest since.
Natural Conception at 43!  Baby due on my 44th Bday