Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Home Monitoring Service for Contrations  (Read 2664 times)

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
Home Monitoring Service for Contrations
« on: July 28, 2011 at 09:09 AM »
Anyone else have the home monitoring service approved by their insurance?  I just learned I need to get set up with this service for preterm labor, but was warned that insurance rarely covers the service.  My doc said some people will pay out of pocket and the company that provides the service might work out a financial deal with you. 

Anyone know more about this??  Or about how much it might cost?  I'm afraid I might get sticker shock and have to refuse the service even though it sounds awesome.
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
Re: Home Monitoring Service for Contrations
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011 at 08:36 PM »
Tell me more about what the home monitoring service offers. Just monitoring for contractions, or also looking at your vital signs and reviewing preterm labor symptoms? And remind us how many weeks you are. Thanks!

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011 at 10:57 AM »
So far, I think just monitoring for contractions and preterm labor, but I'm not 100% positive if it does more.  I'm getting set up with it this afternoon so I'll keep you posted!  :)

Wasn't sure I'd make it a few days ago, but I'm 25 weeks today!!!!  :)
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

Taya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011 at 01:11 PM »
I have nurses coming out to the house twice a week for non stress tests and monitor signs for preeclampsia. My insurance covers at 100% but i have been in the hospital 6 times this pregnancy.  This is so much cheaper for the insurance company. It is quite nice having them come to my house so i don't have to stay in the hospital.

sarahker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM »
Hey - Sorry for the late post - my boys have kept me pretty busy these days so I haven't had a chance to check back into this site.  I used HUAM monitoring from when I was discharged from the hospital at 29 weeks until I deliverd at 33+6.  My insurance did not cover it, but I was able to work out a deal with the monitoring company.  It came out to about $60 a day (down from $89), and included a home visit from a nurse, and daily (1-2x) calls with a nurse.  My diagnosis was preterm labor, so the monitoring at least provided peace of mind after being discharged from the hospital, but to be honest, I already KNEW what a contraction felt like, so I didn't really need the monitoring service to tell me when that was happening.  I'm not sure what your monitoring service covers, but if you aren't feeling contractions at this point, the service would be helpful to let you know when you're having them, but if your contractions are obvious, you can probably monitor them on your own... for me it was more of a peace of mind thing, knowing that I had someone to talk to for advice or if I was anxious about any of my symptoms (without having to bother my physician for everything!).  Sorry I'm not more helpful, but just wanted to relay my own experience.

Hope all is well!  Good luck with everything. 

Sarah