Stuck in BedStuck in Bed

Author Topic: Frustrated about Contractions  (Read 3894 times)

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
Frustrated about Contractions
« on: August 05, 2011 at 07:49 PM »
I was under the impression that being given Progesterone shots and taking Procardia would prevent preterm labor.  So far, that's been the case.  And now I had 2 contractions today.  I'm feeling pretty confused... and a little bit scared.  :(

Any other experience with these drugs and contractions?
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

twinsat44

• View Profile
Re: Frustrated about Contractions
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011 at 09:35 PM »
I don't have any answers for you but I just wanted to say that I hope everything is okay.

Surely someone will know the answers!  I am on progesterone also and would like to know.

babyrom

• View Profile
    • 43 and Pregnant
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011 at 03:38 PM »
I am on the progesterone but not the procardia and have been getting contractions since 16 weeks, I am now 32weeks.  Lately my contractions have become more frequent and more noticeable (before it was hard for me to distinguish if it was in fact a contraction..now I know it is).  I know the progesterone is supposed to help relax the uterus and therfore is useful in preventing pre-term labour, but this is not always the case for everyone, as we are all individuals and react differently.  Right now I get about 10 contractions a day.  They are not painful, just the tightening, bulge.  I guess they would be considered Braxton Hicks, I don't know?  I was told not to worry about them unless they got to 10 minutes apart, or if there was bleeding, spotting the accompanied them.  I mentioned them to my doctor last week and he wasn't concerned.  I have a nurse phone me everyday to check in and I always mention the contractions to her, and she is not concerned.  So I guess we shouldn't be too concerned.  They said it was just the bodies was of preparing.  Maybe if I wasn't on the progesterone the would be worse..who knows? If you are only getting two a day I wouldn't worry about it, but do mention it to your doctor.
Due Date - Sept. 30/11 - A little boy!
Two angel babies - Baby Marina born March 1/03 at 20 wks cause unknown. Baby Aimee born Feb.17/08 at 16wks after failed elective cerclage.
This Pregnancy:  Cerclage placed on May 5/11 been on bedrest since.
Natural Conception at 43!  Baby due on my 44th Bday

Mom2Z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011 at 08:28 PM »
I'm on procardia (since 26 weeks) and on Progesterone since 16 weeks...I'm now 35+3 and I get contractions all the time...you aren't going to stop them completely...BUT if you're getting enough, let your doc know so he can adjust your dose if necessary.  I have to come off of it on Monday...I do not want to feel MORE contractions, but I'm getting close so what can you do.

Most likely your contractions are BH, but it's definitely worth a talk with your doc!
Janet
Mom to Z born 9/28/07 at 31 wks
Corinne b/d 05/21/10 (IC)
Jake and Cassidy born 8/15/11 after a cerclage and months of bedrest!  Take that IC!

regencymom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011 at 06:16 PM »
Hi there!  My name is Amy and I'm 33 weeks.  I've been on modified bed rest since 26 weeks due to contractions.  I'm also on Procardia and weekly Progesterone shots.  I'm in the same boat as you as my contractions have only decreased in frequency not gone away.  I actually had 2 contractions in the middle of the night that were so painful I got tears in my eyes.   Speaking of tears, I feel like crying a lot due to the isolation of bed rest.  I try to get out once a day, but end up getting dizzy and light headed.  I'm thinking it is the contractions that cause these feelings.  Have you had any side effects of the contractions, i.e. dizzy, nausea, cervical changes?  My cervix has not changed so I definitely thank God for that.

How are you feeling today?

Feeling your pain,

Amy :)

MommaToOlivia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011 at 01:13 PM »
I would check with your doctor but the dizziness sounds like a side effectvfromthe procardia.  I have had a headache on and off every day since that time.  My dr even adjusted the dose I'm taking which helped but didn't eliminate the symptoms altogether.  We put up with this to keep our babies in... Or at least give them a fighting chance.  :)

The problem with my contractions is that I don't feel them... They're silent... And since I don't know they're happening I can't keep track of them. :(
Mom to Olivia, 26 Weeker now 6 years old
Mom to Hannah, 18 Weeker in Heaven
Mom to Baby #3 (another girl!), due 11/11/11

sarahker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM »
Hi Momma to Olivia  -
I recently delivered my twin boys at 33+6 after 10 weeks of bedrest, procardia and progesterone (dx PTL/short cervix).  I can honestly say that my contractions never actually stopped altogether.  I think the main issue is whether the contractions start to become "organized" (e.g. are they becoming regular, closer together) and are they causing the cervix to soften or shorten.  If your contractions aren't doing either of these things, it's probably ok, but certainly talk to your phyisican about that.  Good luck with everything! 

Sarah

Angela

• Administrator
  • It's all good. 39 weeks...no sweat
    • View Profile
    • KeepEmCookin
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM »
Maxmomma,
We have more info about Procardia and other tocolytics here (about three-fourths of the way down the page):  http://www.keepemcookin.com/prevention.aspx
Hope you'll check it out!